UK Politics - I Protest

Which Tyler

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Didn't basically everyone acknowledge that he was a racist while he was alive?

Yes, a little poorly worded on my part. I just meant; why say anything? If all you can contribute is “well I didn’t like him anyway”, that’s not really furthering any discussion.

There is a balance to be struck in some regards; I think when Thatcher died, anyone too young to know her politics may well have seen the outpouring as a validation of her as a politician, which people rightly need to voice a correction to. She was far from universally adored. But I would try to ask myself if what I’m saying is in anyway constructive, or if I’m just taking joy in someone’s death.

Just now, DaveSumm said:

So not only did you not like him, anyone who did is an idiot?

Anyone who stands in the street for this guy, waving plastic Union Jacks, and dribbling into their tea about how much they love the Royal Family is an idiot. Yes.

8 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

He was a young adult during WWII.  He came of age when there was still a British Empire.  He also gave up his life and ambitions for his wife.  Expecting him to have 21st century values, is a little odd, no?  If we lived in more reasonable time, people would cut a 99 year old a lot of slack for having a few unpalatable views.

I don’t think its unreasonable to ask that someone evolves with the times, no. Particularly not if that person is a public figure

Philip was very clearly prejudiced and unpleasant in some of his views. He treated his kids like dogshit, in particular his treatment of Charles as a child, and he came from privilege and elitism (if not as much as others; apparently he took delight in having never gone to Eton). If he wasn't white supremacist racist, he clearly had no problem making racist jokes and stereotypes.

He was also a war hero. He saved his ship, HMS Wallace, during the invasion of Sicily by deploying decoy rafts to successfully divert German bombers away from the craft and was mentioned in dispatches for bravery under fire. He gave up his career (he was considered a show-in as First Sea Lord) to join the Royal Family.

The Duke of Edinburgh Award, which he set up in the 1960s, has been a hugely positive force, helping hundreds of thousands of young people achieve greater things in life. He was an environmentalist and conservationist when such things were considered hippy nonsense. He campaigned to help disabled people at a time when they were considered best shut out of life and ignored.

He did try to move with the times: he welcomed Diana into the Royal Family and corresponded with her for a surprisingly long time into her breakup with Charles, considering her a kindred spirit as a fellow outsider who, like him, had disdain if not contempt for Royal Family protocol and traditions. Obviously when push came to shove, he publicly sided with the firm and supported his son, but in private he clearly held Charles' affair with Camilla in utter contempt.

He was capable of being a racist dickhead. He was also a war hero and family man who was responsible for raising more money for charities than almost anyone other individual (bar the Queen). On balance, he likely left the world a better place than if he had never been born.

21 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Whether or not you've had people murdered is also a good indication of character.

Prince Philip never had anyone murdered.

Honestly I'm pretty disgusted with the outpouring of vitriol from some quarters. It just seems.... I dunno gauche? Disrespectful? You might argue that he isn't deserving of respect and that's an opinion you can hold but maybe some respect for a grieving family, for a wife that's just lost a husband of many years?

You wanna piss on the grave that's your prerogative but wait until he's in the fucking ground.

33 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

He was a young adult during WWII.  He came of age when there was still a British Empire.  He also gave up his life and ambitions for his wife.  Expecting him to have 21st century values, is a little odd, no?  If we lived in more reasonable time, people would cut a 99 year old a lot of slack for having a few unpalatable views.

.This is horseshit. My grandfather was the same age and he managed to not be a racist, and bring up the racist British Empire only makes it worse. And oh no, he gave up his life to be the Queen's fucking husband. What a hard life...

And no, if we lived in a reasonable time, a racist would get called out and shamed for, ya know, being a fucking racist. He had plenty of time to change his views and there's no evidence he ever did.

4 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

The Windsors are one of the vilest families on the planet. A truly abominable collection of racists and paedophiles and god knows what else.

The sooner they're abolished the better.

There’s no cancel culture quite like leftist cancel culture!

:rofl:

4 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

There’s no cancel culture quite like leftist cancel culture!

:rofl:

Seems to be a reasonably effective and late-arriving counterweight to the colonizer culture that has dominated most of the English-speaking world for the last 400 years or so.

He was a 99 year old man of extreme privilege.

He did a lot of good, he did a lot of bad.

I don't really care one way or another that he's died; and feel that anyone crowing over his death is a bit crass; whilst anyone (beyond his family and friends) mourning it at least as much so; the sycophantic praise is a bit sickening already.

The only celebrations of his death I've seen are reactions to people bemoaning the celebrations that didn't exist beforehand.

Anyone going and laying flowers / gathering at the gates etc etc during a pandemic are bloody idiots, and need to be handled the same way as any other gatherings are at the moment (see the vigil for Sarah Everard)

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Well at least we wont have to go through the embarrassment of crowds not lining the streets for him. 

Well, we’re not going to get a bank holiday for it, are we?

My reaction is pretty much the same as when any old celebrity dies - sad news, condolences to his family, move on.

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Hey hey hey! I jest, I jest! Do I really have to say this? Wasn’t the lmao emoji enough?!

Nah, you're good, Bird. I think it was my lamposts and junk references wot did it. :lol:

Which was also a joke. Obvs. 

7 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Hey hey hey! I jest, I jest! Do I really have to say this? Wasn’t the lmao emoji enough?!

I don't know, I often lose track of what level of irony I and others are operating on. :dunno:

I figured you probably weren't being a shit.

Archived