Jamie’s Hand

Nostrum:

c. 1600, "a medicine made of secret ingredients by secret methods," but commonly "quack medicine," from Latin nostrum remedium "our remedy" (or some similar phrase), presumably indicating "prepared by the person offering it," from Latin nostrum, neuter of noster "our," from nos "we," from PIE *nes- (2); see us. In extended use, "a pet scheme for accomplishing something" (1749).

Nostri:

one of the external openings of the nose, a nasal orifice," late 14c., nostrille, from Old English nosþyrl, nosðirl, literally "the hole of the nose," from nosu "nose" (from PIE root *nas- "nose") + þyrel "hole" (from PIE root *tere- (2) "cross over, pass through, overcome"). For metathesis of -r- and vowel, see wright. After the second element became obsolete as an independent, its form was corrupted in the compound.

*Tere
terə-, Proto-Indo-European root meaning "to rub, turn," with derivatives referring to twisting, also to boring, drilling, piercing; and to the rubbing of cereal grain to remove the husks, and thus to threshing.

Nos: Numbers

Tirl:

to make a rattlingsound (as with a door latch)

Two different passages of breath open to the mind. 

There are several explanations for Jaime's hand, not necessarily a single correct statement.

Above all, GRRM's desire for divine justice, his irony, was in effect. Martin thinks the characters make a choice and naturally must face the consequences of their choice, good or bad. This is a correct thought, we all have to face the consequences of our choices. We cannot escape this forever. So anyone who chooses good or bad in this story will have to bear the consequences.

For example; Tywin's hatred of Tyrion and the Tysha affair… At the end of the day, Tywin had to face the consequences of his poor choices and died at the hand of his own son.

Jaime's forbidden relationship with Cersei and what he did to Bran ... Jaime says actually; This hand was the hand that killed his own king, this hand was the hand that touched Cersei, and this hand was the hand that pushed Bran to kill him. This hand was the hand of sin and now that hand has been cut off. I think GRRM cut the hands for sins-crimes in this story; Don't forget Davos' fingers, they too were cut for his crimes.

So that was the 1st reason; the punishment of his crimes. It was this sword hand that made Jaime Jaime. Running and climbing were everything to Bran, his legs were his best. Bran wanted to be a knight, and then a knight took everything from Bran; dreams and legs. Fighting and knight were the best things Jaime had, and now he's lost the best he ever had; his sword. Is a knight who cannot use a sword still a knight?

2nd reason ... I think it was to destroy Jaime's arrogance. Jaime was very arrogant, a bit of a shield he had set up against his own troubles and remorse, in fact, he was passive-aggressive. After losing his hand, Jaime freed himself from his arrogance to face his own insides, as arrogance prevents man from confronting the truth, especially his own. Thus, Jaime's positive transformation started.

8 hours ago, YeniAy_Ottoman said:

GRRM cut the hands for sins-crimes in this story; Don't forget Davos' fingers, they too were cut for his crimes

8 hours ago, YeniAy_Ottoman said:

Is a knight who cannot use a sword still a knight?

Thank you. Very well put and things I haven’t considered.

Vargo Hoat cut off Jaime's hand because: A. he wanted that threat neutralized. B. He wanted a token to send to Lord Tywin as a message and C. Because he wanted Lannister gold, and then the hand of Alys Karstark to be far from the vengeance and curse of Lord Tywin Lannister.

Vargo Hoat of Qohor was merely being pious.

One truth remains undisputed, however: The dark god of Qohor, the deity known as the Black Goat, demands daily blood sacrifice. - The World of Ice and Fire - The Free Cities: Qohor

Quite the religion, perhaps praised in secret considering the grisly requirements?

Beneath the standard of a black goat with bloody horns...at their head was a man stick-thin and very tall, with a drawn emaciated face made even longer by the ropy black beard that grew from his pointed chin nearly to his waist. The helm that hung from his saddle horn was black steel, fashioned in the shape of a goat's head. - A Clash of Kings - Arya VII

Fashioned helm and standard displaying the Back Goat. No hidden association here, Vargo is proud of his religion.

I'll just save you for the Qohorik, yes I will, I'll save you for the Crippler. Vargo Hoat his name is, and when he gets back he'll cut off your feet - A Clash of Kings - Arya VIII

Man who openly associates himself with a god requiring blood sacrifices habitually cuts the limbs of his prisoners. It can be that simple.

2 hours ago, Bobity. said:

Man who openly associates himself with a god requiring blood sacrifices habitually cuts the limbs of his prisoners.

Forgot to consider the Qohorik limb sacrifice. Is a foot a limb? No feet and one can’t move.

Blood sacrifice makes me think of vampires. With the goat being bitten and his limbs fed to prisoners like a sacrament. Maybe the goat angered his god somehow? His pronunciation of the word Castilian is interesting.

Shaggy dog and Unicorns. I’m a 40 year old man excited about unicorns. Damz! You GRRM!

Archived