NBA 2021 - Randle Hearts

Relic

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Zion had another monster game, going for 38/9 on just 22 shots. That's more in line with his insane efficiency this season. Crazy to think he's doing this despite not even playing 82 games yet. 

:rolleyes:

I took a look.

Season average: 61%

Previous game: 53% Difference 8%

This game: 72% Difference 11%

"More in line" :rofl:

Speaking of crazy to think about,

Pistons fans are gonna be scratching their heads like crazy if we see a Nets vs Lakers finals.

The bulk of Van Gundy's old lineup rotation has landed on these 2 teams.

Off the top of my head you have Drummond, Caldwell-Pope and Reggie Bulluck  now on the Lakes and the Nets have a healthier Griffin, Bruce Brown as well as Dinwiddle although he's IR I believe?

That's the bulk of Stans old Pistons team potentially making the finals this year.

Even if the Clippers go instead of the Lakers They will have the rest of the VanGundys squad with Morris, Jackson and Kennard.

Remarkable how the Detroit diaspora has worked out for these guys as Motown goes through its rebuild.

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Remarkable how the Detroit diaspora has worked out for these guys as Motown goes through its rebuild.

Yeah, remarkable how 7 top 15 players in LeBron, Ad, Kawhi, PG, Durant, Harden, and Kyrie are on 3 teams. 

1 hour ago, Relic said:

Yeah, remarkable how 7 top 15 players in LeBron, Ad, Kawhi, PG, Durant, Harden, and Kyrie are on 3 teams. 

Remarkable but a bit sad from a competition standpoint. I would be more excited about the playoffs if there were 9 or 10 really strong teams and that each of those stars were spread onto 7 teams or something more balanced. But I've fealt that way for years about the NBA.

43 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Remarkable but a bit sad from a competition standpoint. I would be more excited about the playoffs if there were 9 or 10 really strong teams and that each of those stars were spread onto 7 teams or something more balanced. But I've fealt that way for years about the NBA.

Are 1/3 of the teams in the NFL, NHL or MLB good? Or any of the English, Spanish, German, Italian and French football leagues? Seems like an impossible standard here.

27 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

Are 1/3 of the teams in the NFL, NHL or MLB good? Or any of the English, Spanish, German, Italian and French football leagues? Seems like an impossible standard here.

Baseball often does a good job with at least 7 teams reaching 90 wins and having strong pitching, perhaps hoping for more than that is a fools folly.

But when we get down to only 3 or 4 super dominant teams the playoffs just aren't as exciting for me. It was quite bad when the Warriors were winning 70 games. I will be pleasantly surprised if the Nba produces a winner this year that's not Brooklyn or L.A. but not holding my breath, and yet the playoffs haven't even started.

3 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Baseball often does a good job with at least 7 teams reaching 90 wins and having strong pitching, perhaps hoping for more than that is a fools folly.

But when we get down to only 3 or 4 super dominant teams the playoffs just aren't as exciting for me. It was quite bad when the Warriors were winning 70 games. I will be pleasantly surprised if the Nba produces a winner this year that's not Brooklyn or L.A. but not holding my breath, and yet the playoffs haven't even started.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but google tells me that MLB is 162 games. That's a 55% winning percentage. The NBA currently has 10 teams with that, and last season, it was 13 teams. I'm not saying that you're wrong that basketball isn't very competitive at the top, but you're going to have to come up with a better example that other leagues do it better.

As far as the Warriors go, putting the Zaza assassination of Kawhi aside (I'm never letting that go), they almost went down to the Rockets if not for a Chris Paul knee injury. And the record setting Warriors almost fell to the Thunder (3-1 comeback) before they fell to the Cavs (also a 3-1 comeback). A reminder that the record setting Warriors big free agent was Iguodala before the previous season and not KD after they lost. The Warriors drafted Curry, Klay, Green and Barnes. I get it if you're faulting the Nets and Lakers now or the Heat or Celtics then who traded for or signed stars in free agency, but you're faulting the Warriors who drafted and developed their way to 70 wins? Are you serious?

For this season, hopefully the Sixers or Bucks manage to prevent the Nets from advancing. On the other side, one LA team is injured and the other has yet to prove its not a collection of talented individuals with a high ceiling but also a rather low floor. Hoping for the Jazz and Nuggets personally.

Very good points Proudfeet, were I trying to debate it you'd be the easy winner. 

Nevertheless for a while now I've found the NBA post season just not on par with the level of Baseball and Football or College Basketball suspense and intrigue over who will be that years champion. 

Baseball has a built in advantage with so many games and many years the great pennant races before post season even begins. It's just more mysterious seeming whose gonna prevail and of course March Madness is another brilliant suspense builder that benefits the NCAAB.

The NBA just feels much more akin to NCAAF where we helplessly get 2 or 3 juggernauts that roll through the competition.

Fwiw Alabama has made watching college football playoffs even less appealing than the NBA's product.

I hope your right about the Bucks or Sixers knocking out the Nets or the Jazz or Nuggets stopping one of the LA teams. Imo the product will be much better for it if we can get such a post season. I know it would improve my faith in it.

I fear it will be a Nets v Lakers contest that seemed baked in before the season was even played.

Ah, if you're looking for upsets, there is an established explanation. 

Basketball is a game of many scoring opportunities so the stronger teams tend to come out on top on average. If you add a seven game series into the equation, its very hard to score big upsets. NCAA is a single game elimination so it happens more frequently, but I don't think the top seeds fall to the bottom seeds that often even then. Also, you get to play your best players most of the time so you get a bigger advantage with each individual player.

As far as baseball goes, its a game of limited scoring opportunities where you need to get a homerun to guarantee a score and its a team effort to score otherwise. This also makes defensive mistakes more costly as you can't just go and score to tie it back up. And then, you can't play your best players all the time but because of how difficult it is to score, a good/bad run of form can make an outsized impact. There are more chances of upsets or Cinderella runs. But strong teams still make it to the top, so it's still possible to stack things in your favour. I think the Dodgers are on multiple final runs? Or you can just make loud noises in the tunnel. I heard its a good way to win.

I don't know anything about NCAA football, but if I have to hazard a guess, it might be a positive feedback loop where Alabama is always winning, so the best players go to Alabama, and Alabama always wins, and the cycle goes. I think the same could be said for Kentucky in basketball to a point? I'm sure Rhom would be glad of the opportunity to espouse the greatness of his team.

I think that the Nets have to be the heavy favourite with all the midseason acquisitions. Not so much at the start of the season or just after they traded for Harden, but we'll see. Maybe their buyouts justify their buyouts and fall flat. Maybe Harden is a choker and it isn't just fatigue that makes him shoot 20% when it counts. Maybe Embiid flops his way to victory. If I were to bet on it, I'd go for the Nets, but hopefully it doesn't happen. At least Golden State had likeable players.

For the West, I don't know. Lakers are injured. They are both due back for a couple of weeks before the regular season ends but we just don't know whether they will be closer to 80% or 100%. I've already expressed my lack of confidence in the Clippers. The Jazz and Nuggets look strong as usual. Suns have a strong regular season record that they have to backup. Blazers and Mavs might be able to score themselves an upset or two. Its looking competitive even if it turns out to be Lakers vs Clippers in the end.

On 4/11/2021 at 10:43 PM, Proudfeet said:

:rolleyes:

I took a look.

Season average: 61%

Previous game: 53% Difference 8%

This game: 72% Difference 11%

"More in line" :rofl:

Well two things. First, they completely changed their offense a month and a half into the season. I'm not sure exactly how that affected his percentages, but it felt pretty common place afterwards to see his box scores being something like he took 15 shots and scored over 25 points. And now he's become the primary ball handler in a lot of sets so it seems like a dip was bound to happen in the short term. Second, the video I mentioned, his numbers are crazy when you don't fault him for getting easy put backs. His second jump really is incredible. 

1 hour ago, Proudfeet said:

I don't know anything about NCAA football, but if I have to hazard a guess, it might be a positive feedback loop where Alabama is always winning, so the best players go to Alabama, and Alabama always wins, and the cycle goes. I think the same could be said for Kentucky in basketball to a point? I'm sure Rhom would be glad of the opportunity to espouse the greatness of his team.

Basically yes. College basketball is in a bit of a flux period, but NCAAF is as predictable as it gets. It's a safe bet that at least two of the three between Alabama, Clemson and Ohio St. will make the CFP, and you can pencil in Oklahoma if no other obvious contender arises. Sometimes LSU, FSU, USC, ND, Oregon, Texas, Florida and Georgia can break through with a random school here and there, but most years at this point we know who is going to be there at the end.  

I came here to say Curry is having one hell of a night, but shit, Murray just looks like he tore something in his knee the way he reacted to jumping and falling. Hopefully it looked worse than it is, otherwise the Nuggets are done as contenders for this season.

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Well two things. First, they completely changed their offense a month and a half into the season. I'm not sure exactly how that affected his percentages, but it felt pretty common place afterwards to see his box scores being something like he took 15 shots and scored over 25 points. And now he's become the primary ball handler in a lot of sets so it seems like a dip was bound to happen in the short term. Second, the video I mentioned, his numbers are crazy when you don't fault him for getting easy put backs. His second jump really is incredible. 

Dude, even if you flipped the differences it doesn't change the fact that both are outliers and neither are "in line". You're only saving the "more". For reference, he was shooting 58% last season. He'd have to be shooting below 50% for the first month and a half to shoot 70% the rest of the season. Not to mention that the first month and a half will end up being a third of the season and is half or slightly less than half the games played so far. Just give it up.

And I don't know what you're talking about. Why would getting put backs fault him. Surely its a free boost to his numbers? Its a 1/1 field goal. If he's putting back his own shots, well, he missed the first so it should still count against his accuracy even if it saves the possession. In which case, the word you're looking for is effective and not efficient. 

Confirmed that Murray tore his ACL, and is out for the season.  That sucks, hopefully he'll fully recover and the Nuggets can be contenders again next year.  Hard to see the Nuggets doing much of anything in the playoffs without him. 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Confirmed that Murray tore his ACL, and is out for the season.  That sucks, hopefully he'll fully recover and the Nuggets can be contenders again next year.  Hard to see the Nuggets doing much of anything in the playoffs without him. 

Ouuuch

Figured it was unavoidable. It was a non-contact injury and he went straight down in immense pain. Thankfully ACL recoveries have come a long way and I don't see Murray as a player who has to overly rely on elite athleticism. Hopefully they don't rush him back.

In before Aldridge "his heart wasn't in it anymore" jokes.

But seriously, great career. Glad they caught any potential problem before it cost him more than just the career. 

Archived