Video Games - Legendary Edition

Rhom

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Because I enjoyed the movie so much, I plan on buying a MK game, but I haven't played it in over a decade. Anyone have a good suggestion to try out on a PS4?

The Legit best MK game is MK9. Its story covers everything from MK1-3.  You may be able to get that on PS4 but I don't know as it's from 2011.  MKX is... not good, and I didn't play much of 11.

I just went through my pile of shame that has accumulated through years of Giveaways, Humble Bundles and the occasional sale. Dear god, still so much to go through:

Spoiler

Alien Isolation
Assassin's Creed III, Unity und Odyssey
Batman Arkham Knight
Battlefleet Gothic Armada II
Battletech
Bioshock 2 (started it years ago but lost interest quickly somehow)
Borderlands (attempted a playthrough twice, but dropped out somewhere along the way)
Borderlands 2
Dead Island (same as Borderlands)
Dead Island Riptide
Everything Deus Ex (tried out Human Revolution, but ran very badly on my computer at the time)
Fallout New Vegas
F.E.A.R. Reihe

The House in Fata Morgana
Numerous LEGO games
Everything Homeworld
Just Cause 2
The Last Remnant
Metro Reihe
Psychonauts
Psycho Pass: Mandatory Happiness
Risen 1+2
Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

Spec Ops: The Line
Sleeping Dogs
Jedi Knight Series (only finished Dark Forces so far)
Knights of the Old Republic (got stuck when I kept hitting a brick wall on Tatooine)
Knights of the Old Republic II
The Force Unleashed I + II

Steins;Gate and Steins;Gate 0 (am halfway through the first one though)
Supreme Commander (played a single multiplayer game at a LAN-party 9 years ago o.0)
Numerous Telltale games (Back to the Future, The Walking Dead, Jurassic Park, Pillars of the Earth, The Wolf among us etc.)
This War of Mine
Tyranny
Watch Dogs I + II
The Witcher I-III (letztens erst meinen Spielstand gegen Ende des ersten Kapitels von Witcher I wiedergefunden XD)

Sigh... I will never have to buy a videogame again, will I? XD

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Because I enjoyed the movie so much, I plan on buying a MK game, but I haven't played it in over a decade. Anyone have a good suggestion to try out on a PS4?

MK9 was the start of a new story continuity, with MK10 and MK11 being direct sequels. So it makes the most sense to play those in order. Or you could just jump straight to MK11 and see the latest and greatest in excessive gore. Also the story in MK11 is surprisingly good for a fighting game.

1 hour ago, Toth said:

I just went through my pile of shame that has accumulated through years of Giveaways, Humble Bundles and the occasional sale. Dear god, still so much to go through:

Reveal hidden contents

Alien Isolation
Batman Arkham Knight
Battletech
Borderlands (attempted a playthrough twice, but dropped out somewhere along the way)
Borderlands 2
Dead Island Riptide
Everything Deus Ex (tried out Human Revolution, but ran very badly on my computer at the time)
Fallout New Vegas
F.E.A.R. Reihe

Numerous LEGO games
Everything Homeworld
Just Cause 2
The Last Remnant
Metro Reihe
Psychonauts
Risen 1+2

Sleeping Dogs
Knights of the Old Republic (got stuck when I kept hitting a brick wall on Tatooine)

Supreme Commander (played a single multiplayer game at a LAN-party 9 years ago o.0)
Numerous Telltale games (Back to the Future, The Walking Dead, Jurassic Park, Pillars of the Earth, The Wolf among us etc.)
This War of Mine
Tyranny
Watch Dogs I + II
The Witcher I-III (letztens erst meinen Spielstand gegen Ende des ersten Kapitels von Witcher I wiedergefunden XD)

If it's any consolation, mine is much, much, much longer.

And I still buy videogames. *sigh*

I have wasted so much money on video games I've accepted I'm probably never going back to. At some point my gaming habits changed and my buying habits did not. I probably bought  a dozen games last year and spent 80% of my single player gaming time on Stellaris, Rimworld and Kenshi. 

Multiplayer games I but when they come out because there's only that short window where they have a player base. Though cross-platform play has made things a bit better there. I was happy to be able to play some games of Killer Queen Black the other night that were mostly filled with real people. 

One day I'll get to trying No Man's Sky which has been on my xbox forever and never been touched. I barely scratched the surface of Cyberpunk and should really get back to that now that they've patched it some. Honestly I also was a little disappointed it wasn't more like Fallout 3/New Vegas and went and replayed those two games instead which was fun. That's on me though I barely read anything about the game before buying it. 

I'm at least glad I managed to resist the call of Outriders. Loot shooters are so much fun until they become work. 

I find that keeping lists of things i want to play is just.... well nonsense.  Either I play it or I don't.  Just looking at your list Toth why would you ever need to play KOTOR and the 2 Force unleasheds for example.  KOTOR is the exact same as every other Bioware game except with lightsabers.  Literally no difference.  Force unleasheds are just honestly garbage and if you want to see the story there's youtube which can be said for every single game on your list: youtube.  I honestly don't understand.

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

Just looking at your list Toth why would you ever need to play KOTOR and the 2 Force unleasheds for example.  KOTOR is the exact same as every other Bioware game except with lightsabers.  Literally no difference.  Force unleasheds are just honestly garbage and if you want to see the story there's youtube which can be said for every single game on your list: youtube.  I honestly don't understand.

...Because they find some measure of delight or joy in the gameplay? 

By this same logic, sure, I could watch all of the videos of Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight. Or I could play the game and enjoy the interesting visuals, the fun gameplay, etc. The same applies here. 

Let people enjoy things. 

Knights of the Old Republic holds a strong claim to being the best-ever Star Wars video game (disputed really only by Jedi Outcast and TIE Fighter) and one of the best Star Wars stories. I agree it has some typical BioWare story structure predictability (borrowed from the earlier Baldur's Gate games), but it works because it sets things up to be undercut in the sometimes-superior, sometimes-worse KotOR 2.

The only reason not to play them today is because the graphics and some of the mechanics in both games have not aged gracefully, but they absolutely both still stand up as good games overall.

19 hours ago, mcbigski said:

The world is a mess and i just need to rule it.  If ever a galaxy deserved the new You Become the Crisis perk, it's this one...

So, basically, you're playing a Warhammer 40K scenario :D

8 hours ago, Durckad said:

If it's any consolation, mine is much, much, much longer.

And I still buy videogames. *sigh*

I try not to buy more than a couple a year. Specially with all the freebies around, made much worse by Epic store recently. At my current pace, I have a backlog that will last me for at least a decade, unless I suddenly become a millionaire and can have some real free time at long last.

3 hours ago, Karlbear said:

KOTOR still has some of the most reprehensible things allowed to the main character that I've ever actually seen if you go full Darkside.

I was quite impressed by what they did there, at the end. And yes, KOTOR is really good. I can understand not playing all Dragon Age or Mass Effect, but BG and KOTOR are a different matter. (Mass Effect 1 as well, for those few people who haven't been entirely spoiled about the key plot elements and twists)

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

The only reason not to play them today is because the graphics and some of the mechanics in both games have not aged gracefully, but they absolutely both still stand up as good games overall.

Ha. I have a playthrough going right now.

Just left Dantooine after completing my Jedi training. Being a Lightside guy this time. 

As @Karlbear said. Things can get dark. When I was younger I had Zaalbar murder Mission after switching to Darkside at the last moment. Not going to do that this time.

The two that still get me - and forgive me, totally forgotten names -

Spoiler

The first is when you go to the sith training area and meet one of your companions son. And you can get that kid pissed off and make him attack you and have his dad have to kill him. And then later you can tell the dad that he sucks and you never were his friend. 

The second is when you mind trick the wookee to kill the Lifebound twilek when she opposes you and then he kills himself.

Yeesh

24 minutes ago, Karlbear said:

Reveal hidden contents

The first is when you go to the sith training area and meet one of your companions son. And you can get that kid pissed off and make him attack you and have his dad have to kill him. And then later you can tell the dad that he sucks and you never were his friend. 

The second is when you mind trick the wookee to kill the Lifebound twilek when she opposes you and then he kills himself.

Yeesh

The second is the Mission and Zaalbar thing I mentioned. 

Though I don't remember him killing himself afterwards. It was a long time ago when I did it (2010).

4 hours ago, Clueless Northman said:

I was quite impressed by what they did there, at the end. And yes, KOTOR is really good. I can understand not playing all Dragon Age or Mass Effect, but BG and KOTOR are a different matter. (Mass Effect 1 as well, for those few people who haven't been entirely spoiled about the key plot elements and twists)

Interesting, I never played Mass Effect and outside the outrage about the differently colored endings of the third installment have no idea what happens in the first one. I also have Mass Effect 2 sitting in my Origin library due to a giveaway... Mmh... but to be honest I am not that eager to try it out, since the genre not seems to be mine.

Oddly enough KotoR I found intriguing as the first little look into this setting and how much they dared to deviate from the well trodden out paths of Star Wars. I also found all the skill checks and the battle system very Dungeons & Dragons like, though still a bit wonky at times and I had always the feeling I skilled myself into a corner (especially thanks to the "You are a Jedi and all your blaster skills are useless now" twist). That's why I always got murdered in every engagement after leaving Dantooine until I gave up in frustration. I also noticed I couldn't get the game to run without a bit of a hassle on Windows 10, so when my old laptop that accompanied me since I was 16 burned through its second graphics card, I had no easy way to play it anymore.

In utterly unrelated news I recently saw a video about the current status of X4: Foundations and felt oddly compelled to give it a try, but ultimately decided against it since even on sale it's still at 26€ and I just know I have absolutely no time for such a massive game, though in this I case I would love to support the developers either way. I mean by god, this is a 40 people team that has been churning out massive living and breathing space sims since 1999 and just casually did almost everything Star Citizen wants to be, just with Excel spreadsheets. I also have a strong suspicion the game would kill my CPU anyway.

15 hours ago, Toth said:

Hide contents

Alien Isolation
Batman Arkham Knight
Battletech
Borderlands 2
Dead Island Riptide
Fallout New Vegas
F.E.A.R. Reihe

Numerous LEGO games
Everything Homeworld
Just Cause 2
The Last Remnant
Metro Reihe
Psychonauts
Risen 1+2

Sleeping Dogs

This War of Mine
Tyranny
Watch Dogs I + II

Lol... my epic account alone has 124 games and I have only installed one of them. Free games.

I'm not looking at my steam account because I paid for those games...

I got a few free games back when Origin tried that approach and I think I played all of them but I only got classic Westwood games and those are pure awesome.

5 hours ago, Karlbear said:

Hide contents

Yeesh

Well, Carth deserves it for being such a fucking nag.

14 hours ago, Werthead said:

It's that goddamn interface. KOTOR's interface is so goddamn console-y in style that it makes playing it on a PC an absolute pain. 

And to the best of my knowledge, not a single mod has been able to fix it by making it more keyboard and mouse friendly.

Man, I forgot how good BattleTech is. On this run through I have more jumpjet mechs so can build up mobility more easily and am focusing more on building morale points on the Argo, so my mechs can use their special abilities more often on missions. This makes the battles less prone to having insane difficulty spikes, because you can use your abilities to remove stability damage, do more core reactor called shots and you have more mobility points the enemy need to overcome before they can hit you.

I also got Heavies earlier in the campaign than I did previously, and even have two partial Assaults in the bay waiting to be finished off. BattleTech is definitely a game that would benefit from having a much better tutorial (and even most of the online guides to the game tend to leave important things out).

11 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

It's that goddamn interface. KOTOR's interface is so goddamn console-y in style that it makes playing it on a PC an absolute pain. 

And to the best of my knowledge, not a single mod has been able to fix it by making it more keyboard and mouse friendly.

I think it was just a thing of that era. If you played tons of games in that time period, it's not too bad. Jade Empire is from the same period and has some of the same issues, but is still very much worth playing (easily BioWare's most underrated game; I enjoyed if more than any of the Dragon Ages and probably more than the first Mass Effect).

5 hours ago, Toth said:

Interesting, I never played Mass Effect and outside the outrage about the differently colored endings of the third installment have no idea what happens in the first one. I also have Mass Effect 2 sitting in my Origin library due to a giveaway... Mmh... but to be honest I am not that eager to try it out, since the genre not seems to be mine.

If you've no clue what it is about, apart from SciFi stuff, it might be interesting to play the first one.

27 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I think it was just a thing of that era. If you played tons of games in that time period, it's not too bad. Jade Empire is from the same period and has some of the same issues, but is still very much worth playing (easily BioWare's most underrated game; I enjoyed if more than any of the Dragon Ages and probably more than the first Mass Effect).

Well, Oblivion and Skyrim have shitty interfaces as well. As for Jade Empire, it is good; not sure why it was overlooked. Probably because it's not a usual setting, not Western med-fantasy, not Star Wars, not SciFi like Masse Effect. Perhaps coupled with high competition, WOW had been released 6 months earlier, Guild Wars just released, so the single-player RPG market suffered quite a lot for the next few years?

8 hours ago, Karlbear said:

Spoiler

I forgot about the first one - gee it was bad indeed. I was thinking of the latter, when you order your wookiee crewmate to kill the young twilek sidekick, because he's honor-bound to obey you due to his "loyalty" mission. Then wookiee of course gets really angry you have to fight and kill him...

Archived