Football: What goes up, must come down.

6 minutes ago, mormont said:

Expensive high-profile English player with low resale value available, come on, it writes itself. Kane to Man U it is.

I mean let's not play I would bite your hand off for Kane in our team. Him and Bruno together? Yes fucking please.

Also Leeds keeping our title dream alive. >_>

Leeds have put in an immense performance in the 2nd half with 10 men. Was expecting City to blow them away.

4 minutes ago, mormont said:

Expensive high-profile English player with low resale value available, come on, it writes itself. Kane to Man U it is.

Kane won't leave Spurs to join United. That's pretty much a lateral move. If his goal is to compete for league and champion's league titles then he will not have that at United anymore than he does at Spurs.

4 minutes ago, mormont said:

Real do have a long standing interest as well and don't care so much for resale value.

Maybe at one point but it's been clear for a while now that Mbappe is high priority for Perez and I think they'd rather take a much younger Haaland who can eventually be the long term replacement for Benzema.

2 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

If his goal is to compete for league and champion's league titles then he will not have that at United anymore than he does at Spurs.

I know we have to be realistic and also that you're more cautious, particularly about Ole, than I am, but Spurs to us is not a lateral move. We're likely to be in the CL again for the second season they would not be in this scenario, we have vastly more money to further build the team even when we're spending it in a barely competent manner, and possibly most importantly for all his humble reputation he's definitely got the confidence in himself to see himself as a missing piece that could push us on from where we are to the title level.

I don't think we will get him because the focus will be in Sancho, so we'll get Rafinha and let the striker question slide, but I think if we did decide we want to, he'd be open to it. Main sticking point would be price.

I don't think Kane would be open to a move to United. In a scenario where Kane has made his intentions to leave clear to Levy, he would have much better options than United. A 'finished in the top 4' trophy and 'just making up the numbers in the CL' next season is not much better than where Spurs are now.

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

I agree the odds of him moving this summer are low but idk if he tries to force a move things could get dicey. I don’t think City will be in for Haaland with Pep and Raiola not getting along. Kane makes a lot of sense if he is available. 

That's overblown I think. It's not like Guardiola has daily interactions with the agents. That's Txiki Begiristian's problem. And the issue was originally between Zlatan and Pep, with Mino standing up for his client iirc. United are also not fond of Raiola, they would still very much do whatever he asks, if that were to get them Haaland. Dortmund also have had their issues with another Raiola client, Mkhitaryan. Result is, Dortmund are still doing business with Raiola (you know what you sign up for), and Mkhitaryan is a persona non grata at Dortmund. Anyway, back to Haaland, he is linked to City and Real. Real being the more long term suitor

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Haaland is the most likely pick, yeah, but there are arguments for Kane over him. He's proven in the Prem, for starters, and he's probably a more immediate fit for Pep's style- while Haaland clearly can fit in a fairly intense, high-press team he's clearly very much a traditional on-the-shoulder 9 wherea's Kane's always been more half-and-half even before the assists started flowing.

That's old Pep. He happily worked with Lewandowski at Bayern, and with Aguero at City. Haaland is still young and can broaden his game.

20 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I don't think we will get him because the focus will be in Sancho, so we'll get Rafinha and let the striker question slide, but I think if we did decide we want to, he'd be open to it. Main sticking point would be price.

Dortmund might be more willing to negotiate if they miss out on CL football. Watzke's talk about Dortmund being financially super sound, even without CL football is already factoring in a sale of Sancho. If they sell Sancho for a good price, they are dong fine financially. If anybody offered tripple digits for Haaland, they will probably also have think about that hard.

In other news.

I am not sure what to make of this season.

If the first half had not been such write off, we'd be talking about being very much in the running for promotion. Now the realistic best case scenario means top five finish. Still not sure, whether I should be more annoyed over the first half, or just be happy that relegation is off the table, which looked like a real possibility back in December.

6 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Firmino completely blunting our attack costs us yet again, as we have lots of possession and missed shots, and then Villa go down the other end and score.

Er, the attack’s looked miles better with Firmino in there. It’s Jota and Salah who’ve missed their chances.

Firmino is offside now because of his forearm? That's a ridiculous call.

The EPL should do what Eredivisie does i.e. if the lines are touching then the benefit goes to the attacker. That cuts out all these armpit and shirt sleeve bullshit offside calls.

2 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Firmino is offside now because of his forearm? That's a ridiculous call.

The EPL should do what Eredivisie does i.e. if the lines are touching then the benefit goes to the attacker. That cuts out all these armpit and shirt sleeve bullshit offside calls.

It’s Jota’s head I think.

I’ve said it pretty much every time we see one of these but firstly there’s no way that’s not within the margin of error of the technology and secondly who really wants to see goals chalked off for that? It’s just shit but they aren’t going to change it.

8 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Er, the attack’s looked miles better with Firmino in there. It’s Jota and Salah who’ve missed their chances.

Right, because Firmino actively avoids shooting as much as possible. He's had a couple of nice touches, but other than that he still looks completely out of form. He completely mis-hit his shot for the 'offside' goal, but was close enough that it went in anyway.

Salah should have done better with his chances though, certainly the one on one.

7 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

That's old Pep. He happily worked with Lewandowski at Bayern, and with Aguero at City. Haaland is still young and can broaden his game.

Lewandowski is a true 9 and it took Pep and him some time to get used to each other, but he was always more comfortable with his back and with lateral movement and all that kind of stuff than Haaland is right now. Aguero had false-nine-ish tendencies before he ever arrived at City let alone before Pep did. Neither of them are anything like as pure in-behind-the-lines strikers as Haaland is. Of course he has a good chance of adapting but Kane is closer to the style right now.

Archived