Covid-19 #27: A Handful of Stars, A Fistful of Dollars

Fragile Bird

4 hours ago, Padraig said:

Does that mean I can put "influencer" on my MySpace profile now?

9 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

It's all very well saying you would have the vaccination if offered, but actions speak louder than words, so a public vaccination by some key govt officials is needed to try to re-establish confidence.

This. We need to see them with exposing to their armpits and getting the vaccine into their arms. No Pfizer in a special facility with dedicated personnel. AZ at the vaccination center on front of everybody.

I don't know why it isn't happening. Angela Merkel seems to dodging the calls to get the vaccine.

1 hour ago, rotting sea cow said:

This. We need to see them with exposing to their armpits and getting the vaccine into their arms. No Pfizer in a special facility with dedicated personnel. AZ at the vaccination center on front of everybody.

I don't know why it isn't happening. Angela Merkel seems to dodging the calls to get the vaccine.

Angela Merkel is in her sixties. We are not vaccinating in this group yet (still over 70 year old , some states even only over 80 year old)

14 minutes ago, JoannaL said:

Angela Merkel is in her sixties. We are not vaccinating in this group yet (still over 70 year old , some states even only over 80 year old)

Yeah, if you want to advertise vaccination then you'd have to find some celebrities who are actually eligible. Getting Merkel vaccinated in front of a TV camera now would only start a debate about privileges for politicians. That's not going to happen half a year before the next election.  

1 hour ago, Loge said:

Yeah, if you want to advertise vaccination then you'd have to find some celebrities who are actually eligible. Getting Merkel vaccinated in front of a TV camera now would only start a debate about privileges for politicians. That's not going to happen half a year before the next election.  

I agree with you and JoannaL on this. I just read that the head of state of my federal state (Baden-Württemberg) Winfried Kretschmann gets his first shot today and he announced that he wants to get vaccinated with AZ. As  he is eligible with 72  (and newly reelected) I think this is a good example.

1 hour ago, JoannaL said:

Well you could argue they are essential workers and they cannot fulfill their obligations to the people if they fall ill.

Maybe I'm too harsh with politicians, they are humans too, but I'd love to see a vaccination unit sent by surprise to the Bundestag and line the PMs to get their shot.

Poland had it's own vaccine-gate when they offered the vaccine to older actors (but not old enough to qualify for the shots) in order to promote vaccinations. People were furious. But it did have the (un??)intended effect of convincing people that they do actually want to get vaccinated :p

What, is it only the British who have dozens of eminent actors and celebrities in their 80s?

Last week we finally had the oldest person in Canada get her vaccine, at the age of 114. And a few weeks ago, the retired mayor of a major city in Ontario, got her vaccine. Hazel McCallion, fondly known as “Hurricane Hazel”, retired as mayor of Mississauga 6 years ago, at the age of 94. She’s now a special advisor to the current provincial government. She can still run rings around some present office holders.

It would be political suicide for a politician to jump the queue and get vaccinated here in Canada. There are very few 80 year olds in office, and not that many over the age of 70, but few provinces are vaccinating 70-year olds yet. 

2 hours ago, Leap said:

This is an easy answer as far as I'm concerned. Politicians are clearly essential workers. We can probably debate all day long about who exactly should be on the essential workers list/who should be prioritised above all else, but it seems pretty self-evident to me that the country's leadership and decision makers are very much on that list. Imagine the shitshow if a significant portion of the legislature or Government got sick and/or died simultaneously. Those are the people in charge of organising the response to the pandemic... how is this not obvious!

I don't think it takes much imagination, we just have to remember the chaos engulfing the UK government at the end of last March when most of the senior members managed to catch Covid. I'm sure that didn't help the response, although I'm also not sure the effectiveness of the response got much better once they recovered.

16 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I don't think it takes much imagination, we just have to remember the chaos engulfing the UK government at the end of last March when most of the senior members managed to catch Covid. I'm sure that didn't help the response, although I'm also not sure the effectiveness of the response got much better once they recovered.

I dunno,  I felt that the government took Covid more seriously after they all got infected than before.  I Don't think the PM has boasted about shaking hands with everyone when visiting a COVID ward since he got better.

Craziness: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/mar/19/doctors-suggest-link-between-covid-19-and-diabetes

A cohort of scientists from across the world believe that there is a growing body of evidence that Covid-19 can cause diabetes in some patients.

Prof Francesco Rubino, from King’s College London, is leading the call for a full investigation into a possible link between the two diseases. Having seen a rise in both type 1 and type 2 diabetes in people who have caught coronavirus, some doctors are even considering the possibility that the virus ‒ by disrupting sugar metabolism ‒ could be inducing an entirely new form of diabetes.

Although, there has been evidence in the past that some form of viruses can trigger type I diabetes (in that sense I'd quibble with the headline a bit because 'cause' is a loaded term when it comes to scientific hypotheses), so this isnt totally left-field.

I already have diabeetus so at least that's one thing I dont have to worry about regarding COVID.

Both the governor of NY and the mayor of NYC (and his even more unpopular wife) got publicly vaccinated this week.  Not that this means anything, really, probably, other than they waited until other NYers have started to get appointments and shots.

Gotta say how frackin' infuriating it is to have these political types across the country praise themselves for opening eligibility to ever more groups of people -- when there is no vaccine supply and / or it's nearly impossible to schedule a vaccination appointment via their failures of website finders and scheduling boards.

And especially here in NY where the gov's tied in to this enormous for profit, though it is not billed that way, conglomerate that governs all 'public health' facilities and has for decades, and is shutting down as many hospitals that serve the underserved and under / uninsured and poor as they can -- as cost cutting -- doing it even while we're surging with new infections and hospitalizations and All the Variants that evidently are more more contagious have arrived here -- and they open up Everything from gyms to schools to churches to restaurants to movie theaters.

I’m just seeing brief reports now that two different sets of researchers believe they have found a link between the AZ vaccine and the blood clots, that the vaccine creates a rare immune response in some people causing the clots.

Stories should be on the internet soon.

Presumably the same kind of response is seen in the Pfizer vaccine as well, if blood clots after vaccination have occurred with that vaccine too.

Are these Norwegian reports?

Science magazine reported on a similar story even before the EMA made its ruling yesterday.

I don't think it is especially worrying.  The regulators studied these cases when AZ was suspended.  They couldn't rule out AZ being a cause but the incidence rate was very low (except from Norway's perspective).  You have a far higher possibility of dying from COVID.  So they have added an official warning about these possible side effects, so doctors will definitely be aware of the issue.  I believe it is treatable if people heed the symptoms.

Investigations will continue.  I know Norway hopes to have an update next week.  Researchers there seem to be convinced that AZ is to blame.  But the question becomes why?  Millions can have this vaccine and have no issues.  Why these few?

Edited:  I should add.  France have taken a novel approach.  Given that all the most serious blood clotting incidents were on people younger than 50, they have decided to give AZ to those that are over 55 only.  Admittedly, I doubt they were vaccinating many people under 55, so it doesn't make much of a difference.  They should know more in the coming weeks.

I think with this small number of possibly linked clotting cases, it’s kind of silly the panic I’ve seen. Hormonal birth control causes a much much higher incidence of blood clots than we’re talking about and that’s just part of what you gotta weigh against the benefits. Seems like just a risk warning and further study will do

As someone who has an actually diagnosed auto immune blood clotting disorder, I would personally be much more worried about COVID causing my immune system to go haywire and throwing off a clot than the vaccine.  Mind you, I’m ALREADY monitored for clotting and know I’m higher risk, so maybe it’s easy for me to say (the fear would be for someone who has this and DOESN’T know - I know only by a fluke).

20 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

As someone who has an actually diagnosed auto immune blood clotting disorder, I would personally be much more worried about COVID causing my immune system to go haywire and throwing off a clot than the vaccine.  Mind you, I’m ALREADY monitored for clotting and know I’m higher risk, so maybe it’s easy for me to say (the fear would be for someone who has this and DOESN’T know - I know only by a fluke).

Same. And I had this particular vaccine. Would much rather risk the clot, just like I do with the birth control. This reminds me a lot about the male contraception pill that had way fewer side effects than the ones for women but men cried about it too much so they didn’t pursue it

3 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

Same. And I had this particular vaccine. Would much rather risk the clot, just like I do with the birth control. This reminds me a lot about the male contraception pill that had way fewer side effects than the ones for women but men cried about it too much so they didn’t pursue it

I am actually curious if there ends up being any tie to the various auto-immune factors connected to the family of disorders that lead to Lupus/Sjogrens/Rheumatoid Arthritis (e.g., anti-Ro/anti-La antibodies).  My layperson understanding (I have less than zero medical training) is that this can also go along with APS (anti-phospholipid syndrome).....These disorders, though rare, tend to be more common in women..... 

51 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

I am actually curious if there ends up being any tie to the various auto-immune factors connected to the family of disorders that lead to Lupus/Sjogrens/Rheumatoid Arthritis (e.g., anti-Ro/anti-La antibodies).  My layperson understanding (I have less than zero medical training) is that this can also go along with APS (anti-phospholipid syndrome).....These disorders, though rare, tend to be more common in women..... 

It’s really frustrating how much science remains to be done in this area. And in our pets’ health. I demand all the science now!

Archived