Football: What goes up, must come down.

18 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

So it's looking like the semifinal lineup is going to be PSG, City, Chelsea and Real. That's depressing.

I wouldn't count out Bayern, just yet.

They are capable of winning at PSG by two goals. They could've walked away with a win, if they hadn't been so wasteful, particularly in the first half.

Otherwise, yeah.

Mason Mount is so good. Every single time I watch Chelsea he is their best player. 

14 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Otherwise, yeah.

I don’t think Liverpool beating Madrid 2-0 is a pipe dream but you just never know what Liverpool you’re going to get. And I mean Dortmund are very much in the tie against City 

13 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

I don’t think Liverpool beating Madrid 2-0 is a pipe dream but you just never know what Liverpool you’re going to get.

If there was a crowd in at Anfield I'd think we had a decent chance but as it is I suppose it's possible but Madrid look very strong favourites.

15 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

And I mean Dortmund are very much in the tie against City 

Hard to see them not shipping a lot of goals if City feel the need to turn it on.

10 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

We've had Liverpool fans in this thread saying we should have played Firmino to mark Kroos in the game, and at the same time saying we have a chance to go though... We're going to beat a team that we need to play 8 defenders against just to stop them, are we?

I mean Liverpool obviously have a chance. 95% we are going out but it’s not like this Madrid side is unbeatable or anything. 

20 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Hard to see them not shipping a lot of goals if City feel the need to turn it on.

Yeah maybe Pep will overthink it again like previous seasons. Would suck if 3/4 semi finalists are oil money clubs

16 hours ago, ljkeane said:

So it's looking like the semifinal lineup is going to be PSG, City, Chelsea and Real. That's depressing.

I would be very surprised if Porto somehow managed to knock Chelsea out. Other three ties are definitely not over just yet. Obviously, teams that have won the first match are in a better position before second matches but it's far from certain that they would advance. Bayern and Dortmund are only one goal behind and Liverpool two. All those teams have overcome worse odds than that.

Liverpool have a better chance against Real Madrid than Dortmund do against City.  I doubt Liverpool will be as poor as they were in the 1st leg and I expect them to give Real's second string defence a much bigger test. While Dortmund did show some backbone in the 1st leg, generally they've been pretty spineless all season and they will definitely concede. The game might be interesting if Dortmund score first but if City get the first goal then I expect it'll be a cakewalk.

Bayern are probably the side most capable of overturning their 1st leg deficit but it's going to be an uphill battle especially considering that Lewandowski is still unavailable (and per reports both Goretzka and Sule will miss the 2nd leg as well) while Verratti and Paredes return for PSG which significantly bolsters their midfield. Bayern will have to be far more clinical in front of goal.

5 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

I don’t think Liverpool beating Madrid 2-0 is a pipe dream but you just never know what Liverpool you’re going to get. And I mean Dortmund are very much in the tie against City 

If fans were allowed back into Anfield, I'd give you a chance. But some stadiums are just not as frightening to play in without the fans. Dortmund is another place that comes to mind.

Long story short, I don't think you will come back from this. And Bayern's situation is somewhat better. They need to win by two goals, plain and simple. You need to win by two goals at least (if you don't concede more than one goal).

Otherwise would @Consigliere said. Dortmund have been so utterly spineless all year. I think I have been beating that drum before, too.

Decent enough performance from United. We got the job done and restricted Granada to speculative efforts that never threatened De Gea. The ref was utter trash though and tried very hard to send off one of our players by dishing out yellow cards to our players for fuck all while Granada players were getting away with worse shit especially Yangel Herrera. 

I was flipping over to the Ajax/Roma game and from what I saw, Ajax screwed the pooch there. Easily the better side, created by far the better chances and still lost. Tadic trying to be too clever with his penalty to make it 2-0 and missing proved to be very costly. 

Eta. Maguire, McTominay and Shaw all suspended for the 2nd leg. Hopefully Bailly will be fit enough to play 90 minutes until he's injured again. 

4 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Stories coming out today that Kane will ask to leave Spurs if they don’t qualify for CL. The thought of Kane at City for the rest of Peps tenure will keep me up at night. . 

I read about it on Athletic but there aren’t any hard sources, so who knows how solid that info is. But seems kinda obvious Kane would feel frustrated by current events at Spurs, we all know he wants to be seen as a world class player and win stuff.

The question is who would actually buy him. The price tag is eye watering so it really only leaves Oil money clubs like City or PSG .. maybe Utd I guess. He does seem like quite a good replacement for Aguero. But would Levy really sell to City ?

Nobody is signing Kane this year. Levy will demand a transfer fee that nobody will be willing to pay this year given the huge losses that clubs have suffered and if a club is prepared to pay such a fee then it makes much more sense to shell out that kind of money for a younger Haaland who is on the verge of being world class. 2022 might be a possibility of Kane leaving if he still wants to. Besides, Spurs are in a good position to finish in the top 4 - they have a pretty favourable run in.

3 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

I don’t think City will be in for Haaland with Pep and Raiola not getting along. Kane makes a lot of sense if he is available. 

Hmm, I don't know. There's basically no resale value for Kane at his age and you're probably going to start getting declining returns towards the end of any contract he signs with a new club. Haaland would be more expensive but he's probably going to be better across the course of any contract he signs and you could recoup a lot of the money by selling him on if you're that way inclined. If you're going to spend a lot of money on a striker I don't really see the sense in it being Kane instead of Haaland.

Haaland is the most likely pick, yeah, but there are arguments for Kane over him. He's proven in the Prem, for starters, and he's probably a more immediate fit for Pep's style- while Haaland clearly can fit in a fairly intense, high-press team he's clearly very much a traditional on-the-shoulder 9 wherea's Kane's always been more half-and-half even before the assists started flowing.

Expensive high-profile English player with low resale value available, come on, it writes itself. Kane to Man U it is.

Real do have a long standing interest as well and don't care so much for resale value.

Archived