UK Politics - I Protest

Which Tyler

I note the BBC did wait until a global pandemic and the greatest political and monarchical crisis in a generation before quietly renewing Mrs. Brown's Boys for (WTF) five years a few months back.

19 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Apparently humour is in the eye of the beholder or something?!  Clearly not true as Mrs Browns Boys can be scientifically proven to be shit.

Agreed.

Going back to the royals, at least Meghan Markle never got portrayed as a lesbian masochist, about to enter a sham marriage, unlike Kate Middleton in "Sherlock."

20 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Apparently humour is in the eye of the beholder or something?!  Clearly not true as Mrs Browns Boys can be scientifically proven to be shit.

And yet people still watch it, so someone must think it’s funny

My Mother in Law loves it.   

We even had to take her to the cinema to watch the film when it came out a few years ago.   I say we,  I mean Husband.  I persuaded my boss to make me change shift for that with very little notice.  Please don't ever tell my Husband I asked to change shift.

18 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I was just reading that the UK is making a massive hike in the corporate tax rate in order to help pay for Covid-19 expenses, up to 25% from 19%. 

That should be popular in the first year of Brexit.

You pay tax on profits. Who the fuck will be making a profit?

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

Agreed.

Going back to the royals, at least Meghan Markle never got portrayed as a lesbian masochist, about to enter a sham marriage, unlike Kate Middleton in "Sherlock."

Was never confirmed as Kate :p

11 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

You might be surprised. Certainly the US is surprising with profits. There are companies that made big money out of lockdowns.

Amazon have made s fortune. Not that they’ll pay tax on it. 

On 3/12/2021 at 5:25 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Sometimes as an organisation we really are on a hiding to nothing. Not allowing the vigil for Sarah Everard is absolutely the right thing to do in the current situation. But we are going to get fucking slated for it, if their court case is not successful. And if they do gather, and we dont ticket them, we are playing politics. 

Regardless of the rights or wrongs of allowing the protest, allowing this sort of thing to happen at a vigil for a victim of violence by a policeman is so dumb as to feel like deliberate provocation.

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

Not sure you should be asking for an organisation with as many right wing members as the police picking and choosing the laws we enforce. 

There have been multiple anti-lockdown protests, crowds of unmasked people screaming at medical staff outside hospitals (and in some cases barging inside and trying to film patients in COVID wards) and a rather large jolly in Scotland after a football competition where the police seemed very happy not to enforce restrictions in any way, whatsoever.

Granted the Met has not been responsible for policing at all of those events, but UK police in general have show they are willing to exercise judgement in which events to enforce lockdown regulations at and which to not based on other factors. Given that we are approaching the end of lockdown, the optics of the situation were quite blatantly going to look terrible and most of the protestors were masked, perhaps they should have erred on the side of not wading in with batons atwirling.

Archived