U.S. Politiks: The Manchin-ian Candidate

Jace, Extat

17 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Did y'all know that Sherwin himself was present at the rally on jan 6? I assume privately, so how was he even allowed to lead the investigation?

I don't really see him being present as nefarious.  From the interview:

Michael Sherwin was an eyewitness to that alleged plan. As acting U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia-- the top prosecutor-- he dressed that morning in running clothes and joined D.C. Police at the president's rally.

Michael Sherwin: And I wanted to see the crowd, gauge the temperature of the crowd, it was like a carnival environment. People were selling shirts, popcorn, cotton candy, I saw hot dogs. As the morning progressed, I noticed though there were some people that weren't the typical, like, carnival-type people. I noticed there were some people in tactical gear. They were tacked up with Kevlar vests. They had the military helmets on. Those individuals, I noticed, left the speeches early. 

They headed to the Capitol and Sherwin walked with them.

Michael Sherwin: You could see it was getting more riled up. And more people with bullhorns chanting and yelling. And it became more aggressive. Where it was initially pro-Trump, it digressed to anti-government, anti-Congress, anti-institutional. And then I eventually saw people climbing the scaffolding.  The scaffolding was being set up for the inauguration. When I saw people climbing up the scaffolding, hanging from it, hanging flags, I was like, "This is going bad fast."

5 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I get it that it's easy to be distracted by all the kevlar, and the smell of hotdogs and cotton candy, but come tf on, those are red flags

I just don't get why Sherwin wasn't more worried about the "carnival-type people."

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

So is this the evolution in which @Karlbear now becomes Karnybear?

No, carnies are tricksters in Loki's image, enjoy deception and craftiness.  Karl is a straight shooter, cynical and earnest at the same time.  He wouldnt operate unsafe carnival rides like that hadn't been inspected or run tax free scam gaming that capitalizes on animal cruelty like the goldfish toss.  

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

Ok, fair enough.  Again, it seems like you're making a jump from people talking about things on a message board (the post from Ser Repetitous)  to actual elected representatives doing the same thing, and even in that case, the example you gave of AOC wasting her time (or political capital?) on talking about M4a seems unfounded.

edit:again, if that's your argument, show that these musings have hurt vulnerable members of the party. 

Yeah, pretty much. I cut my teeth, as a current State Rep, then legislative assistant, would say back then as an intern in a State Senator's office. Why would I view it any other way? Like I've said to you before, I spent like a month once doing research to help craft a pretty small piece of legislation. It died quickly in its first sub-committee hearing. Given that before I fell in love with politics I was trying to decide between social or I-O psych as a career path, you can figure in part given the latter that I really am not interested in wasting my time on things that won't bear any fruit in all likelihood. I just don't think, in most cases at least, it's the best strategy to follow, though we all have our personal hills to die on.

10 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

No, carnies are tricksters in Loki's image, enjoy deception and craftiness.  Karl is a straight shooter, cynical and earnest at the same time.  He wouldnt operate unsafe carnival rides like that hadn't been inspected or run tax free scam gaming that capitalizes on animal cruelty like the goldfish toss.  

You trust a Bears fan a lot more than I, especially one that has renounced the NFL but still watches and comments on what we say in its thread!

Enjoy Fitzmagic, motherfucker. It's like you can have a dirty affair with an older less talented, but smarter version of The Sex Cannon!!!!!!!!!!

(If you don't read the NFL thread, just ignore this)

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, pretty much. I cut my teeth, as a current State Rep, then legislative assistant, would say back then as an intern in a State Senator's office. Why would I view it any other way? Like I've said to you before, I spent like a month once doing research to help craft a pretty small piece of legislation. It died quickly in its first sub-committee hearing. Given that before I fell in love with politics I was trying to decide between social or I-O psych as a career path, you can figure in part given the latter that I really am not interested in wasting my time on things that won't bear any fruit in all likelihood. I just don't think, in most cases at least, it's the best strategy to follow, though we all have our personal hills to die on.

Hey, I can appreciate the experience there.  But I'm not seeing the evidence- you're going after AOC for hyping M4a, when I'm not seeing any evidence she hurt its chances or public perception.  As a friend I'd maybe suggest re-examining the concept of "fell in love with politics".  That sounds legit abusive.  

14 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

The most American thing I heard today from someone in Boulder, Colorado: “I went out to get a bag of chips and I almost lost my life”.

Hopefully they got some good eatables afterwards.

15 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Hey, I can appreciate the experience there.  But I'm not seeing the evidence- you're going after AOC for hyping M4a, when I'm not seeing any evidence she hurt its chances or public perception.  As a friend I'd maybe suggest re-examining the concept of "fell in love with politics".  That sounds legit abusive.  

Well I'm not sure what to do with the last bit, but the overall point is simple. M4A was a helpful talking point in safely blue districts, but a lot of candidates in more contested districts brought up how it wasn't always helpful, sometime detrimental. While you can't blame a single issue on most specific electoral loses, it is telling that Dems underperformed despite running in a year in which their party's leader got the most votes of any candidate ever. That can't be ignored. And like I said before, the reason why I use AOC as an example is because she was more or less shaming fellow Democrats for not supporting her cause, yet when it was clear, like it always was in my opinion, that it was never going to pass, she said Biden's plan is what's going to have to be the policy goal and kind of ran away from it.

I understand wanting to fight for something more ambitious. And sometimes it's the right thing to do, but read the room and don't create unnecessary intraparty fights over things that aren't going anywhere to begin with. There are better ways to advance policies than that without creating unneeded discord.

Anyone read Atlantic?  

There's a dude John Cohen who was HuffPo but guess they got gutted or some stuff, and today at Atlantic he says O'Care really looking better.

One point:  as law has survived more and more red-ass states have caved and taken that sweet Medicaid cash

Another point:  subsidies got upped with Biden $1.9 T and mad people are looking at exchanges cause internet and pandemic and sign-ups there kind of rockin'

Does Blanche DuBois or Byron Dorgan or any of them read Atlantic and say it was all worth it cause of this?  I am genuinely curious about that.  

I say it was all worth it big time.  I know there's all kinds of ways to talk shit about US health care (and I talk shit a lot), but the more Medicaid expanse and the more / better subsidies the better of a solution O'Care was...

even of Medicare 4A would be better, prolly  

Most people in media are miserable, horrible, hateful people, and I say that as a center-leftist person.  

https://freddiedeboer.substack.com/p/its-all-just-displacement

Money shot:

I

n the span of a decade or so, essentially all professional media not explicitly branded as conservative has been taken over by a school of politics that emerged from humanities departments at elite universities and began colonizing the college educated through social media. Those politics are obscure, they are confusing, they are socially and culturally extreme, they are expressed in a bizarre vocabulary, they are deeply alienating to many, and they are very unpopular by any definition. The vast majority of the country is not woke, including the vast majority of women and people of color. How could it possibly be healthy for the entire media industry to be captured by any single niche political movement, let alone one that nobody likes? Why does no one in media seem willing to have an honest, uncomfortable conversation about the near-total takeover of their industry by a fringe ideology?

On me doing carnie rides, one of my favorite game features ever was in a Rollercoaster tycoon game where you were penalized if anyone died in your park. And you and a neighboring park are competing. So naturally the best strategy is to create an absurdly dangerous roller coaster that flings its passengers at high speeds off of the ride...and into the other park. Their reviews tank because of all the people who die, you get rich. 

Not to give the oxygen of publicity, but I did find it notable that Sidney Powell is defending herself in the Dominion lawsuit by playing with the characteristically Trumpian 'look, clearly I was talking crap. Or was I? No, I didn't mean it seriously. Or did I? Depends who's asking' defence.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/22/politics/sidney-powell-dominion-lawsuit-election-fraud/index.html

Right-wing lawyer Sidney Powell is claiming in a new court filing that reasonable people wouldn't have believed as fact her assertions of fraud after the 2020 presidential election.

In a new court filing, Powell's attorneys write that she was sharing her "opinion" and that the public could reach "their own conclusions" about whether votes were changed by election machines.

What do words mean anyway? Does anyone really know?

3 hours ago, mormont said:

Not to give the oxygen of publicity, but I did find it notable that Sidney Powell is defending herself in the Dominion lawsuit by playing with the characteristically Trumpian 'look, clearly I was talking crap. Or was I? No, I didn't mean it seriously. Or did I? Depends who's asking' defence.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/03/22/politics/sidney-powell-dominion-lawsuit-election-fraud/index.html

I heard about that defense yesterday and meant to post about it.

It sounds like the Tucker Carlson defense, “you can’t sue me for libel because everybody knows I’m just an entertainer, not a journalist, and therefore nobody should take me seriously, so what I said wasn’t libel”.

The shocking thing about that defense is not that it was used but that it was successful. If she defends herself using that argument the courts will be defending a “life is just entertainment” state of reality in the US on a grand scale. A Trump “reality” show made...for lack of a better word...real.

I’ll note here that Fox tried to get a slot on Canadian television as a 24-hour a day news show and was rejected by Canadian regulators because they weren’t in fact a news station.

7 hours ago, mormont said:

“I wasn’t serious. Unless you agree with me and praise me.”

Archived