UK Politics - I Protest

Which Tyler

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Well, I guess Titancon might be dead this year too.

It's looking iffy because of the proximity of the convention to the vaccine rollout.

The areas of rioting and violence in Belfast are occurring in key, well-known flashpoints between Unionist and Republican areas well outside the areas tourists usually visit. You'd hope they'd also be gone in four or five months, but nothing is a given in Northern Ireland.

13 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It’s funny how many people on Twitter cannot identify when someone is taking the piss 

You mean in the same way that certain people make appalling public utterances only to go on to claim they were joking or high on painkillers when they get called out on their bullshit? You mean like that?

Just now, Spockydog said:

You mean in the same way that certain people make appalling public utterances only to go on to claim they were joking when they get called out on their bullshit? You mean like that?

I mean the way the internet works is it takes everything at face value. Has little interest in context or irony.. because those things require more hard work. Plus it all helps to churn the outrage machine innit

20 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Celebrating people’s death.. it doesn’t really get any lower does it?

Well, that all depends on who just died. 

And look, nobody is celebrating. The guy was a husband, a father, a grandfather. But he was also a lot of other things, some of them very nasty and disturbing. And I cannot overlook the fact that his entire family and its position in this country is an aberration. What the fuck have the Windsors ever done for you? Or me? The nation's grandfather? I've never heard such horseshit.

So forgive me if I don't glug down the tabloid Koolaid telling me that his passing is an enormous loss for this country and I should mourn him like one of my own.

Because he most definitely wasn't.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Didn't basically everyone acknowledge that he was a racist while he was alive?

He was a young adult during WWII.  He came of age when there was still a British Empire.  He also gave up his life and ambitions for his wife.  Expecting him to have 21st century values, is a little odd, no?  If we lived in more reasonable time, people would cut a 99 year old a lot of slack for having a few unpalatable views.

27 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Yea it’s odd how many people choose the hours after someone dies to tell us how they really feel. 

I have been horrifying my English in laws for years with my take on the royals. I felt no need  to wait until their death. 

Archived