Am I the only person who has never used an illegal drug

Ser Scot A Ellison

So, my siblings and I had a zoom discussion about my mom.  She 74 and lives alone.  None of us (I’m the oldest of 4 it’s me, my sister, and two brothers behind us) are closer than an hour and a half drive from her.  During that discussion they started making jokes about smoking pot.

I’ve never done that.  I’ve never eaten pot brownies.  I’ve never consumed any “illegal” drugs beyond alcohol before I reached legal age.  They were very casual about it and all had tried it at some point.  It felt really awkward.

I don’t smoke and have no desire to ever “smoke” anything.  I don’t particularly like being drunk but I enjoy the flavor of beer, scotch, and bourbon.  

I feel like the only person on the planet who has never used anything other than alcohol and has no desire to use anything other than alcohol.  Is there anyone else, here, in that catagory? 

Please understand I’m not condemning anyone who does use substances that are currently illegal, I just wonder if anyone else is in my position.

I only did pot consumables after it was legal in this state, although still illegal at the federal level. It's not much different than beer. I only prefer beer because it's cheaper and pot tends to put me to sleep.

There can be a real downside to denying yourself all drugs. (although a really upside to denying yourself the worst of them) People that are really uptight can really benefit from them. And you really have no clue at all unless you've tried at least something. I didn't realize this until I was prescribed something for a medical condition and the drug had a profound and permanent positive effect on me. I looked up the drug much later and learned that it happened to be a beta-blocker. 

Main reason not to do illegal drugs is cops can be real turkeys.

I laugh hard at people who say things like 'I like beer and hard liquor but I don't do drugs'.

Get real will you.

Also, some of my finest, most enjoyable, most rewarding life experiences have taken place whilst completely off my chobblers.

Also, beer, scotch, and bourbon are literally poison. Cannabis, however....

You're not alone Scot, I have a bunch of cool straight edge friends.  

That being said, at any family gathering, I, my siblings and uncles and aunts regularly smoke weed in front of my wonderful grandmother, who pretends to be horrified.  

edit: also I wouldn't put weed in the same level as alcohol at all- alcohol can be used be responsibly, but ruins lives, relationships, and kills people at an order of magnitude beyond marijuana.

edit: weed is super easy to use responsible and has killed less people than tylenol.

18 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

I laugh hard at people who say things like 'I like beer and hard liquor but I don't do drugs'.

Get real will you.

Also, some of my finest, most enjoyable, most rewarding life experiences have taken place whilst completely off my chobblers.

Also, beer, scotch, and bourbon are literally poison. Cannabis, however....

I’m not laughing.  I’m asking as I feel like the odd person out.  

It's all in who you know. I know plenty of people who have never done an illegal drug including a lot of fairly young people  and plenty who have done some crazy shit. I honestly find it really odd that you wouldn't know someone who hasn't.

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Okay?  

Once again, I’m not offering judgment.  I was simply surprised by all my siblings’ (people I grew up with) very casual attitude about this.  

I keep reading about how Generation Z are really not that into alcohol.  Certainly, my own family members in that age group tend to back this up. My clan is lousy with vegans and teetotallers. They're all mad for the molly, though.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Okay?  

Once again, I’m not offering judgment.  I was simply surprised by all my siblings’ (people I grew up with) very casual attitude about this.  

I mean I think it's like speeding it's illegal but enough peopl do it that socially we don't treat it like a crime. Especially with weed there is a lot of semi open use, at least in western countries.

Zero illegal drugs for me too.  I tried marijuana legally in Amsterdam when I was young.  I didn’t notice enough effect above the beer buzz to see the point.  Since it was the only time I’ve ever smoked, the strangest part of the experience was inhaling smoke into my lungs — that felt really weird.

But I definitely plan to indulge in some conscious-altering chemicals once my brain has deteriorated in old age and the consequences are no longer to be feared.

7 minutes ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Zero illegal drugs for me too.  I tried marijuana legally in Amsterdam when I was young.  I didn’t notice enough effect above the beer buzz to see the point.  Since it was the only time I’ve ever smoked, the strangest part of the experience was inhaling smoke into my lungs — that felt really weird.

Beer and weed don't really mix. That's probably why you didn't see the point. Though, consider yourself lucky you hadn't consumed enough beer to send you into a whitey the moment you tried the weed. That is legit one of the worst feelings in the world.

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

Beer and weed don't really mix. That's probably why you didn't see the point. Though, consider yourself lucky you hadn't consumed enough beer to send you into a whitey the moment you tried the weed. That is legit one of the worst feelings in the world.

This is a lie of the highest order and defies my daily experience for the bulk of the last 25 years

4 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

This is a lie of the highest order and defies my daily experience for the bulk of the last 25 years

Sure, there is rarely a finer thing than a couple of pints and a reefer to get a buzz on. But drinking loads, then smoking weed is a recipe for disaster.

Speaking of which, have a butcher's at my luscious lady garden.

Archived