Am I the only person who has never used an illegal drug

Ser Scot A Ellison

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's basically a shot of liquid cocaine. I've never drank four 5-hour ENERGY drinks at once before, but it's probably akin to that. 

That sounds like begging for a tummy ache.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Ever had Cuban coffee? 

Why yes. Many times. When visiting Cuba I drink it all the time. I usually  bring a bag or two home whenever I visit. Very good coffee.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Cuban coffee is for the strong, Week! 

(I would not suggest drinking a lot of it though)

No no no, the five hour energy drinks you knucklehead. Gimme that cuban coffee!! I drink about 3+ cups of french press daily.

6 hours ago, DMC said:

Gotta say, five hour energy never did anything for me.  Gimme Red Bull or Monster.

I can understand forcing a little can of red bull down if desperate. But people who drink those massive monster cans look demented. 

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I can understand forcing a little can of red bull down if desperate. But people who drink those massive monster cans look demented. 

I only drink energy drinks - or much of any caffeine for that matter - when I'm writing papers.  As for the can size or brand, I'll usually buy the biggest ones of Monster at the grocery store just because it's cheapest.  I put it in a glass and throw a bunch of gin in there anyway.  I've always had a pretty unhealthy lifestyle, but these days that's mostly due to the smoking and drinking.

I’m down to about 2 cups of coffee before noon, with maybe a green tea before 3pm if I’m living on the edge.

The worst time I had was a 6 month jag using ephedra back in college, before a baseball players heart exploded from it and it was made illegal.  I got locked into a cycle of drinking late into the night, and then having 2 pills with my coffee to get to class or work and stay awake.  It was basically OTC trucker meth - do not recommend.

On 3/15/2021 at 6:40 PM, Fury Resurrected said:

It sounds like the straightedge may be right for you, can I interest you in some early hardcore and 2000s pop punk albums?

Ooo, I still listen to 2000's music pretty regularly :P. 2000's pop punk sounds like it is/could be good be for me~

I sowed all my wild oats at a really young age, and I enjoy being straight, not doing drugs/drinking/smoking.  Most of my years doing all that stuff were just sort of immature and stupid, but I also had some very good times.  I don't regret it; it's part of who I am.  But I like me better sober.

I would feel weird joking with my family about any of the above because many of them are alcoholic, or teetotaler/Baptists who have no sense of humor about well, most stuff.  I don't really 'fit' with my family in a lot of ways, but I love them.  But we can't talk about most things of any significance because we disagree on pretty much everything.

I really admire the straightedge lifestyle.  I'm not straightedge myself, but I do share some similarities, and I try to inject my life with the thoughtfulness and deliberateness that I see in their way of living.

And also, @Ser Scot A Ellison, I can't speak for you, but most family conversations I have are just going to be awkward, period.  I'm either going to be biting my tongue or saying something that ticks someone off.  Family is just rough sometimes.

Never did any illegal drug, never wanted to, though not for lack of access; I've been in enough parties to see pot, actually had a couple of friends who grew some.

I once tried to have a few puffs on a friend's pipe, but that was hopeless and it didn't really interest me to begin with. So no smoking, never intended to even try a cigarette, ever. My mom's smoking was more than enough to me.

As a kid I used to dip a finger in my parents' drink, wine or beer, to taste it. Not covi-friendly obviously. So I had a bit of an idea of what mediocre wine and beer taste like. Never liked that, never was interested in wasting myself. I've probably drank a bit of wine, champagne and stuff a dozen of times or a bit more, but just for major occasion - say a friend's 20th birthday or the death of Reagan -, but even these cases are very rare, a couple of times a decade nowadays, at most, probably less. Yet I've been in a number of parties where most people ended up quite drunk, a few times, really really very badly drunk; it's actually useful to have someone sober in such cases.

Then, I don't even like tea or coffee and never saw the point to energy drinks - if I have to take that kind of things to be effective at work, then fuck off, it's not my problem, it's the job that's got a problem. I stick to strictly regular Coke (not to boost energy or anything, just an acquired taste from a lengthy stay in Mexico, and don't try to get me diet Coke or Pepsi) and chocolate, and that's it.

Individuals vary though, for some people needing a stimulant to be more alert/focused isn't an indication that they're not finding their work stimulating, just that they need the assistance for some other reason.

The actual effect of drugs also varies between individuals. Some people don't tolerate caffeine at all and it makes them jittery, some people it helps relax, and some don't get that much out of it at all. Much like the drugs used for ADHD the effect you'll get when its not a suitable drug to help you can leave you confused why it would help anyone.

20 minutes ago, Liffguard said:

This is me. I can drink coffee or tea all evening and then sleep like a rock.

Ever investigated if you have ADHD? Because same and both finding it relaxing and being less sensitive to it are common variations in people with ADHD. Less commonly known presentations of it (ie less disruptive to the adults in your life, more disruptive to you personally) frequently go unrecognized, I didn't get diagnosed until I was in my 30s. Not armchair diagnosing you lol, just something that might be worth considering if you've never had reason to before.

5 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Ever investigated if you have ADHD? Because same and both finding it relaxing and being less sensitive to it are common variations in people with ADHD. Less commonly known presentations of it (ie less disruptive to the adults in your life, more disruptive to you personally) frequently go unrecognized, I didn't get diagnosed until I was in my 30s. Not armchair diagnosing you lol, just something that might be worth considering if you've never had reason to before.

Can't say I've heard this one, but it would be fascinating to see it proven so. I'd never have guessed it, but things that can seem on their surface counterintuitive may have a more understandable underlying answer.

15 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Ever investigated if you have ADHD?

It's something that's crossed my mind before. Never enough to actually talk to a medical professional about it, but definitely something I've at least considered.

35 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Can't say I've heard this one, but it would be fascinating to see it proven so. I'd never have guessed it, but things that can seem on their surface counterintuitive may have a more understandable underlying answer.

Yeah I don't have a study to point to, just anecdotal from myself and my wife along with other people I know online. There's also still going to be individual variation of course.

From memory there's also some data suggesting taurine has a positive impact on ADHD and the relaxing effect is strongest from Red Bull for me. 

Of course there's also psychological components to consider, having a coffee can be a cultural exercise, a social one, have traits around it's consumption that can be considered ritualistic, and be part of a routine. All of these can also shape the way the drug is doing to effect you.

Archived