UK Politics - I Protest

Which Tyler

At some point, vaccine IP will have to be suspended, or waived, or licenced, or whatever it takes to manufacture enough doses for every single person on the planet.

Otherwise, what is the fucking point?

40 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I know you guys who have bristled at my comment are defending your country, but first of all you are missing the damn point. What incredible doublespeak BoJo engaged in! The UK government contracted for the entire supply being produced at the AZ plant for months, they didn’t have to pass a government order forbidding export of vaccine. The gall of Johnson not only saying the UK has never forbidden the export of vaccine, literally true but effectively false, but then to state he was strongly opposed to vaccine nationalism, was amazing. Locking up the production of the plant surely is a prime example of vaccine nationalism!

Meh, again, I think you're being a bit over the top. Not all production is the same. The UK government was onboard with the Oxford vaccine before Astrazenca. They probably could have insisted that the majority of it be produced in the UK for export and the UK would probably better off (and the world less well off because less would probably be being produced overall). The fact that it's being produced in a globally distributed manner that's supposed to try and mitigate vaccine nationalism and at cost is in part down to the UK government (maybe more Oxford University but still). The UK government also subsidised domestic production sites and of course it's going to want to see the benefit of that.

I'm far from an unreserved fan of Boris Johnson but I think the EU Commission is trying to pick a fight over this to try and cover for their own failures.

If a government signs a contract for a company to supply it with goods, then the company will face legal consequences if it fails to meet its commitments to the government.  That's really not the same thing as the government imposing a ban on the sale of such goods to other parties.

Ya know as a rule I try not to get too worked up on anything Boris says.  I don't have the energy to be constantly angry.

One of the main differences between Boris and Trump, Boris at least tries not to tell outright lies when he can technically tell half truths and imply the Lie and get the same result.

Boris is also playing to his base by pointing out how nasty, evil and unfair the EU is being, its all payback for us daring to leave.....  also blaming the EU is something that's been done for 40+years,  its a great distraction for the causes of the real issues we should be upset about.

Pointing out that Boris is hypercritical is like saying the Pope is Catholic.

31 minutes ago, SeanF said:

If a government signs a contract for a company to supply it with goods, then the company will face legal consequences if it fails to meet its commitments to the government.  

Funny. I was told the opposite regarding the school lunches with regards to the UK government.

4 hours ago, SeanF said:

If a government signs a contract for a company to supply it with goods, then the company will face legal consequences if it fails to meet its commitments to the government.  That's really not the same thing as the government imposing a ban on the sale of such goods to other parties.

It depends.  If the contract says you give us the first 50m doses, then its an effective ban.  

We don't know exactly how it is worded (although, the UK vaccine minister seemed to say it is like that today) but we do know that the UK has not exported AZ.

The UK isn't particularly wrong for having that contract.  AZ probably is wrong for not making it very clear to the EU that it was never going to be supplied from the UK (for a long time anyhow).  But we can give Germany more kudos for investing lots of money into Biontech but not getting special terms for itself!

It seems only the EU is critized for even thinking of reducing exports of EU produced vaccines. There was also yesterday quite an outcry in the british press when they thought that the reduced supply is caused by the EU. Now when its India its fine.

Sometimes I think the EU is the absolute bogeyman in the UK? Thats really hypocritical isnt it?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/18/uk-covid-vaccine-supply-hit-as-rise-in-indian-cases-diverts-doses-closer-to-home

"With caseloads rising, and demand for vaccinations growing at home, the Indian government has asked the Serum Institute to keep more supply at home, and send less to the UK for now, a source authorised to speak for the manufacturer told the Guardian."

"In blunt terms, those aged under 50 in a country that has already given doses to nearly 40% of its population are less of a priority than the institute’s commitments to Indians, just 2.7% of whom have received a jab"

7 hours ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

I wonder what all the people who are content with the UK not exporting any vaccines would think if the EU had blocked the 10 million Pfizer doses the UK received so far.

The fact that the Commission already (however briefly) previously blocked vaccine exports from RoI to NI without consulting anyone and pissed on an international agreement in the process notwithstanding, it would be frustrating and immoral, sure. I honestly don’t think it would have been that unreasonable for them to do so though (NI protocol aside), given the world we live in.

Sorry, that usually embeds... erm...

Just having a look at the numbers...
Really shows how low the flu season has been this year - due to lockdown and social distancing.
Take out covid, and there's been next to no winter surge. Take out covid, and 9 weeks worth of 2021 has seen 52,266 fewer deaths than the 5-year average.

Graphs here: https://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/covid-19-general-discussion.46206/page-158#post-1028087

YOU SEE? NO FLU PROVES THE WHOLE COVID HOAX IS A LEFT WING PLOT BY BILL GATES AND CHINA AND ZEBEDEE FROM THE MAGIC ROUNDABOUT SO THAT THEY CAN CONTROL OUR PANCAKES AND REPROGRAM OUR CHILDRENS' BEPIS.

39 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

YOU SEE? NO FLU PROVES THE WHOLE COVID HOAX IS A LEFT WING PLOT BY BILL GATES AND CHINA AND ZEBEDEE FROM THE MAGIC ROUNDABOUT SO THAT THEY CAN CONTROL OUR PANCAKES AND REPROGRAM OUR CHILDRENS' BEPIS.

But people who break their legs are being reported as having Covid!!! #dontbelievethelies #governmentcontrol #thetruthisoutthere

A West Midlands probationary officer walked free from court despite admitting attacking a lone woman as she walked home from a night out.

His lawyer asked for him not to be made to do community service because it would be “difficult” working with criminals. Instead the judge placed him on a 7pm-7am curfew for the next 14 weeks and ordered him to pay Miss Homer £500 compensation.

Oh, would it be "difficult"? Poor diddums. I hope the judge gave him some warm coco as well.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

A West Midlands probationary officer walked free from court despite admitting attacking a lone woman as she walked home from a night out.

Oh, would it be "difficult"? Poor diddums. I hope the judge gave him some warm coco as well.

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

14 weeks?! So it comes to an end right around June 21st, that rings a bell...

Hopefully he is no longer a probationary officer, or an officer of any kind, in the police?

Archived