Video Games - Legendary Edition

Rhom

The other thread isn't locked yet, but at 24 pages I figure it isn't long for this world...

So anyways; picking up where we left off:

Surviving Mars is free on the Epic Store.

TMNT arcade game was awesome.

Valheim is both really cool sounding and more than I even know where to begin with all the talk of private servers and such.

Discuss.

I always played Leonardo in the TMNT games. 

Metro 2033 is free on Steam, with the Redux edition of it and Last Light at a steep discount. Ditto for the latest game, Exodus, being 66% off.

3 hours ago, Ran said:

I always played Leonardo in the TMNT games. 

Metro 2033 is free on Steam, with the Redux edition of it and Last Light at a steep discount. Ditto for the latest game, Exodus, being 66% off.

I was a Donatello guy.

@Poobah

Yeah I gave up on Path of Exile when it became increasingly clear that the game's designed was not moving in a direction that allowed someone like me to just have fun. Sounds like they accidentally changed it in a way that would have made it enjoyable for me to gotta get rid of that right away. I'm a little curious about your comments on the PoE reddit - I do agree that it tends towards very elitist, but in this case appear to be showing some very anti-elitist and sane sentiments by downvoting the shit out of this announcement and most of the comments I see are talking about what a terrible idea it is to make the game less fun and accessible.

It's been my main game for like seven years now. Skipped a few leagues and have generally played less and less, but I still hang out on POE streams, read the toxic-as-hell reddit, and keep up with it. I've spent more money on MTXs in that game than I care to admit. I don't want to quit it, but I just hate how insanely fast it is now, and like you said, the top-tier gamers are so, so far above casual ones that the market inevitably changes. This last league saw enormous power creep, and I have three absolute bad-ass characters. But I'll most certainly skip the next league or two, as other things are more interesting. I think that GGG's vision of the game, while similar to my own, is vastly different than what the majority of the player base want. 

Frankly, the ARPG world needs fresh blood. I'm currently in a Diablo 2 mod server queue. That a 20 year old game is the most compelling ARPG content right now means the market sucks.

5 minutes ago, Argonath Diver said:

@Poobah

It's been my main game for like seven years now. Skipped a few leagues and have generally played less and less, but I still hang out on POE streams, read the toxic-as-hell reddit, and keep up with it. I've spent more money on MTXs in that game than I care to admit. I don't want to quit it, but I just hate how insanely fast it is now, and like you said, the top-tier gamers are so, so far above casual ones that the market inevitably changes. This last league saw enormous power creep, and I have three absolute bad-ass characters. But I'll most certainly skip the next league or two, as other things are more interesting. I think that GGG's vision of the game, while similar to my own, is vastly different than what the majority of the player base want. 

Frankly, the ARPG world needs fresh blood. I'm currently in a Diablo 2 mod server queue. That a 20 year old game is the most compelling ARPG content right now means the market sucks.

Mm yeah the last time I seriously played was uh... Betrayal a few years ago. I did manage to get my first and only level 100 during that league though which was fun and really hammered home the lesson for me that I think the people at GGG utterly fail to understand: when I get good things and get to be powerful I play more. I think they believe the opposite to be true and are deathly afraid of too many of their players actually winning the loot lottery as it were and getting to access and enjoy endgame content.

And yeah I totally agree with not liking how fast the game has gotten. The game's so driven by economics because everything is so unobtainable for solo players, everyone is grinding away playing like a job to afford to buy an upgrade, gotta go fast, be efficient or you're wasting time, and time is money! That kinda thinking is really what drives me away from a game and destroys my fun. I hate not being able to just enjoy the gameplay. Also the efficiency and speed focus really strongly detracts from actually having a fun multiplayer experience, aside from how shittily the game performs when you have a bunch of people doing all their gotta go fast things it just ends up feeling like an exhausting race with no time to do anything except push for the end of the map.

I'm still on Hollow Knight. I must be half way through so far. I like the game until enemies catch you out suddenly and you are back to the last save point. The way you can lose all your geo is really cruel.

But I lose the game when my ps plus ends in May so I have to get it done as I don't want to pay for it.

Alright... on this Mars game.  I don’t remember who used to write up page long diatribes, but I hereby summon your wisdom.

I played through the tutorial and picked up the basics.  Then started up my first game with the International thing for the Very Easy difficulty.  Was tempted to just go all patriotic and U-S-A! U-S-A!!! The red planet, but wanted an easier curve.

So here’s my problem.  After starting and restarting a couple times, I got what I felt was a good initial layout.  Built the prefab dome and had it ready for people.  Alright, let’s call for the rocket ship with colonists!

Except, I only had 20/50 fuel units... and the fuel refinery is only available with a prefab that didn’t come with my shipment?!!?  So WTF do I do here?  Just wait forever for the ship to fill ‘er up on its own???  Or restart the whole thing and pay closer attention to what gets loaded on and mark it down for a fuel refinery???

I’ve started playing Dark Souls, which I’d never touched before. It’s... hardcore. Very rewarding, but very hard. I’m not very far in; this evening I found the blacksmith in Undead Parish, then I wandered into the Darkroot Garden and got eaten by a tree.

I’ve turned off the online features. I like the little notes left by people, but the ghosts(?) of other players popping up at random is annoying as shit. Not sure if I’ll regret this in the long term.

The game world really does sprawl, and it’s quite intimidating, but that’s the point I think.

6 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

The housebuilding DLC in Skyrim is objectively not amazing; it's pretty basic and constrains you a lot in what you can do. But somehow every time I replay Skyrim (including right now) building houses takes up all my life.

Hearthfire really does feel like a poorly thought-out DLC.

4 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

I’ve turned off the online features. I like the little notes left by people, but the ghosts(?) of other players popping up at random is annoying as shit. Not sure if I’ll regret this in the long term.

Unless you really like PvP you will not regret this long term. 99% of my interactions with other players were them griefing me.

Of course you could also summon other players to help with more difficult bosses. But I always considered that kinda cheating.

12 hours ago, IlyaP said:

It feels like a germ of an idea that they fully developed in Fallout 4. I can't imagine that a more elaborate form of settlement-building won't be part of Elder Scrolls VI.

Okay, I spent far too much time yesterday playing My Time at Portia yesterday when my internet connection decided to die thanks to a storm outside. I've now started my fourth week in the game.

I constructed the bridge to a nearby island which I then completely ignored and preferred to focus on expanding my workshop. It's a bit silly that the new blueprints you get are totally randomized and I can't construct any of them because my assembly station is too low-level and I can't do that because upgrading it is horrifically expensive (10.000 gold when your commissions are usually netting you 250 gold each). It was already troublesome enough to upgrade my workbench for 5.000 gold in order to get access to assembling a better fishing rod, iron tools and weapons and metal storages.

Oh yes, storages! I'm a goddamn hoarder! Well, I guess that comes with the genre. I have an ever-growing pile of storage boxes in my yard which I have started to name and categorize the items with. I guess I would have a LOT more money on my hands if I bothered to sell all that junk instead instead of sitting on it like a crazy person, but it's so anxious inducing that you never know what may come in handy one day. So far I only ever ended up selling tools I got a dupe of or worthless weapons that do a fraction of the damage your trusty axe does which you have to always carry around anyway. And even that is problematic due to some commissions consisting of characters asking you to make them a fishing rod.

One last thing: The most frustrating thing to create so far is hands down clothes. There are obvious sources where you can get all resources of the game in copious amounts from, but then come in the basic fabrics which all need a horrific amount of... cocoons? Like... from butterflies? And the only way to get them is as a random drop from kicking very rare large trees and you are limited to a certain amount of kicks per tree every day. Meaning if you accept a clothing commission, you will spend the day running around the countryside and kicking trees like a lunatic, cursing every time you realize that you still have nowhere near the amount of cocoons needed. Why can't these people wear cotton clothes like normal people? Especially since growing cotton is super easy and nets you a large amount of produce.

13 hours ago, IlyaP said:

It seemed like an amazing idea, but in reality was quite a let down. Wow you can build your own house.. but only in a set location! Wow you can customise your own house.. sort of, actually you just add furniture which is either on or off, no real customisation! Wow I can add chickens and fish and get some eggs... er...??

As usual, modders have this covered for Skyrim: Constructible Shacks, Tundra Defense, etc. I think the settlement building team at Bethesda were actually inspired by some of these mods for the feature in Fallout 4 (which nearly got cut six months before release, which would have been a bad idea).

Bethesda: Letting Other People Finish Their Games Since 2006!

14 hours ago, Rhom said:

Alright... on this Mars game.  I don’t remember who used to write up page long diatribes, but I hereby summon your wisdom.

I played through the tutorial and picked up the basics.  Then started up my first game with the International thing for the Very Easy difficulty.  Was tempted to just go all patriotic and U-S-A! U-S-A!!! The red planet, but wanted an easier curve.

So here’s my problem.  After starting and restarting a couple times, I got what I felt was a good initial layout.  Built the prefab dome and had it ready for people.  Alright, let’s call for the rocket ship with colonists!

Except, I only had 20/50 fuel units... and the fuel refinery is only available with a prefab that didn’t come with my shipment?!!?  So WTF do I do here?  Just wait forever for the ship to fill ‘er up on its own???  Or restart the whole thing and pay closer attention to what gets loaded on and mark it down for a fuel refinery???

I think I was the guy you are talking about, what with my penchant for "diatribes".

And honestly... I have not really a clue given that it was years ago I played it. I only remember that at the beginning you need to step slowly and carefully to not run into a brick wall. Before you get people to Mars you must have all basic resources except metal covered on Mars, otherwise you will inevitably run into some problems. That of course includes the fuel refinery which is a must-have right at the beginning especially for factions which start with only two or even just one rocket. Heck, the Drone Hub and the fuel refinery are the only prefabs you actually need.

I really hope the UI for settlement building in Elder Scrolls VI is better than Fallout 4. Based on my reaction to Hearthfire and how much I got into it despite it not being good, I thought I'd spend so much time on Fallout's settlements. But it was such an annoying hassle and just not fun, imo.

I am alone in hoping they don't include settlement building in ES6 at all?

If I want to play a building game I'll play minecraft or the like. I don't want to be railroaded into a crappy building game in a fantasy RPG. I really wish they'd just focus on what made their games worth playing in the first place. I really didn't enjoy Fallout 4 at all.

I largely enjoyed Fallout 4, though it was shallow. The settlement building part was so fucking tedious though. No thank you.

Thankfully, it wasn’t essential and I just largely ignored that part of the game. I really hope they don’t force it on you in TES 6. I think it will inevitably be in the game to some extent.

I think the settlement building was key to making FO4 work and being different as an open-world game. It gave you something to do with all the junk you picked up in your travels rather than just trying to sell it, and it gave you the ability to impact the open world in a really big way. Having new settlements filled with people and defences, setting up heavily-armed caravans constantly rotating around the map and then getting (when you finish the game) checkpoints with your favoured faction keeping an eye on everything meant that your character had some kind of measurable impact on the world beyond just doing quests and killing random monsters (only for them to respawn 14 in-game days later).

It was a genius idea they didn't really flesh out enough, and the interface was not ideal. They needed to have some kind of zoomed-out, overhead view allowing you to move things around more naturally and it would do a better job of adjusting walls and floors to where they needed to be.

They also needed the DLC materials in the base game. Being only able to build shitty-looking shacks or bare concrete blocks was awful, but being able to build cool, advanced-looking buildings thanks to the automatron and Vault DLC was much better.

I think settlement building will be in both Starfield and Fallout 5 (Starfield's leaked images seem to show a character building a hab unit on the surface of an airless moon). Elder Scrolls VI I'm not entirely sure about. You'll probably be able to build your own house again but I'm more doubtful if they'll go that far with it. They handwave it a lot, but in an SF setting (even a post-apocalyptic one), being able to build prefab units does make sense, but in a medieval fantasy it feels a bit more random.

In any case, I'm sure it will be like 95% optional as before.

Archived