Video Games - Legendary Edition

Rhom

Hit a (mostly) gamebreaking bug in Disco Elysium: Final Cut. There's a certain white check at the church that freezes the game every time I pass it, and looking it up online it seems a pretty common issue. I can likely get to the point-of-no-return without finishing the church plot; but, considering its the single best part of the game, I have no interest in doing that. So I guess I'm putting this aside until it gets patched.

Meanwhile, still playing Outriders a bit each day. I've had issues every time I try playing co-op, so I'm sticking to solo now. I am enjoying the game. The problem is that there is no variation in the gameplay at all, so it gets dull pretty quickly if I play more than an hour or so at a time.

So, in the interest of finding a new, I've gone back to the Trails of Cold Steel series. I played the first one about 4 years ago, and then moved to the second one; but I dropped it about 18 hours (going straight from the first to second game was a mistake, I should've taken a break). I remember the first game pretty well, but for some reason remember almost none of what I played in the second game. So I've restarted the second game and am having a decent time; it's certainly a JRPG. No way will I make the same mistake as before and go straight to the third game after I beat the second (assuming I d0); but presumably I will eventually.

Y'all accidentally made me buy Horizon Zero Dawn. You all talked it up and then it came up on sale on Steam this morning. I'll take a chance on it for $12. I have no time to play it, so it'll sit in my library for ages. Then, like BotW, I will fire it up one day and binge it for three weeks.

Probably.

I'm just saying, late to the party, that BotW is fantastic.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Hit a (mostly) gamebreaking bug in Disco Elysium: Final Cut. There's a certain white check at the church that freezes the game every time I pass it, and looking it up online it seems a pretty common issue. I can likely get to the point-of-no-return without finishing the church plot; but, considering its the single best part of the game, I have no interest in doing that. So I guess I'm putting this aside until it gets patched.

Meanwhile, still playing Outriders a bit each day. I've had issues every time I try playing co-op, so I'm sticking to solo now. I am enjoying the game. The problem is that there is no variation in the gameplay at all, so it gets dull pretty quickly if I play more than an hour or so at a time.

So, in the interest of finding a new, I've gone back to the Trails of Cold Steel series. I played the first one about 4 years ago, and then moved to the second one; but I dropped it about 18 hours (going straight from the first to second game was a mistake, I should've taken a break). I remember the first game pretty well, but for some reason remember almost none of what I played in the second game. So I've restarted the second game and am having a decent time; it's certainly a JRPG. No way will I make the same mistake as before and go straight to the third game after I beat the second (assuming I d0); but presumably I will eventually.

Have you ever played Trails in the Sky?  I played them for the first time last year.  They start slow, but rapidly moved into my top tier of JRPGs.  I have the Cold Steel series on my PC, but I am waiting for the fan translation of Trails to Azure.  (The Crossbell duology was never officially localized.). Then I will go on to CS.

On 4/10/2021 at 1:24 PM, Werthead said:

Wow. Age of Empires IV looks poor.

Bearing in mind they've been working on this for over four years, the graphics are atrocious for a 2021 release. It looks like a mobile game rather than a high-budget PC release from Relic (who have previously been famous for graphical powerhouse games like Homeworld and Company of Heroes).

Some of the faction ideas, like factions being completely different to one another, are bold but have promise, but the conservative nature of the game - revisiting previous time periods rather than pushing forwards - and the weak graphics are not filling me with confidence, and the release date (this autumn) does not leave time for improvements.

Maybe they're under orders from Microsoft to keep the system requirements as low as possible? Strategy gamers are less likely to be playing on a latest gaming PC, and I'm guessing they did a hardware survey for AoE II players (their planned core player base).

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

Have you ever played Trails in the Sky?  I played them for the first time last year.  They start slow, but rapidly moved into my top tier of JRPGs.  I have the Cold Steel series on my PC, but I am waiting for the fan translation of Trails to Azure.  (The Crossbell duology was never officially localized.). Then I will go on to CS.

I played half of the first one, it was just too slow-moving for me. I know most people will say you should play all the games in order, including getting ahold of the Crossbell games however you can; but I had no problem jumping straight into the first Cold Steel game. There were only a handful of times where I could tell I was missing a reference, and it was always so small that never diminished by enjoyment.

29 minutes ago, Fez said:

I played half of the first one, it was just too slow-moving for me. I know most people will say you should play all the games in order, including getting ahold of the Crossbell games however you can; but I had no problem jumping straight into the first Cold Steel game. There were only a handful of times where I could tell I was missing a reference, and it was always so small that never diminished by enjoyment.

Slow moving is maybe a generous description. :lol:  But they really are worth a go if you enjoy the series.

What they do with Renne in the course of the trilogy and then Zero is an emotional roller coaster.

On 4/11/2021 at 10:48 PM, Lightning Lord said:

Y'all accidentally made me buy Horizon Zero Dawn. You all talked it up and then it came up on sale on Steam this morning. I'll take a chance on it for $12. I have no time to play it, so it'll sit in my library for ages. Then, like BotW, I will fire it up one day and binge it for three weeks.

Probably.

I'm just saying, late to the party, that BotW is fantastic.

BOTW is so good. I wish I could go back in time and re-experience it fresh again. But it's a game I've been able to replay a few times.

Apparently I missed a really good Horizon sale though... Damn, $12? Hopefully it goes on sale again this summer.

3 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

BOTW is so good. I wish I could go back in time and re-experience it fresh again. But it's a game I've been able to replay a few times.

Apparently I missed a really good Horizon sale though... Damn, $12? Hopefully it goes on sale again this summer.

Any thoughts on the DLC for Breath of the Wild? I am not near completing the main game but noticed the DLC existed. It doesn't look like it adds much story or world-wise. Just some more challenges and shrines? If so, probably give it a miss...

And you likely didn't miss as big a sale as it seems. I generally get lower prices because of my region (SE Asia). Steam offers better deals here than in North America or Europe (my understanding).

53 minutes ago, Lightning Lord said:

Any thoughts on the DLC for Breath of the Wild? I am not near completing the main game but noticed the DLC existed. It doesn't look like it adds much story or world-wise. Just some more challenges and shrines? If so, probably give it a miss...

And you likely didn't miss as big a sale as it seems. I generally get lower prices because of my region (SE Asia). Steam offers better deals here than in North America or Europe (my understanding).

I beat BoTW on a Wii U I borrowed from my niece and never revisited it, but my understanding is the DLC adds a motorcycle.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I beat BoTW on a Wii U I borrowed from my niece and never revisited it, but my understanding is the DLC adds a motorcycle.

Huh. There's some tech stuff in there, yeah...but motorcycles? C'mon. Well that saves me twenty bucks. Thanks :)

Loved BotW, haven’t been tempted by the DLCs.

I did get HZD in the sale based on the recommendations here, but may not play it for a while.

I’m still playing Dark Souls, which I love, but it’s not very accessible. I’m trying to avoid using the wiki, but it’s hard when I’ve only found one green titanite shard and I don’t know which blacksmith to use it at.

Subnautica Below Zero is being fully released next month! I bought it in early access because I love the first game but haven’t wanted to play it unfinished.

7 hours ago, Lightning Lord said:

I liked the DLCs. The first is pretty simple; it adds a bunch of Master Sword trials which are pretty challenging and require a lot of creativity to beat, since like the island, you have your equipment taken away. I found it fun, but yes, it's just challenges.

The second is more interesting. It adds quests based around the four champions. That does mean more shrines, but also cutscenes, overworld puzzles, and it culminates in a final Divine Beast dungeon, by far the best of the game. It also has a terrific boss fight.

Then there are a bunch of other goodies, like new armour, a map mode that lets you see where you've explored, a saddle that lets you call your horse wherever you are, and yes, the motorcycle once you've beaten the divine beast. To me, the DLC was more than worth it, but as you can tell, I really like BOTW!

16 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

Not on PC obviously but if you have PS Plus Horizon complete edition is free starting the 17th I believe

Days Gone has gone up for PC pre-order for £40, which is about two-thirds the cost of a brand new game. I think the pricing is comparable for Horizon: Zero Dawn last year.

What was the feeling on Days Gone? I get the impression it's a Ubisoft-style open-world action game, perfectly okay but nothing outstanding.

I started a new game of Stellaris with the new DLC/patch. I don't know if they fixed the terrible AI or not yet. But I like that galaxy is more mysterious now. You don't learn the total borders of a civilization just because you spoke to them. I have no idea if these aliens I've got border friction with are a  huge empire or a tiny one. 

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

I started a new game of Stellaris with the new DLC/patch. I don't know if they fixed the terrible AI or not yet. But I like that galaxy is more mysterious now. You don't learn the total borders of a civilization just because you spoke to them. I have no idea if these aliens I've got border friction with are a  huge empire or a tiny one. 

Did it come out today?

I’ll wait a week. There will be at least one hotfix by then. 

After that time, the galaxy shall tremble at what will be unleashed upon them. 

39 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Did it come out today?

I’ll wait a week. There will be at least one hotfix by then. 

After that time, the galaxy shall tremble at what will be unleashed upon them. 

Yesterday. Apparently you can be the endgame crisis now. I haven't gotten that far yet. 

Archived