Video Games - Legendary Edition

Rhom

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yes, the original GTA, where your car crashes and/or blows up constantly and at times you can't even see what you're doing. A step-brother and I bought it after playing GTA3 when we were in HS and I think we quit the game after a few hours. It felt impossible to do anything, and like you said, you couldn't save so even when you did something right you'd die a few minutes later and have to try it all over again. 

It is playable but you have to be very slow, methodical and tactical which is completely at odds with the frantic insanity the game sells itself as being.

It is hilarious to look at it now and think it resulted in questions being raised in the British Parliament over video game violence and the developers had to go on a BBC news programme to be criticised for selling violence for children and them pointing out the game was aimed at adults. I still remember the news reporter looking absolutely flummoxed. "Wait, you mean adults play video games?" That felt a bit of a stupid thing to say even in 1997.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

It is playable but you have to be very slow, methodical and tactical which is completely at odds with the frantic insanity the game sells itself as being.

It is hilarious to look at it now and think it resulted in questions being raised in the British Parliament over video game violence and the developers had to go on a BBC news programme to be criticised for selling violence for children and them pointing out the game was aimed at adults. I still remember the news reporter looking absolutely flummoxed. "Wait, you mean adults play video games?" That felt a bit of a stupid thing to say even in 1997.

I don't think we ever got to the real violence. IIRC there's a mission fairly early on in which you have to steal a firetruck, and that always screwed us up because part of the mission required you to drive around in some kind of warehouse type building, except you couldn't actually see what you were doing. 

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I want to say a few hours into the game there's some kind of mission where you're sneaking around in a dark area, it's been a while, and even when I dropped the game to easy mode before I'd always have one random thing creep up on me and attack, blowing the mission. I just remember taking the game out after failing several times and told myself I'd get back to it in a couple days, but never did.

My guess is you're talking about the part in the building downtown, when you're with Tess and Ellie but they have you drop down a floor by yourself to deal with something like a Clicker and 4 Runners?  You start in a hallway and there's a big room to one side (that you can enter from a couple of spots) and a smaller room with a desk on the other side. 

Think its probably your first fight against more than a couple of zombies at one time, if I remember correctly.

Is that right, or is it somewhere else?

53 minutes ago, Whiskeyjack said:

My guess is you're talking about the part in the building downtown, when you're with Tess and Ellie but they have you drop down a floor by yourself to deal with something like a Clicker and 4 Runners?  You start in a hallway and there's a big room to one side (that you can enter from a couple of spots) and a smaller room with a desk on the other side. 

Think its probably your first fight against more than a couple of zombies at one time, if I remember correctly.

Is that right, or is it somewhere else?

I'm going to make lunch, shower, do some yoga and cardio stuff, then maybe read and study for a bit, but at some point in that section of events I'll game for like an hour or two and let you know. I just remember it was hard as hell even on easy mode, and it didn't help that I just got back into gaming at the time and the mechanics of RDR2 are nothing like TLoU.

33 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I got Assassin's Creed Odyssey because it was on sale on I really like the mechanics so far especially the climbing and the bird you can use for scouting. 

I never played an Assassin's Creed game before. 

I killed a shark while swimming with an axe... Lol

Odyssey has by far the best gameplay in the series.  It's not nearly as clunky as it is in every other entry.

Note: Did not play Origins.  

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Ironically, I have heard that Odyssey's gameplay is the exact same of Origins.

Come to think of it, one of these days I really need to get back to it. I still hadn't managed to leave Alexandria...

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Odyssey has by far the best gameplay in the series.  It's not nearly as clunky as it is in every other entry.

The climbing surprised me a bit. I guess I should have expected it but after Zelda I kind miss the ability to climb in other RPGs.

I was really adult about it too.

https://ibb.co/vHxCDxt 

https://ibb.co/8BD0XNb
https://ibb.co/x7QC2YQ

20 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

The climbing surprised me a bit. I guess I should have expected it but after Zelda I kind miss the ability to climb in other RPGs.

I was really adult about it too.

https://ibb.co/vHxCDxt 

https://ibb.co/8BD0XNb
https://ibb.co/x7QC2YQ

IMO, you haven't truly played Assassins Creed Odyssey if you haven't taken a screenshot hanging off a dong.

This is making me want to get back into Odyssey (mainly to climb dongs, of course). I loved it for about thirty hours and then felt overwhelmed by how huge it was an how repetitive it could be. But I think now it's been about two years since I last played it and I can finally at least finish the main story.

6 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

This is making me want to get back into Odyssey (mainly to climb dongs, of course). I loved it for about thirty hours and then felt overwhelmed by how huge it was an how repetitive it could be. But I think now it's been about two years since I last played it and I can finally at least finish the main story.

That sounds suspiciously like my own experience. Are you one of my personas run amok again? According to the Treaty of Terrorkai you have to tell me if you are!

6 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

...Fine. You've all convinced me to install this game, even though none of the previous games have ever really spoken to me as a gamer.

Haven't even tried one of the Assassin's Creed games. 

Was just playing a game of Stellaris, noticed that the dickheads who decided to rival me have about 30 systems, but no colonies outside of their home system.  I suspect the AI is just crap when playing the Void-born origin (or whatever it's called, the habitat one).  So I claimed as many systems as I could, paid the mauraders to go sack them and made them a vassal.  Will integrate them ASAP.  Their picture is the one that basically looks like a Sathar, which always sort of gives me the willies from back in my time with the PGC.

Also, if you've sunk more than a 100 hours or so into Stellaris, let me recommend you check out xenonion.com.  The current ad at the bottom of the page is for Federations: The Art of Intimacy, complete with a 5 star recommendation from PlayBorg.  These guys are all in.  

As y'all have been making such great compliments about 3kingdoms I loaded it up. One abandoned campaign and I see why y'all say it's the best one in forever.

It's tight as shit. But can anyone tell me what post-battle loot is? I am playing as Zheng Jiang, the Bandit Queen. And after I win battles or sometimes sack a city I have the opportunity to accumulate loot. But I don't know what that is or how to measure it. 

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I am very tempted to buy one given how much I enjoyed GoT. But not until I beat TLoU.

I’m trying to remember, did you ever play Horizon: Zero Dawn?  Gameplay is very similar to GoT but with giant mechanical beasts.  You’d probably like it.

Archived