Video Games - Legendary Edition

Rhom

13 hours ago, Werthead said:

I think it compares well to The Witcher 3, except that Horizon comes at it from an action-adventure angle and The Witcher 3 from an RPG angle and they're both meeting kind of in the middle (The Witcher 3, of course, gets a lot of shit about "not being a real RPG"). And both games actually eschew the Ubisoft style of jank filler content whilst having enough content to be impressively long (both over 60 hours).

I think we have different definitions of filler content because one of my main problems with W3 is there's too much filler content that I never feel like I'm making any actual progress in the game unless you focus solely on main quests.  Treasure hunts are all fetch quests, you need to do a bunch of them in order for them to be really useful, and there are just a ton of them because you have to fetch each individual piece.  I gave up on these early.  Contracts have a similar problem in that there are a ton of them with little overall value, require a lot of travel, and focus on combat which is one of the weakest points of the game.  Another entire tier of quests that don't add much value to the overall game that I gave up on within ~20 hours of play.  Then there are side quests, of which I've been told some of the best stories of the game are, but again there are just a ton of these that you have to wade through.  75 hours in and if I ever want to beat this game I have to stop these quests as well.  In HZD I was able to finish all of the quests and DLC in ~60 hours, if you just do the main quest it's ~30 hours.  

For some reason I felt compelled to take a look at The Crew 2 again. You know, Ubisoft's Forza Horizon knock-off that I only bought because Forza Horizon refuses to run on my computer with more than 0,2 frames per second.

I'm... both surprised and baffled. So the whole "Season 2" thing I had heard about turns out to not be a paid expansion, but instead it's... somehow worse? I think. They removed the daily quests that give you the premium currency 'crew credits' which had been only a minor supplement that allows you to buy some cars (that you could also buy with the regular currency) and vanity items. Now the only way to earn crew credits is by taking part in limited time seasonal story events that are about you starring in an action movie and filming stunts, but with each event being built around an entirely new game mode. The first one that I already missed was about police chases where you have to wreck a number of other cars withing a limited time frame. All police cars except one had to be unlocked in the event shop, so now that it's over they are all permanently locked. The current event is about stunts that you can go at with any street cars and motocross bikes, so at least you aren't shut out from a game mode, but there are still cars in the shop.

And here comes the kicker: You only get the barest fraction of the stuff from the event shop by doing the event missions. To get the items you already unlocked by playing the game, you need to buy a "Premium Motorpass" for 80.000 crew credits. From doing all the missions in an event you get maybe 20.000 crew credits. Meaning you have to play three events without rewards to unlock the rewards for the forth one. Since each event lasts about 3 months, that's... that's a year of playing right there. So basically this is a hidden subscription that makes you pay to be allowed to gain the rewards from playing. The hell? I feel like without this motorpass, there is really no point in pursuing the quests because you don't get shit anyway.

Disco Elysium: The Final Cut is out today. I've been itching to replay the game ever since I beat it last year, but The Final Cut was announced almost the day after I finished so I decided to hold off until now.

4 hours ago, aceluby said:

I think we have different definitions of filler content because one of my main problems with W3 is there's too much filler content that I never feel like I'm making any actual progress in the game unless you focus solely on main quests.  Treasure hunts are all fetch quests, you need to do a bunch of them in order for them to be really useful, and there are just a ton of them because you have to fetch each individual piece.  I gave up on these early.  Contracts have a similar problem in that there are a ton of them with little overall value, require a lot of travel, and focus on combat which is one of the weakest points of the game.  Another entire tier of quests that don't add much value to the overall game that I gave up on within ~20 hours of play.  Then there are side quests, of which I've been told some of the best stories of the game are, but again there are just a ton of these that you have to wade through.  75 hours in and if I ever want to beat this game I have to stop these quests as well.  In HZD I was able to finish all of the quests and DLC in ~60 hours, if you just do the main quest it's ~30 hours.  

But is it really filler if you don't have to do them? I quickly decided on my first playthrough to only do points of interests if I ran into them and felt like it; the game never forced me to. I also only did treasure hunts for one of the Witcher schools of armour. In my first playthrough I did all contracts and big sidequests because I wanted to; in my second I only did a few contracts here and there and whatever sidequests particularly interested me, and even fewer points of interests. Even in the second playthrough I was always over-leveled for the main quest.

Just because something is there doesn't mean you have to do it, and for those that want to it's an extra bonus. I don't see the problem. The bigger flaw for the Witcher 3 for me is its serious pacing issues in parts of the main quest, especially the Novigrad quests (find this person to find that person to find this person to find that person to find Dandelion to find Ciri).

I feel similarly about Dragon Age Inquisition, where most of the sidequests are worse and there are many more. But on my first playthrough, I figured out quickly what kinds of sidequests felt rewarding and what I wanted to do and what I didn't. This greatly increased my enjoyment of the game. If there's someone out there though that wants to help every farmer get 20 elfroots and recover their goats, more power to them.

I definitely see a difference between things that are there to fill out the game world with optional content, and filler that is mandatory. You see this in MMOs where massive grinds of trivial content are needed to advance. 

4 hours ago, Fez said:

Disco Elysium: The Final Cut is out today. I've been itching to replay the game ever since I beat it last year, but The Final Cut was announced almost the day after I finished so I decided to hold off until now.

I see it's a free update for people who already own the game.  I'll have to check it out.  Never got around to finishing the base game.  As is the case with most games I buy.

14 hours ago, briantw said:

I see it's a free update for people who already own the game.  I'll have to check it out.  Never got around to finishing the base game.  As is the case with most games I buy.

It's a great game. I can't speak to The Final Cut yet though. I've played for a few hours and honestly have no idea how much of the new content I'm seeing was already in the game and that I missed because my character stats were different.

Except for the full voice acting, I know that's new. And it's good.

44 minutes ago, Fez said:

It's a great game. I can't speak to The Final Cut yet though. I've played for a few hours and honestly have no idea how much of the new content I'm seeing was already in the game and that I missed because my character stats were different.

Except for the full voice acting, I know that's new. And it's good.

Do you mean the whole game is now voice acted? What put me off before was the sheer amount of reading I had to do, it was more like a book

37 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Do you mean the whole game is now voice acted? What put me off before was the sheer amount of reading I had to do, it was more like a book

Yeah, the entire game is now voice-acted. Every single word. I think it's glorious, even though I read far faster than the voice acting.

But if that's too much, there's a setting so that all character dialog and narration is voice-acted, but all the main character's inner thoughts are silent. And there's a third setting that I think keeps the voice acting to roughly the amount it was in the original game.

It is worth noting that all of the inner thoughts use the same voice actor, who is also the narrator. I'm okay with it, but some people have gotten upset. Apparently the developer thought that having 24 different voices for all the inner thoughts would be too overwhelming for players. Things like the ancient lizard brain and the limbic system have different voices though, as do any inanimate objects if you can get them to talk. And all the other characters have their own voice actors as well. I think it's mostly the same actors who provided the limited voice acting in the original version, though Cuno is definitely someone new. But I'm only a few hours, so there's tons of characters I haven't met yet.

19 hours ago, Ran said:

I definitely see a difference between things that are there to fill out the game world with optional content, and filler that is mandatory. You see this in MMOs where massive grinds of trivial content are needed to advance. 

Absolutely. This has  been a huge problem in pretty much every JRPG I've ever played: grind for three hours to get your party up to level. There are also some games, like Assassin's Creed Odyssey, where you have to do a ton of side content to get up to levels required by the main quest. This is partially, I think, because Ubisoft now sells you the ability to level up faster in the shop, so they want to encourage you to skip the grind by spending money. But I don't think you can apply it to Witcher 3, because I always felt like I was drowning in XP during both my playthroughs.

My girlfriend and I started playing Disco Elysium last week, without realising it was about to be updated. I really like it, but the reading is a chore and we can’t play it for too long, so I’m really pleased that they have full voice acting. Will the update work with an active playthrough, does anyone know, or will we have to start again to take advantage?

On 3/30/2021 at 1:53 PM, Caligula_K3 said:

But is it really filler if you don't have to do them? I quickly decided on my first playthrough to only do points of interests if I ran into them and felt like it; the game never forced me to. I also only did treasure hunts for one of the Witcher schools of armour. In my first playthrough I did all contracts and big sidequests because I wanted to; in my second I only did a few contracts here and there and whatever sidequests particularly interested me, and even fewer points of interests. Even in the second playthrough I was always over-leveled for the main quest.

Just because something is there doesn't mean you have to do it, and for those that want to it's an extra bonus. I don't see the problem. The bigger flaw for the Witcher 3 for me is its serious pacing issues in parts of the main quest, especially the Novigrad quests (find this person to find that person to find this person to find that person to find Dandelion to find Ciri).

I feel similarly about Dragon Age Inquisition, where most of the sidequests are worse and there are many more. But on my first playthrough, I figured out quickly what kinds of sidequests felt rewarding and what I wanted to do and what I didn't. This greatly increased my enjoyment of the game. If there's someone out there though that wants to help every farmer get 20 elfroots and recover their goats, more power to them.

I think that's fair as none of the filler content is forced.  I still think that more isn't necessarily better, but I can see why people would appreciate the option even if they don't do it themselves.  It personally lowered my enjoyment of it, but I think after I finish my current game I'll come back to W3 and just focus on the main quest to see if my opinion changes.

On 3/31/2021 at 4:36 PM, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

My girlfriend and I started playing Disco Elysium last week, without realising it was about to be updated. I really like it, but the reading is a chore and we can’t play it for too long, so I’m really pleased that they have full voice acting. Will the update work with an active playthrough, does anyone know, or will we have to start again to take advantage?

No restart necessary, but they’ve changed Cuno’s voice?! I am outraged.

#releasethecunocut

24 minutes ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

No restart necessary, but they’ve changed Cuno’s voice?! I am outraged.

#releasethecunocut

Considering how much dialog there is, I think it would be unbearable to hear that THE FUCK DOES CUNO CARE?! voice for all of it.

That said, the new voice is still a whiny little shit, so the tenor is still there.

My riches in MechWarrior 5 were getting a bit ludicrous, so I took off for a very high-value area of space and went shopping. Was surprised to find some Heavy and Assault Mechs going cheap so am now rocking a Zeus, Awesome, Warhammer and Quickdraw. Starting to amass C-Bills quickly again so might do another long-range trip to see if I can find an Atlas.

Which is all great but there is a big problem in that I can't amass Rep points fast enough to actually get to use these Mechs in challenging missions to trigger the next story point. I could go to much higher-value space, but apparently if you that you end up triggering multiple-Assault drops which can be a pain in the backside without experienced pilots or hero mechs (which are areas I've under-valued so far).

All going great so far, although the game would be unplayable without some of the mods. I need to find a good one for radar next. The ones I've seen simply have everything on the radar all the time, which is good for making missile boat builds viable but bad for making the game too easy. Ideally I want something like BattleTech, so if one of your units or an allied unit sees an enemy, everyone can see it (because, y'know, telemetry is a thing).

I am fascinating by the mod that turns the game into a proper real-time strategy game, but I think that's probably best held in reserve for a second playthrough.

I watched people stream MW5 when it was released, and was rather neat as a couple of them were deep into the lore and were fitting the narrative in to established stuff.

Looked like a fun game, a nice throwback to the 90s when new mech simulators seemed to crop up every year.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Considering how much dialog there is, I think it would be unbearable to hear that THE FUCK DOES CUNO CARE?! voice for all of it.

That said, the new voice is still a whiny little shit, so the tenor is still there.

The angry scouse urchin vibe is dramatically reduced, and it’s very disappointing.

Archived