U.S. Politiks: The Manchin-ian Candidate

Jace, Extat

Joe Biden just launched the second war on poverty

Fifty-seven years ago, a Democratic president who had a reputation as a moderate — and who had been a senator and vice president before reaching the highest office in the land — announced his administration would be waging “unconditional war on poverty in America.”

The legislation that grew out of President Lyndon B. Johnson’s declaration had no marquee program. Instead, the war on poverty was a collection of new initiatives that have stood the test of time: Medicare; Medicaid; food stamps (now known as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program); aid for women, infants, and children (WIC); school breakfasts; Pell Grants; Head Start; and Section 8 housing vouchers, to name a few. It was a landmark passel of legislation that reshaped American life in the decades that followed.

With Congress’s passage of the $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan, another Democratic president with a reputation as a moderate (and who came through the Senate and the vice presidency) is putting his stamp on American policy. The Covid-19 relief bill, which passed the US House on Wednesday afternoon and is set to be signed into law by President Joe Biden on Friday, is the most far-reaching anti-poverty legislation in more than 50 years.

11 minutes ago, Fez said:

Republicans with a laser-like focus on the issues of the day affecting ordinary Americans...

This is one of the worst self-owns ever on the back of them not voting for relief for starving and struggling Americans afraid they might be kicked out of their homes.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

This is one of the worst self-owns ever on the back of them not voting for relief for starving and struggling Americans afraid they might be kicked out of their homes.

You spelled 

"Championment of the worker's class." Incorrectly.

Meanwhile, I thought we were restricting the president's authority to unilaterally start illegal wars? 

I'm very over such things.

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why? Half of this money will go to the gop elections. 

2 minutes ago, Karlbear said:

Sure, but it ain't a self own. Giving money to the rich has never been a self own to the gop.

I agree they're reintroducing the bill just to put it in fundraising solicitations and this won't hurt them.  Perhaps the timing was strategic so less people notice.

36 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not really. Not gonna get passed, and this sorta shit has never stopped the GOP from winning an election. And besides, they are fighting for you. What about the 20m US$ your kids will inherit from you one day. Remember you are a nation of haves, and soon to haves. You are so unamerican.

Of course it's not getting passed, which makes it pointless. The net increase in donations from this will probably be minimal, and let us not forget that Trump is actively grifting his own party against their interests. There's no upside for them here. Meanwhile tomorrow Biden will give a national address highlighting all the good shit in the relief bill and if he wants to he can point out Republicans fought him tooth and nail, but hey look, they want to give the uber rich another tax break. Hence the own goal.

“The economists told us we literally saved America from a depression,” Biden told the House Democratic Caucus last week. “But we didn’t adequately explain what we had done. Barack was so modest; he didn’t want to take, as he said, a ‘victory lap’. I kept saying, ‘Tell people what we did.’ He said, ‘We don’t have time. I’m not going to take a victory lap.’ And we paid a price for it, ironically, for that humility.”

The 46th US president is often lauded for his humility but don’t expect him to repeat Obama’s mistake. Once his $1.9tn coronavirus relief bill is signed, he is set to take an extended victory lap by travelling the country to promote it.

Good. Dare I say it, also borrow a page from the last President, who was all about self-promotion, nauseatingly so.

Biden is not going to do what is best for the markets, he will do what is best for the people!

And speaking of self-serving Mr. Trump, I watched part of a press conference today with Biden and the CEOs of Merck and J&J where Biden announced the purchase of yet another 100 M doses of the J&J vaccine, even though enough has been purchased to vaccinate everyone in the US. They groveled so hard you’d have thought Trump was still the prez!

23 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Biden is not going to do what is best for the markets, he will do what is best for the people!

And speaking of self-serving Mr. Trump, I watched part of a press conference today with Biden and the CEOs of Merck and J&J where Biden announced the purchase of yet another 100 M doses of the J&J vaccine, even though enough has been purchased to vaccinate everyone in the US. They groveled so hard you’d have thought Trump was still the prez!

You can't have it both ways Birdie. We have to vaccinate everyone here and we're also expected to help those abroad. Only way to achieve that is with a massive surplus. 

2 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Great thread title, @Jace, Basilissa

Seconded. 

32 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

Hey, the virtuous prosperity cycle means that I will spend my money on the next best thing to hookers and blow....Delta flights, spa vacations at the St Regis, and restaurant meals. And a personal trainer to burn off the calories from the restaurant meals.

What the hell? Why are going to so brazenly ignore the economic realities of hookers and drug dealers?

I'm not mad, just disappointed. 

Archived