Football: What goes up, must come down.

Reports that Gladbach have reached an agreement with Xabi Alonso to take over from Marco Rose. 

eta. And in some bad news for the rest of the league, Sam Lee is reporting that City's representatives held initial talks with Alf-Inge Haaland a couple of weeks ago. 

On 3/22/2021 at 11:16 AM, Consigliere said:

Reports that Gladbach have reached an agreement with Xabi Alonso to take over from Marco Rose. 

Kicker is shooting those reports down.

In short. There were talks between Alonso and Gladbach, but they were not at the point where they talked details. And he is not their top choice. So he will not take over at Gladbach next season.

Edit.

In other German Headcoach news.

Leverkusen have sacked Peter Bosz. I was wondering, who would get axed first, him or Hoeneß at Hoffenheim. That question has been answered now.

Hannes Wolf will take over at Leverkusen until the end of the season.

I’m loving the conspiracy theory doing the rounds that Ashley WANTS Newcastle to get relegated as the regulations for who can own a football club are softer in the championship. So he can let the club slide out of the Prem, sell it to the Saudis or whoever and still get a reasonable price.

Sounds ludicrous but not when you consider that Mike Ashley is a total piece of shit.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I’m loving the conspiracy theory doing the rounds that Ashley WANTS Newcastle to get relegated as the regulations for who can own a football club are softer in the championship. So he can let the club slide out of the Prem, sell it to the Saudis or whoever and still get a reasonable price.

Sounds ludicrous but not when you consider that Mike Ashley is a total piece of shit.

if he truly cared about being competitive and giving the supporters of the club anything positive he wouldn't have let rafa get away and appoint steve bruce. Bruce has been absolutely useless. any real club would have sacked him by now. 

with the lack of tactics, the frustrations of the players and the mass of injuries i see them needing some jonas Gutierrez level heroics to stay up. 

People are trying to find some reasonable explanation for the reason their club is being run the way it is. As despicable as deliberately getting relegated to make the sale of the club easier is, it would at least make some sense. That conspiracy theory even looks more likely than a scenario in which a man who's rich enough to buy a Premier League club is so incapable of running it properly.

52 minutes ago, MercenaryChef said:

if he truly cared about being competitive and giving the supporters of the club anything positive he wouldn't have let rafa get away and appoint steve bruce. Bruce has been absolutely useless. any real club would have sacked him by now. 

with the lack of tactics, the frustrations of the players and the mass of injuries i see them needing some jonas Gutierrez level heroics to stay up. 

... he definitely doesn’t care about the club being competitive. That has been obvious for quite some time 

Quite a bit of controversy in Serbia-Portugal match. In added time Ronaldo's shot was officially cleared from a goal line, though it looks like it crossed the line. No VAR in World Cup qualifiers so the ref's decision stuck. Not sure about goal line technology, why it wasn't used or if it was even there or what the rules say about it. If it Serbia and Portugal end up on the same number of points it could turn out to be a pretty significant mistake. And it seems quite clear it was a mistake.

As you can imagine, Ronaldo didn't take that well and he complained quite passionately, to say the least, to the linesman so the ref booked him. After that, Ronaldo left the pitch and threw away the captain's armband on his way out. I understand that the ref made a bad call in a very important situation but that behaviour was more suitable to a spoiled brat than one of the greatest players of all time. All other things aside, I know I wouldn't like seeing my national team's captain throw away the armband like he did.

Ronaldo has and always will be a massive twat. His own stats are much more important to him than captaining his country, or his country winning.

I'm pretty sure he'd take losing in a World Cup final 4-3, having scored a hattrick, over winning 1-0 with someone else scoring the goal.

Archived