U.S. Politiks: The Manchin-ian Candidate

Jace, Extat

52 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Isn't Florida like America's basement. You raise alligators and/or snakes, while cooking up meth in the same space.

I also prefer to refer to Florida as America's trashcan.  There's nicer ways to put it, but the crazy amount of antique stores due to all the crap that eventually ends up down there is a common observation.  As for meth, that's not really Florida's speciality.  Doing bath salts and eating peoples faces?  That's where it's at.

33 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

I was going to ask: If Cuomo resigns, does that mean no investigation(s)? Because that sucks. Plus, you just know he'll be back. He's old, but still. "Oh, those allegations way back? Wasn't prosecuted, nothing to see here."

Cuomo is finished in New York Democratic politics.  Even before all this he was going to most likely face a tough primary challenge (and even perhaps Republican challenge) in 2022.  There's no way he's winning a statewide office after this.  A useful comparison is Eliot Spitzer.  Five years after he was forced to resign he couldn't even win the primary for NYC Comptroller.  In Trump's GOP, disgraced politicians can come back.  But that doesn't mean that's the case in the NY Democratic party.

As for investigations ended, well, I'd assume so in terms of the sexual misconduct accusations.  That seems to the SOP with these things.  Especially considering, as far as I know, none of the victims have filed criminal charges.  As for the nursing home inquiry, that's under the DOJ/FBI, so no, that won't - and shouldn't - be ending.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

The more I'm looking at this, with both Schumer and Gillebrand also just now calling for him to resign, and after last night's presidential address, Cuomo has all the sign of having missed the current Dem / political boat. That he's actually put his hands on a woman as late as 2020, and then try to say 'joke,' 'didn't mean,' etc. it has the feel that Cuomo dinosaured. 

Put that together with his cozy relationship with the pretty much right wing run multi-tentacled financial behemoth of General Greater New York Hospital Association -- who rule just all this and have billions at their disposal -- who were very involved with the covid-19 sick being put into LCF and numbers fudged -- the new Dem party sees him as a drag for the agenda, not an asset.

Good description / run-down here:

https://www.thenation.com/article/society/cuomo-nursing-homes-campaign/

Just saw this on the news. He's boned. 

3 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

One of the US’s elite nuclear submarines has a little problem. It’s infested with bedbugs.

*contemplates how a person debugs a nuclear submarine*

many years ago, I was on the Exxon Valdez oil spill cleanup.  The crews doing that job were housed aboard barges and ships.  My berth was a four bunk cabin on the DB 100 (a barge on stilts) that had been towed up from LA - and apparently maintained by one of that cities gangs while there.  Not a great place - but the crews bunked aboard the Navy ships consistently reported massive numbers of cockroaches....

For people who don't know what Tucker Carlson is up to these days (lucky you) he got all Fucker Failson about Biden talking about gender equality measures in the armed forces and denigrated the service of women in the military. Generals and Pentagon leaders have condemned him.

Senator Tammy Duckworth, who lost her legs as a chopper pilot in Iraq has weighed in.

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

For people who don't know what Tucker Carlson is up to these days (lucky you) he got all Fucker Failson about Biden talking about gender equality measures in the armed forces and denigrated the service of women in the military. Generals and Pentagon leaders have condemned him.

Senator Tammy Duckworth, who lost her legs as a chopper pilot in Iraq has weighed in.

That dismount though....

(his sponsors have to start pulling out, right? Right? RIGHT?!?!?)

Kilmeade’s suggestion that Biden took a cheap shot by criticizing Trump’s coronavirus response echoed what host Sean Hannity said on his show shortly after the speech.

“Joe Biden — he needs to pick up the phone, I suggest, call Mar-a-Lago, and, yeah, bring unity to the country, as he says he so desperately wants, and thank President Donald Trump,” he said. Later, he added: “No Trump, no vaccine, Joe. Stop taking credit for something, frankly, you had nothing to do with.”

Hannity says Biden should call Trump and thank him for his Covid response. That’s a stretch.
Fox News’s absurd reaction to Biden’s primetime coronavirus speech, explained.

https://www.vox.com/2021/3/12/22327201/biden-primetime-coronavirus-speech-fox-news-coverage-tucker-carlson-sean-hannity

19 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

He's also called some of his harassment joking. So we must carefully investigate what his intent was.

It's like when a 9th grader asks a 12 grader out and the response is laughter (I guess in this case, it's like when a Governor asks 12th grader out), and the 9th grader was like, "I was joking. I wouldn't date you--you're gross."

17 hours ago, Mudguard said:

Cuomo has been exposed as a piece of shit and needs to go.  Went from hero to zero in about 12 months.

From what I understand, plenty in New York were looking around last year saying, "Wait, wait. This guy sucks--stop Gulliani-ing him." 

I knew nothing about Cuomo when Covid-19 started, except a lot of people said nasty things about him even while praising his work during the pandemic. He seemed like a rational island in a sea of stupidity. I’m sure that he recognizes what they did about disguising LTC home deaths in retrospect was dumb, but at the time, with a nut job like Trump in the WH constantly attacking Cuomo, I’m sure people worried the state of NY might get short changed on supplies or support.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but all the deaths were reported, right? They weren’t just all reported as patients from nursing homes when they were moved to hospitals, right?

I also think the linking of deaths to patients moved from hospitals back to LTC homes is ludicrous. While some cases may have spread, I’m sure it was staff bringing Covid in from the community that was the major cause.

10 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So... I just saw a Truck flying an American flag... and a “Fuck Biden” flag.

:facepalm:

I blame Fox “News”. 

I check in on their website a couple times a week. It’s frigging insane. 

Someone is always getting “blasted” or “slammed”.

Ron Johnson says he didn't feel threatened Jan. 6. If BLM or Antifa stormed Capitol, he 'might have.'

“Even though those thousands of people that were marching to the Capitol were trying to pressure people like me to vote the way they wanted me to vote, I knew those were people that love this country, that truly respect law enforcement, would never do anything to break the law, and so I wasn't concerned,” Johnson (R-Wis.) said in an interview on conservative radio host Joe Pag’s show Thursday.

"Now, had the tables been turned — Joe, this could get me in trouble — had the tables been turned, and President Trump won the election and those were tens of thousands of Black Lives Matter and Antifa protesters, I might have been a little concerned," Johnson said.

Somebody really needs to beat the shit out of this fuck next year.

1 minute ago, DMC said:

Ron Johnson says he didn't feel threatened Jan. 6. If BLM or Antifa stormed Capitol, he 'might have.'

Somebody really needs to beat the shit out of this fuck next year.

Do these people believe their own bullshit?

Or are they so morally bankrupt they keep up the charade for self gain?

3 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Do these people believe their own bullshit?

Or are they so morally bankrupt they keep up the charade for self gain?

In Johnson's case, almost entirely Column B.

Archived