UK Politics - I Protest

Which Tyler

Yeah it's not even so much that they chose not to officially allow it but that when it inevitabely happened anyway they came with force (but notably after the Duchess of Cambridge had fucked off home). I've seen claims that the reason is that it got rowdier after dark, which makes  sense coz it would, but none of the videos supporting this view show anything more insiduous than chanting 'fuck the police', which isn't very nice but doesn't actually count as violence and I cannot see why that would need kettling, manhandling and dragging people off.

Even if one were to agree with the morality of stepping in, the manner in which it's happened is ludicrously terrible optics and is only gonna cause larger and more intense protests.

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

These scenes are shocking , and I’m pretty sure Cressida Dick will lose her job over this. 

Haven't you heard? Accountability is a thing of the past.

This looks awful. You'd think that because they're protesting a serving officer abducting and killing a woman, the police would just have stood the fuck down.

Note that Parliament is going to be debating a new law this week which will give police greatly expanded powers to shut down protests the government disagree with, with people being liable for up to 10 years in prison.

Labour seem to currently be planning to abstain on it.

11 hours ago, Heartofice said:

These scenes are shocking , and I’m pretty sure Cressida Dick will lose her job over this. It does raise questions as to the lockdown laws, as has been mentioned, application of those laws seems pretty selective. 

I hope she doesn't. She's by far the best leader we have had in a long time.  I'm not sure whether being a woman will save her, or go worse for her in this situation. 

The issue I have with the lockdown laws is we seem to be enforcing them far more strictly now when cases and deaths are trending down. We could have made a difference if we had been less forgiving when it all started. 

8 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Even if one were to agree with the morality of stepping in, the manner in which it's happened is ludicrously terrible optics and is only gonna cause larger and more intense protests.

Doing it the week after international womans day, and the day before mothers day is just the icing on cake. 

12 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Doing it the week after international womans day, and the day before mothers day is just the icing on cake. 

You nearly gave me a heart attack.

I forgot I was in the UK thread. The ESM would’ve been disappointed. 

Just now, A True Kaniggit said:

You nearly gave me a heart attack.

I forgot I was in the UK thread. The ESM would’ve been disappointed. 

Its payback for the daylight saving thread worrying me unnecessarily early. 

8 hours ago, Spockydog said:

That fucking drunk is an absolute disaster. He needs to get out of the way and join the Tories.

Not that i disagree, but for who? There is hardly a list of electable people at the top of the party currently. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I hope she doesn't. She's by far the best leader we have had in a long time.  I'm not sure whether being a woman wil save her, or go worse for her in this situation. 

The issue I have with the lockdown laws is we seem to be enforcing them far more strictly now when cases and deaths are trending down. We could have made a difference if we had been less forgiving when it all started. 

She should never have even got to be Commissioner after the de Menezes case 

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Not that i disagree, but for who? There is hardly a list of electable people at the top of the party currently. 

I don't know, man. Anyone but Starmer. He is the worst, most inept leader of the opposition that I can remember. At least Corbyn called them out on their bullshit.

Worse than Corbyn?! Seriously?

Surely the point with Starmer isn't that he's bad, it's just that he's a 'meh' leader. His competence is his real selling point, him trying to come across like the adult in the room, the problem with that is that it's heavily reliant in being in stark contrast to the government. So if Boris ever starts to look like he even half knows what he's doing then Starmer gets blown out of the water. Hence why the Tories are getting back to a 10pt lead in polls since vaccines started rolling out.

Unless Labour get an actual vision for opposition then they are doomed to staying there.

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

He's probably better than Corbyn in terms of having some kind of personal appeal to enough people, and enough sense of how to play the game, to win an election (but still as it stands not enough) but he's definitely worse than Corbyn as far as being an actual opponent in opposition goes.

13 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Surely the point with Starmer isn't that he's bad, it's just that he's a 'meh' leader. His competence is his real selling point, him trying to come across like the adult in the room, the problem with that is that it's heavily reliant in being in stark contrast to the government. So if Boris ever starts to look like he even half knows what he's doing then Starmer gets blown out of the water. Hence why the Tories are getting back to a 10pt lead in polls since vaccines started rolling out.

Unless Labour get an actual vision for opposition then they are doomed to staying there.

Yes, worse than Corbyn. Whatever you think of the man, he inspired hundreds of thousands. Who the fuck is Starmer inspiring? Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, that's who.

His policy of silence over the Tory PPE crony scandals. His refusal to rip them to shreds over the worst handling of the pandemic by any government outside of the Americas. His embracing of the Union Jack waving Brexit voting morons and wankers, whilst alienating huge swathes of the traditional party support.

And he's a fucking alcoholic. Look at his red, blotchy, alcoholic face and tell me this man isn't guzzling shitloads of hard booze, every single day.                                            

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

He's probably better than Corbyn in terms of having some kind of personal appeal to enough people, and enough sense of how to play the game, to win an election (but still as it stands not enough) but he's definitely worse than Corbyn as far as being an actual opponent in opposition goes.

Not sure about that, Corbyn wasn’t especially good at being an opposition or holding government to account. Plus he was basically unelectable and what you really want from an opposition is some sort of alternative 

15 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Yes, worse than Corbyn. Whatever you think of the man, he inspired hundreds of thousands. Who the fuck is Starmer inspiring?

His policy of silence over the Tory PPE crony scandals. His refusal to rip them to shreds over the worst handling of the pandemic by any government outside of the Americas. His embracing of the Union Jack waving Brexit voting morons and wankers, whilst alienating huge swathes of the traditional party support.

And he's a fucking alcoholic. Look at his red, blotchy, alcoholic face and tell me this man isn't guzzling shitloads of hard booze, every single day.                                            

Think the problem with what you are advocating is that if you just come across like you are screaming at the government for the sake of screaming then people stop listening. I think Starmer has been pretty canny in picking his battles and biding his time actually. I think you’d be surprised how much sympathy there is for the governments handling of the pandemic, no matter how bad it is, we’re still talking about one of those ‘act of god’ dilemmas that is impossible to predict. 

Plus his embracing of some level of national pride is a very clever move in my opinion, it was Corbyns consistent anti British stance on almost every issue that prevented him being elected.

5 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

His competence is his real selling point, him trying to come across like the adult in the room,

I think it's more that the impression of competence is his selling point. He's a smart, professional-looking, suit-wearing white dude with some letters after his name. He looks like he could play the Prime Minister in a BBC drama. I'm not sure he's actually demonstrated any notable competence.

I'll agree with this. I'm not asking for a detailed manifesto at this stage, but I have no idea what the Labour leadership actually stand for, what their broad vision for society is. I think that Starmer's entire strategy (such as it is) is derived from focus groups and triangulation, and a fear of antagonising the billionaire press. He's terrified of truly confronting the government, because he's terrified that the papers will say that means he's no longer serious.

Archived