Star Trek: All Good Threads...

SpaceChampion

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Same stuff as before. I'm sure there will be some really good episodes, but it will all finish into one giant clusterfuck yet again.

Hard to say from the trailer. It does seem equally bombastic to the prior seasons, though.

The maroon outfits as some sort of dress/away uniform is a nice homage to the Star Fleet uniforms of Star Trek II and on, but the maroon pants to go with them are a big fashion faux pas, IMO. 32nd century seems to lack fashion sense.

What did I expect when I clicked on the trailer? It... really looked like the usual bullshit, so I guess no reason for me to acknowledge Discovery's existence...

Meanwhile yesterday I inexplicably binge watched Lower Decks. Season 1 often didn't quite felt right to me. Yes, it was already better than the other drivel nowadays, but to my liking they far too much leaned into the nostalgia overload and being Rick and Morty in the Star Trek universe. And while the ending was great, the Titan blasting enemies to the TNG theme seemed jarring, because this is the theme for a show that was never about combat. All in all the show, while having some genuinely good ideas, didn't quite have its own leg to stand on. Therefore I was all the more fascinated how season 2 seemed quite a lot more character focused and made me seriously like the cast. It's still horribly reliant on nostalgia, but the show now very much succeeded in being its own thing and I can fully understand the praise. I especially liked Boimler, what with him being the representation of old-school Picard style philosopher captain Starfleet and its fans and the stories starting to keep rewarding him for it.

6 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

The most important part of that trailer... was there a Ferengi in there???

Give me them rules of acquisition, please.

Definitely looked like a Ferengi to me.

I'm conflicted on things when it comes to season 3 of Discovery. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either. It was a step in the right direction and had several episodes solve problems without the use of violence, which made me really happy. To be honest, season 3 of Discovery felt like season 1 of every other Trek show I've seen, which is both a good and a bad thing; good because it finally felt like Trek, bad because nearly every first season of Trek sucked. I still don't understand why Burnham wasn't just made the captain from the very beginning; I mean she was already placed in positions of command at least 5 or 6 times already, so I'm not sure what the point was in having her be a lower ranking officer. The fact that the show refuses to develop any of the cast beyond Burnham is another issue the show has suffered from. It's shocking to see the show is scared to let characters stand on their own feet and solve their own problems without Burnham's help.

The thing about Discovery (as well as Picard I guess) is that it takes itself so damn seriously, while offering plots that lack the depth that we'd expect of a Trek show. That trailer embodies everything that doesn't work for me. Spectacular images but a plot that depends on high stakes and action, while focusing on a single character. There'll probably be a bit more to the season than that, but the trailer is awful at selling it imho, and looks like it was made for a 2h movie.

The reason I like Lower Decks is precisely because it never tried to pretend it would offer much depth. Or much anything. It was, and still is, the show that's not meant to be good in the first place, so it's all the more exciting when it pulls off the sweet balance between plot and charaterization, the right pace, and at least a few jokes that land. It helps that it has two main characters (Boimler and Mariner), but also takes the time to develop many others.
Episode 9 was dope btw. It had a lot of great moments and great jokes for a 20-minute episode. And it creates an actual story  and abtly introduces two new characters, one of which has serious comic potential.

That "live long and prosper, sir" is pure gold. As is the final joke.

T'Lyn will be a good addition to our cast of main characters. She clearly has the spunk to stand up to Mariner and a curiosity and enthusiasm for science that will match that of Rutherford and Tendy. Of course, it's easy to see exactly how she will interact with Mariner and Boimler (cold and distant) before warming up to them (Boimler first, then Mariner), so I hope they subvert our expectations here a bit. At any rate, it's always nice to have a Vulcan perspective.
I only wonder if she will join the crew at the very beginning or at the very end of the finale.

I too just binged Lower Decks season two so far. Great stuff. I half expect them to kill Boimler and then replace him with his double at some point. I've read that was the original plan for Riker. 

Also:

22 hours ago, Rippounet said:
  Hide contents

T'Lyn will be a good addition to our cast of main characters. She clearly has the spunk to stand up to Mariner and a curiosity and enthusiasm for science that will match that of Rutherford and Tendy. Of course, it's easy to see exactly how she will interact with Mariner and Boimler (cold and distant) before warming up to them (Boimler first, then Mariner), so I hope they subvert our expectations here a bit. At any rate, it's always nice to have a Vulcan perspective.
I only wonder if she will join the crew at the very beginning or at the very end of the finale.

T'Lyn was beyond awesome. Has it been confirmed that she's joining the cast next year? I have to give Lower Decks even more credit than usual for actually creating the first Vulcan character I didn't hate. Don't get me wrong, Spock is cool, but he's also half human and Tim Russ is an awesome actor and a very funny guy, but was wasted playing Tuvok, IMO. To this day I still feel, Tim Russ would have been much better playing a Romulan.

Back on topic, I fully agree with you about last weeks episode being extremely good. It both explored the casts personal relationships and expanded it's universe at the same time; not something easily pulled off in around only 20 minutes. 

Mmh, not sure I can agree all that much. I think T'Lyn falls into the exact same mold of the super duper special mega genius who knows everything better and is always right. They only made her sympathetic by making her crewmates absolutely insufferable obstructionists. Maybe I would have liked it more if she convinced her superiors that her alterations were purely logical additions for the success of their mission or the effectiveness of their ship instead of just doing it on her own completely blindsiding the chain of command and then going "I had a gut feeling, trust meeeeeee!" when she's called out on it. The end point of that story could still be the captain suggesting a transfer to Starfleet to make use of her creative thinking instead of adding just another maverick who can't play by the rules. We already got Mariner for that.

9 hours ago, sifth said:

T'Lyn was beyond awesome. Has it been confirmed that she's joining the cast next year?

It's just my assumption. But honestly, I think it's a pretty safe bet.

8 hours ago, Toth said:

Mmh, not sure I can agree all that much. I think T'Lyn falls into the exact same mold of the super duper special mega genius who knows everything better and is always right. They only made her sympathetic by making her crewmates absolutely insufferable obstructionists.
[...]
The end point of that story could still be the captain suggesting a transfer to Starfleet to make use of her creative thinking instead of adding just another maverick who can't play by the rules. We already got Mariner for that.

The irony may be that T'Lyn will no longer be a maverick once she's surrounded by humans. On the Cerritos, she'll be encouraged and praised for following her "gut feelings."
Which is, of course, something her captain would have known/expected. Hence why he told her she was jumping to conclusions again: it is clear that her assignment to the Cerritos will prove immensely rewarding for her.

22 hours ago, Rippounet said:

Episode 9 was dope btw. It had a lot of great moments and great jokes for a 20-minute episode. And it creates an actual story  and abtly introduces two new characters, one of which has serious comic potential.

Reveal hidden contents

I did enjoy the different 'Lower Decks' groups on the various ships.

Star Trek Voyager is much better when you can binge it and not have to pay too much attention to any of it.  But then Season 2 episode 15 Threshold comes on and it's absolutely riveting how awful it gets.  Paris tests out a shuttle crossing the Warp 10 barrier and begins to "evolve".  Ok, what environment conditions is he evolving in response to??  And then he kidnaps Janeway, goes Warp 10 again with her and she turns into a lizard too.  And they have little lizard babies.  Was it premediated sexual assault, brushed off with Janeway's "how do you know it was my idea?"

I can't even.

Sooner or later I have a feeling someone on the Voyager writing staff is going to have their Me Too moment.

Archived