Am I the only person who has never used an illegal drug

Ser Scot A Ellison

15 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

Hah! 

I'm the opposite. I drink plenty but try to avoid caffeine as much as possible. 

Given I can't wean off caffeine without it shredding my brain with the worst migraines of my life as I try to pull it's hooks out, even when I'm being given morphine at the time, I think there's a lot of sense in avoiding caffeine. It's the prescription drugs that we the line in the sand for me, as my life at this point is literally not worth living without them. 

2 hours ago, Fury Resurrected said:

It sounds like the straightedge may be right for you, can I interest you in some early hardcore and 2000s pop punk albums?

I really really appreciate having you back on here lol.

3 hours ago, karaddin said:

Given I can't wean off caffeine without it shredding my brain with the worst migraines of my life as I try to pull it's hooks out, even when I'm being given morphine at the time, I think there's a lot of sense in avoiding caffeine. It's the prescription drugs that we the line in the sand for me, as my life at this point is literally not worth living without them. 

I really really appreciate having you back on here lol.

Just wait till I pull out the ‘ol edgebreak facebreak saw

5 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

I was a ska kid then but all my straight edge buddies were always pushing me to listen to Minor Threat, Gorilla Biscuits, 10 Yard Fight, and Bane.  Straight edge crew was awesome, always had a safe ride home and sober people to watch your back.  

If you were a ska kid I would’ve personally tried to lure you in with H20 and early AFI instead. No ska kid wants to jump straight into Bane.

2 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I had a HORRIBLE caffeine addiction in grad school, and that was pure hell to wean off it. I also had a toddler, so grad school + toddler = caffeine addiction. 

Morphine gives me headaches, so morphine would not have saved the from the Great Caffeine Detox of 1998. That was bad. BAD.

I just have no intention of ever weaning off again lol. This can accompany me to the grave, I like my brain non-shredded.

And my chronic migraine is at the upper end of the spectrum so my inability to deal with the withdrawal ones is significant, I hate the normal ones but I can get through them and meds work on them.

7 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I had a HORRIBLE caffeine addiction in grad school, and that was pure hell to wean off it. I also had a toddler, so grad school + toddler = caffeine addiction. 

Morphine gives me headaches, so morphine would not have saved the from the Great Caffeine Detox of 1998. That was bad. BAD.

5 hours ago, karaddin said:

I just have no intention of ever weaning off again lol. This can accompany me to the grave, I like my brain non-shredded.

I believe I read once that caffeine can kill you if you took a pill of it, chopped it up and snorted it like it was cocaine. 

26 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Not sure I believe that. Not that you read it, but I don't think snorting a caffeine pill is going to kill anyone.

I think you should test it. For science.

Coke, the drink, may be stronger today than when it had actual cocaine in it. Just something to think about, like how many things we deem as hard drugs today were casual over the counter affairs a century ago, and the irrational ways in which we judge what should be legal and fine and which are the devil's work we must irrationally oppose.

I'm going to go smoke a plant now. Some would call it obvious medicine. Others would jail me for using it. Hence why the topic on "illegality" here is laughable. If you don't want to do drugs, that's fine, or drink, which is fine too, but attaching legality and morality in this sense is silly. Just say you don't want to take any mind-altering drugs, but be honest with yourself as you say that while swigging back a hug gulp of coffee. 

27 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Not sure I believe that

The problem actually seems to be the dangerously high dosages of powdered supplements.  Any caffeine pills you're buying over the counter aren't going to have nearly that much.  Plus I'd assume there are a lot of inactive ingredients included, so bumping a caffeine pill is really stupid and is just going to make your nose hurt.  But beware, they could still make you do this:

14 minutes ago, DMC said:

The problem actually seems to be the dangerously high dosages of powdered supplements.  Any caffeine pills you're buying over the counter aren't going to have nearly that much.  Plus I'd assume there are a lot of inactive ingredients included, so bumping a caffeine pill is really stupid and is just going to make your nose hurt.  But beware, they could still make you do this:

I am sure you are correct about this in terms of adults. However, it is possible for small children, because of their low body weight, to die from caffeine overdose if they eat an entire box of No-Doz pills at once. So people should realize these pills should be kept away from toddlers. 

7 minutes ago, Ormond said:

However, it is possible for small children, because of their low body weight, to die from caffeine overdose if they eat an entire box of No-Doz pills at once. So people should realize these pills should be kept away from toddlers. 

Certainly.  I was referring to the relative dosage of one caffeine pill.

Yeah, a quick search didn't indicate that a significant amount of caffeine fails to be metabolized when ingested so I don't think you're getting a significantly higher dose by powdering and snorting a pill than you would by swallowing it. It will enter your blood stream and hit your brain a hell of a lot faster and there's going to be some increased impact due to the higher dose hitting at once, but I think you'd only see substantial danger due to snorting being easier to take a dramatically higher dose in a short period of time.

And Tywin - if you were getting any sense of judgement from me it certainly wasn't intended, I think people should be free to put what they want in their bodies for the most part. My caffeine withdrawal anecdote was meant to be agreeing with your point, it's a far worse withdrawal for me than both codeine after 5 years of constant use and oxycodone after 5 months of extremely high usage.

There's a real double standard when it comes to the weight put on drug dependency, it's only treated as a serious problem with the drugs that we've already decided are a problem. Dependency and withdrawal is a huge deal with a lot of very important drugs, such as a ton of anti depressants, anti seizure meds etc, and it's not a reason to not use them, but it should be stressed just as heavily as it is when being prescribed opioids or benzos. In all cases it's one aspect of utilizing the medication and the patient should be aware of all the issues if they're supposed to be giving informed consent, and it's something that you can manage when you know.

Because I was curious I ran a query on national vital statistics system data. There have possibly been two caffeine poisoning deaths in past 20 years in the United States (1 in 2001, and 1 in 2003). Though they could also be the result of an unknown central nervous stimulant.

There is also the ICD-10 death code F15 (Mental and behavioural disorders due to use of other stimulants, including caffeine). Unfortunately, that's an extremely broad category, covering a lot of drugs and a lot of death types (though specifically not overdoses). There's been 29,997 of those deaths in the past 20 years, but no way to tease out if any of them are actually due to the caffeine.

23 minutes ago, karaddin said:

And Tywin - if you were getting any sense of judgement from me it certainly wasn't intended, I think people should be free to put what they want in their bodies for the most part. My caffeine withdrawal anecdote was meant to be agreeing with your point, it's a far worse withdrawal for me than both codeine after 5 years of constant use and oxycodone after 5 months of extremely high usage.

No just the opposite, and I was just adding to it. Nothing you wrote came across as judgmental to me at all.

The comment to snorting a caffeine pill comes from a college course about drug use and abuse. The examples were a counterpoint to snorting cocaine, and how if you snorted other substances (snorting Adderall was big at the time), they could have even worse outcomes. For whatever reason snorting a bunch of caffeine just stood out to me.

Once, at a party in @Fury Resurrected oh so beloved former town of St. Cloud, I paid a guy like $10 or $20 to snort everything on the table, which included all kinds of leftover drugs from chopped weed to pills and your average level of college party house dust, dirtiness and spill liquor. It was funny until it immediately wasn't. I think that was the night I also set $1,000 on fire. Or was it? Fun times when you're young and dumb.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The comment to snorting a caffeine pill comes from a college course about drug use and abuse. The examples were a counterpoint to snorting cocaine, and how if you snorted other substances (snorting Adderall was big at the time), they could have even worse outcomes. For whatever reason snorting a bunch of caffeine just stood out to me.

Bumping any pill inherently increases the risk as it's immediately being put into your system without being broken down.  Particularly with adderall, they originally had the 10 mg blue pills, which bumping just made the effect more akin to coke.  Then they came out with the 35 mg time-release beige-ish ones.  These were harder to break up because they were little balls in a capsule, but bumping it obviously eliminates the time-release aspect.

I bumped a lot of pills when I was a kid, but the reason I mentioned inactive ingredients with caffeine pills is because when pills are composed of this it really hurts your nose - for, obviously, no reason.  Thus why, while I did take no-doz on occasion in college, I'd never bump it.  I also recall once trying to bump this hydrocodone that also included a bunch of acetaminophen.  That hurt like balls and was really stupid.

18 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I know a good scientist who used to put caffeine powder into his coffee. It was a really strong powder, so anything more than 1/4 teaspoon was considered really risky.

Straight coffee is enough for me, and I limit myself to 1 cup per day, generally. 

Ever had Cuban coffee? 

14 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

No, I don’t like strong coffee. I drink espresso with milk. At least 8 oz of milk.

It's basically a shot of liquid cocaine. I've never drank four 5-hour ENERGY drinks at once before, but it's probably akin to that. 

Archived