Football: What goes up, must come down.

23 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Poor performance from United against a team missing so many key players.

We obviously needed to play better anyway but I think too much is being made of this when we were missing three of our four best players to begin, of which only Shaw was by choice (and even he needs a rest sometimes clearly), and while Fred is not one of our four best players he is also definitely better than Matic at this stage, and Cavani similarly is our best point-man, so really we were as far from our first choice team as they were.

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Not sure how Mctominay managed to avoid a second yellow. Weird game. Milan could feel a little hard done by the officiating but United have missed two wide open nets. 

The only thing Milan can feel hard-done by is the potential McTominay red card, which was odd but not stonewall. The handball wasn't glaring but it was a goal possible only by what initially seemed a wonderful bit of control that it turns out was his hand, it was hardly an incidental glance despite the minimality, and the offside was really really clear.

We did not play well but really neither did Milan.

Also let's acknowledge Amad Diallo and also how good that pass was from Bruno coz that was epic.

To be fair the replays they showed initially (and when I commented) didn’t show even a glancing contact. They showed a bunch more replays at halftime that showed it but it was still so minimal that I would be pretty pissed if I was Milan fan. I don’t think Milan were necessarily bad. I thought they did pretty well away from home with the absences they had. Definitely deserved the equalizer. 

in a dream world Liverpool sign Kessie to replace Wojnaldum when he leaves in the summer. What a player

18 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

but it was still so minimal that I would be pretty pissed if I was Milan fan.

I mean if I was a Milan fan I'd be pissed coz it's an annoying thing to happen but this isn't one of those situations where VAR made a baffling decision or an impossible-to-call offside: catching - with minimal fuss, it didn't take long - hard-to-spot but definite fouls that led directly to goals is pretty much exactly what VAR was brought in for in the first place. It's a perfect showcase of what we want from VAR.

11 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

in a dream world Liverpool sign Kessie to replace Wojnaldum when he leaves in the summer. What a player

Pretty sure Thiago was the signing to replace Gini. I really don't expect another midfield signing when Gini leaves. Fab/Thiago/Hendo/Ox/Keita/Jones/Shaq/Milner are plenty in that area. Pretty injury prone list though...

But if Shaq (and maybe Milner) leaves as well, then I think we will have to get someone.

Milner is really getting on now, and he hasn't been good enough for a couple of years. He's fine for putting on to run around for the last twenty minutes of games we need to see out, but it would be better to not have to rely on him.

Jones too. He's not there yet, so it would be nice if we weren't forced into using him as we have been for so much of this season.

Henderson has been pretty injury prone for the past few years, and Fabinho seems to pick up his share too, so we do need decent depth. (And I haven't even mentioned Keita!)

16 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Huh, maybe Odegaard is good then? Bit of a shocker from the keeper though.

He's played well so far. Definitely has a bit of Ozil to him (good ball control, good passes, good spatial awareness). If Arteta ever goes back to Pepe/Cedric on the right (rather than the boring Willian/Bellerin), could be a fun side to watch.

1 hour ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Pretty sure Thiago was the signing to replace Gini. I really don't expect another midfield signing when Gini leaves. Fab/Thiago/Hendo/Ox/Keita/Jones/Shaq/Milner are plenty in that area. Pretty injury prone list though...

But if Shaq (and maybe Milner) leaves as well, then I think we will have to get someone.

How was Thiago signed to replace Wijnaldum when he literally wasn’t. Love Keita and Ox but they are too injury prone to be relied upon. Milner won’t last forever and when he does play he isn’t nearly as influential as he used to be. Shaq isn’t really a “midfielder”.If we did lose Gini we would almost certainly sign a replacement imo.

Chris Wilder leaving Sheffield United. Not really surprising: reports are that he demanded more money whereas the owner was unhappy with how he's used the funds given to him already, which is a fair point really coz they've not been profligate by the standards of many teams but they've spent about similarly to the likes of Brighton and vastly more than Burnley and yet all their best players seem to be the ones who came up.

Combine that with Wilder's inability to adjust to teams now being ready for their unusual, center-backs-overlapping tactics, and it was on the cards.

38 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Chris Wilder leaving Sheffield United. Not really surprising: reports are that he demanded more money whereas the owner was unhappy with how he's used the funds given to him already, which is a fair point really coz they've not been profligate by the standards of many teams but they've spent about similarly to the likes of Brighton and vastly more than Burnley and yet all their best players seem to be the ones who came up.

Combine that with Wilder's inability to adjust to teams now being ready for their unusual, center-backs-overlapping tactics, and it was on the cards.

Rhian Brewster was a bizarre transfer choice.  I expect he’ll develop well eventually, especially with more time in the Championship first, but it was foolhardy to expect him to save the Blades this year.

13 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

How was Thiago signed to replace Wijnaldum when he literally wasn’t. Love Keita and Ox but they are too injury prone to be relied upon. Milner won’t last forever and when he does play he isn’t nearly as influential as he used to be. Shaq isn’t really a “midfielder”.If we did lose Gini we would almost certainly sign a replacement imo.

Gini was supposed to go last summer but that obviously didn't pan out.

To be fair to Wilder, injuries hurt his side quite badly, and were especially noticed because he had pretty settled side, the replacements brought in really didn't perform to the same level. 

A big issue was also losing Dean Henderson.. Ramsdale isn't on the same level.

Having said that, they can't score goals and Brewster hasn't worked out at all.

Archived