Am I the only person who has never used an illegal drug

Ser Scot A Ellison

47 minutes ago, Liffguard said:

It's something that's crossed my mind before. Never enough to actually talk to a medical professional about it, but definitely something I've at least considered.

One of the other symptoms I've seen pop up as common among people who don't catch it till later is "Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria", if you haven't heard that before it might be worth having a look online to see if there's a different group of traits that also fit.

10 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I have paradoxical reactions to morphine and oxycodone. Insomnia. I’ve also had diagnosed depression. 

My cousin has a similar reaction to most sedating medication, doesn't seem very helpful

2 hours ago, karaddin said:

Individuals vary though, for some people needing a stimulant to be more alert/focused isn't an indication that they're not finding their work stimulating, just that they need the assistance for some other reason.

Don't get me wrong: I don't mean that other people are foolish, at fault or there's something wrong with them, because they'd find their work boring or tedious without plenty of coffee. I just mean that if work is boring, then as far as I'm concerned it is work that will have to suffer, not me who will have to drink something I strongly dislike just to be more productive. Or to put it in another way, there's at times something wrong with job and work, since we might require something to boost us to do or finish it efficiently.

As for relaxing to some people, it might - I can drink orange juice or coke just before sleeping, they haven't any noticeable effect on me.

29 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Of course there's also psychological components to consider, having a coffee can be a cultural exercise, a social one, have traits around it's consumption that can be considered ritualistic, and be part of a routine. All of these can also shape the way the drug is doing to effect you.

Yeah, I don't really get much effect, if any, from energy drinks or caffeine pills or the like. But even small amounts of coffee can work wonders. I suspect there's a strong placebo effect going on besides the chemical itself. It's the whole ritual and routine of making it. The feeling of warmth in my hands from the mug, the steam and the aroma. It's a whole experience.

Some somkers I know have told me they have a similar relationship to cigarettes. That it's not just the nicotine, it's the whole social and experiential package that comes with the physical act of smoking.

4 minutes ago, karaddin said:

One of the other symptoms I've seen pop up as common among people who don't catch it till later is "Rejection Sensitive Dysphoria", if you haven't heard that before it might be worth having a look online to see if there's a different group of traits that also fit.

Never heard that term before. I've just googled it. It...may very well apply to me. Putting it lightly.

54 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Yeah I don't have a study to point to, just anecdotal from myself and my wife along with other people I know online. There's also still going to be individual variation of course.

From memory there's also some data suggesting taurine has a positive impact on ADHD and the relaxing effect is strongest from Red Bull for me. 

Of course there's also psychological components to consider, having a coffee can be a cultural exercise, a social one, have traits around it's consumption that can be considered ritualistic, and be part of a routine. All of these can also shape the way the drug is doing to effect you.

And that's okay. It's just something interesting that I wouldn't have guessed if indeed it's correct.

52 minutes ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

I have paradoxical reactions to morphine and oxycodone. Insomnia. I’ve also had diagnosed depression. 

I almost never get hungry when I smoke weed.

3 hours ago, karaddin said:

Individuals vary though, for some people needing a stimulant to be more alert/focused isn't an indication that they're not finding their work stimulating, just that they need the assistance for some other reason.

The actual effect of drugs also varies between individuals. Some people don't tolerate caffeine at all and it makes them jittery, some people it helps relax, and some don't get that much out of it at all. Much like the drugs used for ADHD the effect you'll get when its not a suitable drug to help you can leave you confused why it would help anyone.

Yea I have a bit of a weird relationship with caffeine. A little bit is fine. Like a regular soda is OK, even a black tea like an earl grey or something is good - but increase the amount of caffeine a bit to the equivalent of a cup of coffee and I start getting jittery and I really, really hate the feeling it gives me. It’s weird because like many people a little bit of caffeine is nice and keeps me from snoring at my desk, but if I cross a certain threshold, which is pretty low, I very much dislike the feeling.

Since this is about drugs you have never tried, I've never had a cup of coffee (or tea). Which is weird as I really want to, as I love the smell of coffee and the smugness of tea drinkers. I just don't like hot drinks at all. 

9 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Since this is about drugs you have never tried, I've never had a cup of coffee (or tea). Which is weird as I really want to, as I love the smell of coffee and the smugness of tea drinkers. I just don't like hot drinks at all. 

I had never even sipped coffee until I was 30 as I hated the smell of it, but got drawn in by a December in Sweden. The combination of really cold weather and getting coffee together being a thing (fika) I got drawn in. A couple of weeks of that and by the time I came home dependency had its claws in me and I started getting mysterious migraines that didn't respond to meds normally, took coincidentally having an iced tea while out for breakfast (Jan in Sydney can be as hot as Sweden was cold) and the penny dropped.

I got into the experience of drinking coffee and learnt to tolerate the flavour, but I still need it drowned out. Then a couple of years ago I started yet another medication for migraine preventative and it changed my perception of body temperature - I went from someone who was frequently freezing in temperatures that should have been cold to sleeping with just a sheet outside the middle of winter because I get too hot.

Along with feeling hot came the inability to drink anything hot most of the time. If I've walked at all then I'm definitely too hot, so take away coffee is a no go, I can sometimes have one when sitting down for a meal but that's about it. So that was a long story to say I can understand completely not liking hot drinks. I get my caffeine from those poorly regarded energy drinks because at least they're cold.

44 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

It is 2021. There are now cold coffees. 

5 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

It is 2021. There are now cold coffees. 

Yes, and you could also suck pureed dog vomit through a hobo's gusset should you choose.

Cold coffee. Get the fuck out of here with that bullshit. 

1 hour ago, Liffguard said:

I love me some cold brew coffee.

To be clear though, cold coffee has to be ice cold. Piping hot coffee is great. Frosty iced coffee is great. Slightly cool, tepid coffee is an abomination unto God.

Cold brew is good, Japanese Iced Filter as well, and I like an iced latte. But they’ve gotta be good quality. This is probably for a separate thread but I wonder how many people get put off coffee from having bad coffee, which is what you get served in 95% of establishments.

9 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

You’re a British police officer who has never (ever?) had a tea or coffee? This is the strangest thing I’ve read in this thread.

1 hour ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

You’re a British police officer who has never (ever?) had a tea or coffee? This is the strangest thing I’ve read in this thread.

Yeah. Working shifts without coffee has been the great struggle of my life. 

19 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I work shift without coffee and tea too but I sometimes drink a can of red bull(or a knockoff). I used to drink mate but got way to dependant and stopped. 

I still drink a lot (far too much) of diet coke. I don't do shifts anymore but I do have to get up before 6 everyday, and my daughter is not a great sleeper. 

3 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I still drink a lot (far too much) of diet coke. I don't do shifts anymore but I do have to get up before 6 everyday, and my daughter is not a great sleeper. 

I drink the diet versions too. Maybe not much healthier but I add like 2 kg per month to my weight if I drink stuff with sugar in it... 

On 3/23/2021 at 5:47 PM, Liffguard said:

This is me. I can drink coffee or tea all evening and then sleep like a rock.

Apropos of nothing, but I used to say it was the having to go to the bathroom every half hour or so from all the coffee, not the caffeine that would keep me awake...

Archived