Star Trek: All Good Threads...

SpaceChampion

Surprising seeing as they have the same exec producer, but was episode 2 throwing a fair bit of shade at Discovery / Picard? Solving both situations through science and then Boimler’s quick fire rant at why he didn’t like the Titan, seemed like  it was aimed squarely at the disillusioned TNG fan.

9 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Surprising seeing as they have the same exec producer, but was episode 2 throwing a fair bit of shade at Discovery / Picard? Solving both situations through science and then Boimler’s quick fire rant at why he didn’t like the Titan, seemed like  it was aimed squarely at the disillusioned TNG fan.

Interesting take on things. That honestly went over my head.

14 minutes ago, sifth said:

Interesting take on things. That honestly went over my head.

I gotta be honest, I didn’t get into Starfleet to get into phaser fights. I signed up to explore, to be out in space making new discoveries and peaceful diplomatic solutions. That’s boldly going. And you know what? I’d love to be in a string quartet. I love that when Riker was on the Enterprise, he was out there jamming on the trombone and catching love disease and acting in plays and meeting his identical transporter clone, Thomas. That stuff may not seem as cool as what you guys do, but it’s Starfleet all the way.

…then later, when asked what it was like on the Titan:

It was a bunch of complex characters thrown into heavily serialised battles which always ended in mind blowing twists and made me question the basic tenets of my reality.

I guess it’s more pro-90’s Trek than anti DIS/PIC, but still.

Thomas wasn’t technically a transporter clone, they were both equally the original Will Riker.

Pity DS9 never revisited Tom after he got imprisoned by the Cardassians. Did Starfleet not arrange his release in exchange for industrial replicators after the Klingon attack? Did they just leave him to rot? 
Edit: According to Memory Alpha, Frakes was keen to return, but the DS9 producers were reluctant to keep revisiting the past, though there was talk of him being part of Damar’s rebellion, which would have been good

Very strong start for this new season of Lower Decks indeed.

It's the little show that keeps giving. I never had high expectations for it, so it keeps being a pleasant surprise. The very opposite of Picard (omg, what a trainwreck) and, to a lesser extent, Discovery (which is ok, and could be genuinely good if it didn't keep going back to Burnham MarySuing her way out of every problem).

I dunno if Lower Decks meant to criticize Discovery, because to be fair, Discovery does have its dose of exploration and peaceful diplomatic resolutions (IIRC).
I'd say the original point was mainly to compare TNG-style Trek show(s) to action shows of the same era (end of 1980s to 1990s), and that also means poiting a finger at some of the more action-filled Discovery episodes (and maybe even... Enterprise?).

Still, it's a surprising wink to people (like me) who define Trek exactly like that, i.e. who imagine the "ideal" future for humanity as being about this passion for exploration, the resolution of problems and conflicts through non-violent means (science, bitch!), and the balance between adventure and personal (character) development (hence the music and theatre). This is in fact what made fall in love with Star Trek as a kid, because it was so much more, eh, soothing than anything else on TV at the time. Even as the world seemed like such a big and dangerous place (at the time Saddam was supposed to be the devil incarnate - something South Park later made fun of), Trek offered a vision of a future where everything (or close enough) had been solved, and that was a very relaxing thought somehow.
Anyway, I think this is acknowledging the fact that many trekkies share this view of Trek. With the caveat that Boimler is just one character that doesn't exactly get his way.

Maybe I'm reading to much into this, but there's the possibility that Mariner is more of a stand-in for Burnham and Discovery (young woman of color whose few flaws are family-related -rather annoying for those watching her- as the main character), while Boimler (and Rutherford) represent TNG (a greater reliance on having science-related plots), and Lower Decks is kinda teasing the trekkies by showing they're perfectly aware of how Trek is now this odd mix of two aspects that don't always blend/get along well - though we all know that in the end, they can't excape one another.
And Tendi is Tilly of course - looks aside, these two characters are very close aren't they?.

I’m definitely enjoying the second season more. It seems they’ve dialled back the pace slightly, and reigned in Mariner’s insubordination so it feels a touch more in line with TNG. 

Fun adventures in being colour blind; it totally passed me by that Tendi was Orion, I leaned over to my wife and said ‘wait, has she been green the whole time?’. Between this and thinking Ahsoka Tano was brown, I am baaaad at animated sci fi skin colours.

I feel like I say this every week, but I'm still shocked how much I've been enjoying Lower Decks. Out of all of the newer Trek shows, it's easily been my favorite and just makes me feel happy watching it.

That makes 3 actresses now, Voyager already recast her. And then un-re-cast her when Alice Krige was available for the finale. Was never particularly interested in the character so I remain pretty tepid on Season 2.

Also, Lower Decks: I laughed an awful lot at ‘tractor factor’.

Of all the Treks, Voyager has the worst pilot.  Like DS9 I missed a lot of the later seasons, and my rewatch/first watch of that came away with a much better impression of the show than I did 20+ years ago.  Will a rewatch/first watch of Voyager produce another winner?

A half hour in to it and this Array sucks the life out of me.  I don't know if I will have the strength of will to make it to any episode I haven't seen before in season 3 or 4 and later.

I rewatched Caretaker a few years back (intending on a full watchthru of Voyager that never materialized) and... while it wasn't as good as Emissary, it was certainly better than Farpoint and Broken Bow at least. 

I think my response at the time was that it was just kinda dull and boring. Nothing egregiously stupid or bad like the aforementioned other two pilot episodes.

6 hours ago, Durckad said:

I rewatched Caretaker a few years back (intending on a full watchthru of Voyager that never materialized) and... while it wasn't as good as Emissary, it was certainly better than Farpoint and Broken Bow at least. 

I think my response at the time was that it was just kinda dull and boring. Nothing egregiously stupid or bad like the aforementioned other two pilot episodes.

Yeah, it got better.  I had just stopped 30 minutes into it to come bitch here, then returned to it and it improved.  I just hated the farmers holograms.  Logically, if the point was to make the crew feel comfortable and not freak out, the one thing most of them had in common was attending Starfleet Academy.  They could have had scenes from their past playing out and actually taught us something about their characters.  Perfect way to add more depth in a pilot episode.

The next two episodes both have to do with cause preceding effect temporal anomalies.  Fairly good episodes but weird they didn't spread that out in the season.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived