UK Politics - I Protest

Which Tyler

32 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I can understand landlords putting rents up to cover the cost of the upgrades. But actually stiffing tenants for the bill directly seems like it should not need any legislation to be passed, since it should already not be legal to do that for mandatory safety compliance.

I don't see that putting up rents is better, it might spread it out a bit rather than having a single bill but it's still going to be an absurd cost. I think there might be a lot of variation in ground rents paid to freeholders but for my flat it's a £200 annual rent to the company who own the freehold. That would have to go up by orders of magnitude to pay a six-figure bill, thankfully I don't have any of these problems to deal with but I can't imagine how those that do must be feeling.

I don't know about the legal situation, but morally it feels like whichever companies built the flats originally should be the ones who would pay.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

I don't see that putting up rents is better, it might spread it out a bit rather than having a single bill but it's still going to be an absurd cost. I think there might be a lot of variation in ground rents paid to freeholders but for my flat it's a £200 annual rent to the company who own the freehold. That would have to go up by orders of magnitude to pay a six-figure bill, thankfully I don't have any of these problems to deal with but I can't imagine how those that do must be feeling.

I don't know about the legal situation, but morally it feels like whichever companies built the flats originally should be the ones who would pay.

Putting up rents on capital investments that improve the value of a property is morally dubious, but that seems to be the way things are. Unless you have regulation that prohibits rent increases above a CPI adjustment, then landlords will do what they want, and the only protection is a fairly competitive rental market where renters have plenty of options to go elsewhere. Most of the time renters have bugger all options to up sticks and leave. 

Fffs!

The enemy anti-tank aircraft/soldiers are going to have a hard time picking this bad boy out in the battlefield!

The ‘Born in Britain’ tag isnt even particularly accurate apparently.

What next, reverting to redcoats for thr infantry?

https://twitter.com/cocteautriplets/status/1374659534954848257?s=21

10 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Putting up rents on capital investments that improve the value of a property is morally dubious, but that seems to be the way things are. Unless you have regulation that prohibits rent increases above a CPI adjustment, then landlords will do what they want, and the only protection is a fairly competitive rental market where renters have plenty of options to go elsewhere. Most of the time renters have bugger all options to up sticks and leave. 

This isn't really about renters, I think maybe the original article was assuming some familiarity with how flats tend to be owned in England which I've heard is a bit unusual internationally (even in Scotland it tends to work differently). The "tenants" here are people who own the flats and may either live in them or let them out to others but they don't own the land or communal areas in the buildings. To pay for use of the land the flats are built on there will be a ground rent which will be strictly controlled (for my flat it is fixed for terms of 21 years at a time). There will also be a service charge paid to a management company who take care of maintenance of communal areas/insurance etc. That service charge might include a sinking fund to pay for future capital expenditure but that would probably be inadequate. No sane person would want to buy flats with this expense hanging over it so the leaseholders will be stuck with the property and probably paying a mortgage worth more than the current cost of the flat.

7 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Fffs!

The enemy anti-tank aircraft/soldiers are going to have a hard time picking this bad boy out in the battlefield!

The ‘Born in Britain’ tag isnt even particularly accurate apparently.

What next, reverting to redcoats for thr infantry?

https://twitter.com/cocteautriplets/status/1374659534954848257?s=21

"British by Birth" is a bit questionable when the Boxer A3 AFV is produced by ARTEC (based in Munich, parent companies Krauss-Maffei Wegmann, Rheinmetall Military Vehicles and Rhenmetall Defence Nederland BV, two German and one Dutch) and started as a German-French project, which Britain only joined late in the day. British Boxers constructed in the UK won't be delivered until 2023.

The over abundance of flags, the attacking heritage bodies & museums for simply sharing colonial history & rise of equating British pride and nationalism to the Tory party is all part of their plan to distract from their absolute shit show & the fact the UK is likely splintering before our eyes. 

Now, my dad’s ex RAF, he loves the Union Flag & feels enormous pride in it. I DON’T like it all that much anymore, but I know that not everyone who feels pride in it is one of these nasty Brit Nats but my goodness they are everywhere. 

People should be able to feel pride in being British whilst also able to criticise the government & take the mick out of themselves. 

it is really sinister. Recently in Penzance, Cornwall someone illegally put up Union Flags (there were currently no flags because of the weather conditions this time of year and Penzance prom has its own beautiful flags that it flies) and someone illegally put up like 10+ Union flags and then when the mayor of Penzance (a black woman) made the decision to take down these illegally erected flags there was a MASSIVE hate filled RACIST social media campaign against her by these types. 

THAT is who some of us are equating with the Union Flag these days and it makes me so sad. But there we go - and the government relies on these blind bigots and not the actual British people who will criticise them (which we should ALL do to our gov’s!)

I don’t know - I’m getting really tired and frustrated with this whole thing, the attack on heritage bodies & museums for telling fairer more balanced views of British history, people being attacked viciously for removing illegally erected flags, no sense of humour over being British anymore just blind loyal nasty stupidity. 

comedy used to be one of the things I loved about being British...make a joke about a flag now and you’re silenced? Incredible...

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

comedy used to be one of the things I loved about being British...make a joke about a flag now and you’re silenced? Incredible...

All whilst complaining about Cancel culture - don't forget

Flags, yeah it's a trap for Labour basically. Nobody really cares about whether there are flags on top of buildings, what they actually pay attention to is when people want them taken down or take exception to them. It's all part of Labour's problem that it really struggles to look like it's proud of Britain and it's achievements. That is basically what a voting population would like, at a bare minimum, to not feel like the Government is ashamed of their country. 

The problem is that we are one of those nations in the world where we do feel ashamed to have any national pride, because of the associations to football hooligans and racists. I remember during world cups and everyone around the area would have their flags in the window.. but if you saw an english one you'd feel uncomfortable and just assume racists lived there. It's just odd, I don't see that in other countries. 

But what can Labour do in this situation. If they complain about it or make comments about it then they have basically lost, it just confirms everything voters they were trying to win back were thinking about them. They are already trying to wash off that Corbyn stain, and this is one of those ways that they will struggle.

The whole 'culture wars' thing is battle Labour really cannot win, which is why the Tories will ramp it up when they can. 

42 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Flags, yeah it's a trap for Labour basically. Nobody really cares about whether there are flags on top of buildings, what they actually pay attention to is when people want them taken down or take exception to them. It's all part of Labour's problem that it really struggles to look like it's proud of Britain and it's achievements. That is basically what a voting population would like, at a bare minimum, to not feel like the Government is ashamed of their country. 

The problem is that we are one of those nations in the world where we do feel ashamed to have any national pride, because of the associations to football hooligans and racists. I remember during world cups and everyone around the area would have their flags in the window.. but if you saw an english one you'd feel uncomfortable and just assume racists lived there. It's just odd, I don't see that in other countries. 

But what can Labour do in this situation. If they complain about it or make comments about it then they have basically lost, it just confirms everything voters they were trying to win back were thinking about them. They are already trying to wash off that Corbyn stain, and this is one of those ways that they will struggle.

The whole 'culture wars' thing is battle Labour really cannot win, which is why the Tories will ramp it up when they can. 

It fails to account for the various national identities people have within the uk before “British” even my dad who is a staunch unionist says Welsh before British. There will be people who say British before English, there’s people who will say Scottish, European before if ever saying British. 

I’m from Cornwall, even I don’t call myself English but instead Cornish (and Welsh) and THEN British. 

I don’t think we do ourselves any favours by constantly mocking and deriding these National and regional identities because that is what has led to the rising independence movements. 

The thing about national pride is that it should be a means, not an end. That is, one's desire to be proud of their nation should lead them to take an active role to better it - which should mechanically imply connecting with others and improving things for everyone. Conversely, if your national pride relies on the past (which, by definition, you were not a part of), then it's almost certainly misplaced, and possibly counter-productive as well.

National pride is about a sense of collective spirit and togetherness. The idea that no matter who someone is, what beliefs they have or where they are from, they can all come together and be British / ‘insert nationality’

If you don’t have that then it just means that everyone sub divides and goes and finds their own groups and identities and then everyone clashes. 

I think we’ve spent too long demonising national pride and a sense of national collective and its come home to roost. I don’t have any issue at all with promoting Britishness and giving people a sense of pride.

2 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Right, because nobody's career was ever squashed by their own poor choices or awful acts before a couple of years ago.

The left and the right, everyone, has been doing this forever, it's just the right whines about it more these days.

Look there have been about 300 threads on this already, so no point going over it again with the same old lazy reflex responses. 

A few years ago there was very little way to really dig deep into everything anyone ever said and did. Losing your job for some tweets you posted when you were a teenager wasn’t something any of us imagined could be a thing 20 years ago

Archived