U.S. Politiks: The Manchin-ian Candidate

Jace, Extat

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I hate the idea of establishing a mandated retirement age much as I oppose the concept of term limits, but at 87 years old, fucking retire. Like a decade ago.

Perhaps a rule should be instituted that no senator can run for re-election past 80? That would still allow sitting senators to be as old as 85 before having to retire (in extreme cases). That sounds perfectly reasonable to me, and it doesn't impose a hard limit where someone would have to retire in the middle of their term. 

If there can be a minimum age requirement to be president, why can't there be a (somewhat flexible) maximum age for senators (or MCs in general)?

11 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

So Biden is trying to go with a harder line on Russia. https://news.yahoo.com/biden-administration-launch-cyber-attacks-173336952.html

After years of bullying on the seas, cyber criminality and electioneering misinformation attacks from Putin.

All I can say is ITS ABOUT DAMN TIME someone stood up to this scumbag.

Yay Cold War 2.0!

16 minutes ago, Ser Reptitious said:

If there can be a minimum age requirement to be president, why can't there be a (somewhat flexible) maximum age for senators (or MCs in general)?

...Or presidents?  Also, there's a minimum age for senators and representatives too.

One thing to emphasize though, based on the (failed) term limit effort starting ~30 years ago, is that any max age measure would probably require a constitutional amendment.  Which of course would mean it's not happening.

1 hour ago, Ser Reptitious said:

Perhaps a rule should be instituted that no senator can run for re-election past 80? That would still allow sitting senators to be as old as 85 before having to retire (in extreme cases). That sounds perfectly reasonable to me, and it doesn't impose a hard limit where someone would have to retire in the middle of their term. 

As was said,

49 minutes ago, DMC said:

is that any max age measure would probably require a constitutional amendment.  Which of course would mean it's not happening.

Which is why it's not worth wasting time on. Oh the joys of living in a society with screwed up laws and many things we perceive as laws, but are really just norms and traditions of sort. In a better world, @Ser Reptitious, people would know they should just retire young when they've enjoyed so much. But instead we give power to an 87 year old that can at times barely speak coherently. 

America, Fuck Yeah!

7 minutes ago, Ser Reptitious said:

Well yeah, I didn't think it had much (or any) real chance of happening. I was just musing out loud what would seem like a sensible solution to me. :)

Isn't that a major problem with today's politics though? Musing about obvious solutions that will otherwise never happen. Except when those musings are incredibly dangerous. 

32 minutes ago, Ser Reptitious said:

Also possible, but at least presidents are already term-limited, so when voters elect him (and hopefully her, at some point) they already know to what maximum age that person will serve.

Well, not technically.  A president could serve one term and still have a term to spare for later - or even much later - in life.  Jimmy Carter could still run for president.  A more realistic example, obviously, is Trump.  When voters elected him in 2016 did they know he may well be president in 2028?

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Well, not technically.  A president could serve one term and still have a term to spare for later - or even much later - in life.  Jimmy Carter could still run for president.  A more realistic example, obviously, is Trump.  When voters elected him in 2016 did they know he may well be president in 2028?

Sure, but then the incumbency advantage, making re-election signifantly easier, is gone. 

And unlike senators such as Feinstein, Trump or Carter wouldn't be president that entire time. They get a grand total of eight years max, either consecutively or (implausably) non-consecutively, and that's it. 

One interesting aspect of the 22nd I don't think many are aware of is it does not apply to vice presidents - they have no term limits.  So, theoretically, a Putin figure could camp out as Vice President and install puppets as President like he did with Medvedev.

Anyway, thought I'd share this is it was a really fun read for a dork like me.  If you're interested in the history and the filibuster, highly recommended - When LBJ and Hubert Humphrey Teamed Up to Break a Talking Filibuster.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Isn't that a major problem with today's politics though? Musing about obvious solutions that will otherwise never happen. Except when those musings are incredibly dangerous. 

Why is musing or talking about things that are obvious solutions a problem? 

edit:

And why are incredibly dangerous musings the exception?

18 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Why is musing or talking about things that are obvious solutions a problem? 

edit:

And why are incredibly dangerous musings the exception?

If obvious solutions have no support, and raising support for said issues only makes them less likely to pass, are they still so obvious?

7 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Yay Cold War 2.0!

We are woefully and pitifully whining about being victims of intellectual theft, hacking, espionage and so forth against adversaries who could give 2 fucks about "the rules".

Left unencountered for much longer, federal reserves, utilities, financial networks and so forth will only become more vulnerable.

We should recognize such threats and not respond like victims every time we are attacked.  If their is no penalty Russia and China will only increase cyber attacks. Whining about "unfair" ain't gonna get it done.

America shouldn't be afraid of a second Cold War. We would win. It would also be like hitting the 'roids after an injury. Really bulk the country up in the short term.

Long term of course is still a dystopian nightmare of unthinkable woe, but there aren't any solutions for that right now anyway. Hair loss and back pimples wouldn't be a bad trade to get Republicans focused on an external enemy.

9 minutes ago, Comrade Jace, Leftist said:

America shouldn't be afraid of a second Cold War. We would win. It would also be like hitting the 'roids after an injury. Really bulk the country up in the short term.

Long term of course is still a dystopian nightmare of unthinkable woe, but there aren't any solutions for that right now anyway. Hair loss and back pimples wouldn't be a bad trade to get Republicans focused on an external enemy.

Who have you been speaking with?

Who talked?!

29 minutes ago, Comrade Jace, Leftist said:

Someone always talks.

You were behind Illinois throwing the game then, hence destroying my bracket. If I were more crestfallen I'd accuse you and @Fragile Bird of teaming up to do such evil deeds.

Archived