UK Politics - I Protest

Which Tyler

Apparently over half of adults have now received their first dose of a covid vaccine (it was pretty much guaranteed since it was 49.9% the day before). The 1-9 priority groups is about 32 million people so hopefully we get close to that before the likely slowdown in April.

19 hours ago, Werthead said:

A West Midlands probationary officer walked free from court despite admitting attacking a lone woman as she walked home from a night out.

Oh, would it be "difficult"? Poor diddums. I hope the judge gave him some warm coco as well.

Well, he should have thought about the consequences, before committing the crime. 

35 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Apparently over half of adults have now received their first dose of a covid vaccine (it was pretty much guaranteed since it was 49.9% the day before). The 1-9 priority groups is about 32 million people so hopefully we get close to that before the likely slowdown in April.

Hopefully the supply issues shouldn't affect vaccinations for the 1-9 groups, and therefore there shouldn't be any real delay to the re-opening of lockdown

1 hour ago, ljkeane said:

Got mine today, which I'm very happy about.

8 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I think they were saying they were still expecting to meet the original timetable, but the hopes of accelerating the timetable didn't work out.

Piers and Jeremy both dog-piling on Meghan now, both using very condescending language. I never had much respect for either of them, though I gave piers a few respect points on his US gun control views. Such nasty language coming from Jeremy. I have deliberately not read up on the details of that interview or subsequent commentary, but even if Meghan (and hence Harry - haven't seen any Harry condescension headlines myself) is totally in the wrong there are less nasty ways of rebutting and refuting, which may not play as well with their base, but would play better with the general public. My sympathies immediately go towards harry and Meghan when I see the headline quote that has been attributed to Jeremy. Maybe I'm an outlier in this respect.

Jeremy never fails to continually go down in my estimation whenever he publicly comments on anything.

10 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Behave in a way that justifies the thing you are protesting against.

I mean, I can see why you would be pissed off, but... it kind of doesn't. Unless the new bill makes this sort of criminal behaviour more illegal, somehow, it wouldn't help at all to prevent a repetition of this sort of thing. Any protest can be hijacked by people intent on violence.

7 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Piers and Jeremy both dog-piling on Meghan now, both using very condescending language. I never had much respect for either of them, though I gave piers a few respect points on his US gun control views. Such nasty language coming from Jeremy. I have deliberately not read up on the details of that interview or subsequent commentary, but even if Meghan (and hence Harry - haven't seen any Harry condescension headlines myself) is totally in the wrong there are less nasty ways of rebutting and refuting, which may not play as well with their base, but would play better with the general public. My sympathies immediately go towards harry and Meghan when I see the headline quote that has been attributed to Jeremy. Maybe I'm an outlier in this respect.

Jeremy never fails to continually go down in my estimation whenever he publicly comments on anything.

Who is Jeremy?! What is this?

8 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I assume Jeremy is Clarkson?

Or have the Corbyn brothers joined the fray?

This is weird. A Tory MP tried to score points against the BBC by expressing outrage that a Union flag does not appear anywhere in its 268-page report from last year, and gets disgruntled when it's pointed out that Broadcasting House has a large Union flag fluttering above it 24/7.

One of the responses points out that 2019 Tory Party manifesto, James Wild's own website and his Facebook page are also 100% Union flag-free.

56 minutes ago, Werthead said:

This is weird. A Tory MP tried to score points against the BBC by expressing outrage that a Union flag does not appear anywhere in its 268-page report from last year, and gets disgruntled when it's pointed out that Broadcasting House has a large Union flag fluttering above it 24/7.

One of the responses points out that 2019 Tory Party manifesto, James Wild's own website and his Facebook page are also 100% Union flag-free.

I honestly don't know what I find more exasperating:

1) How keen the Tories are to stoke an American-style culture war.

2) How utterly clumsy and obvious they are about it.

3) How successful they are at it despite point 2.

13 hours ago, Liffguard said:

I honestly don't know what I find more exasperating:

1) How keen the Tories are to stoke an American-style culture war.

2) How utterly clumsy and obvious they are about it.

3) How successful they are at it despite point 2.

There's weirdly another row going on about this over Kew Gardens. Kew Gardens acknowledged that some of their plants (or their progenitors) and exhibits came to the UK via colonialism, so they are changing a few placards and so on to acknowledge that, and a Tory MP replied that it was "preposterous posturing by people so out of touch with the sentiment of patriotic Britain," which has more than a whiff of 1930s Germany about it.

Britain has done some fucking horrendous things in the not-too-distant-past (some well within living memory) and acknowledging that is not exactly the same thing as saying that Britain is Always Evil All the Time. History is a reflection of both the good and the bad and seeing people recommending censorship in the name of "patriotism" is disturbing.

Unsurprisingly, the government has reneged on its promise to stop landlords passing the cost for Grenfell-inspired fire improvement measures to tenants, even mobilising to shoot down an amendment designed to protect them. Some tenants are now saying they may face bills of up to £100,000 from their landlords.

Obviously if they had £100K to hand, they wouldn't be living in tiny flats in dodgily-clad buildings in the first place.

I can understand landlords putting rents up to cover the cost of the upgrades. But actually stiffing tenants for the bill directly seems like it should not need any legislation to be passed, since it should already not be legal to do that for mandatory safety compliance. Or is the fire protection still totally optional, so tenants have to ask for it and thus the cost is on them since the landlord is under no obligation to do anything?

Archived