Star Trek: All Good Threads...

SpaceChampion

Me and my friends were talking about the Tuvix episode just the other night and we were shocked by that fact that the episode is over 20 years old and yet so dam memorable. I honestly don't think any of the new Trek episodes have reached that point yet, where they've made episodes that I'll still be thinking about 20 years or so into the future; even Lower Decks, which as I've stated many times is a show I find very enjoyable, has still yet to reach the place that 90's Trek has for me. 

I just realized, if they add T'Lyn to the main cast, it probably is in order to have a regular in the science division.

Also... I'm somewhat surprised that with the exception of Shaxs (who doesn't really count given that he's bridge crew) we also don't have a security officer regular in a show about redshirts. If Ma'ah hadn't become captain at the end of the episode, I would wonder whether the point of it was to also introduce him as a possible cast member to rectify that. I mean he could still get the boot if the guy he killed had good connections that now have it out for him, but still, from his whole personality he would fit much better into the command division like Boimler and Beckett. In addition to that I'm thinking it would fit the theme of the show a whole lot to have a bumbling nerdy security officer to counter Shaxs' hypermasculine action hero personality.

18 hours ago, sifth said:

Me and my friends were talking about the Tuvix episode just the other night and we were shocked by that fact that the episode is over 20 years old and yet so dam memorable. I honestly don't think any of the new Trek episodes have reached that point yet, where they've made episodes that I'll still be thinking about 20 years or so into the future; even Lower Decks, which as I've stated many times is a show I find very enjoyable, has still yet to reach the place that 90's Trek has for me. 

I podcasted that episode, possibly the most absurd in the entire franchise, live, and it was a hoot. I even made sure everyone in the audience had a photo of Tuvix, to ensure they knew what that hideous space-goblin looked like.

Janeway's only mistake was not spacing him right off.

11 hours ago, Maltaran said:

The credit gag with the Borg lower decks was fun

We wait to watch it until Monday nights when we have a weekly hangout with one of our friends, so I check this thread after, so I don't get spoiled. This episode was fantastic. We all giggled so hard through the credits. Coulda been the wine for me, coulda been the weed for them, but it was so much awesome. 

I really do love Lower Decks. For me, it is second only to DS9. We watched the latest trailer for Discovery last night too, and we're all meh on it. It was part of our weekly meet up watch session, and we're going to check out the first ep when it airs to see if we want to keep hate watching it together. I have a feeling that we'll end up skipping it, and just hate watching it on our own. Picard used to be on the list too, but that's also a huge meh for me.

1 hour ago, TrackerNeil said:

I podcasted that episode, possibly the most absurd in the entire franchise, live, and it was a hoot. I even made sure everyone in the audience had a photo of Tuvix, to ensure they knew what that hideous space-goblin looked like.

Janeway's only mistake was not spacing him right off.

I mean you're free to have your opinion, but I honestly don't think the argument of killing one life to save two, is quite that black and white as you seem to believe it is.

1 minute ago, sifth said:

I mean you're free to have your opinion, but I honestly don't think the argument of killing one life to save two, is quite that black and white as you seem to believe it is.

I dunno, one of those lives was Neelix. 

On 10/12/2021 at 1:12 AM, sifth said:

There are at least two Voyager episodes nobody who's seen them ever forgets. One is the Tuvix episode, the other is the mad thing where Tom invents the Warp 10 engine, evolves into a frog and has offspring with Janeway. Nobody ever forgets that.

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

There are at least two Voyager episodes nobody who's seen them ever forgets. One is the Tuvix episode, the other is the mad thing where Tom invents the Warp 10 engine, evolves into a frog and has offspring with Janeway. Nobody ever forgets that.

And the crew never, ever mentions it again, which I suppose is what you would do. But, still...

9 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

I mean Year of Hell is  pretty unforgettable as well. I've never seen time travel used in such an evil and twisted way before.

I really enjoyed the episode too. I think there was a great symmetry where the Klingon lower decker talked about logic, (a Vulcan trait) T' Lyn spoke a fair bit about intuition and gut (which I think in the ST universe is presumed to be a cute human affectation). This may be stretching it a bit, but Boimler saying he didnt want to go to his death in a Hawaiian shirt and as a liar speaks to honor, a Klingon trait.

The theme appears to be that even if stereotypes could be mostly true, we should still cherish individual differences within them.

Pretty good finale. 

I like how they've shaken things up in both finales so far. I'm sure it'll all be resolved in a couple episodes, but having a replacement captain could be interesting.

I'm assuming the Pakleds just blew themselves up by mistake?

Hopefully T'Lyn pops up again next season along with the new captain.

On 10/13/2021 at 3:15 AM, TrackerNeil said:

And the crew never, ever mentions it again, which I suppose is what you would do. But, still...

Voyager never mentions it again, but Lower Decks does ;)

Archived