Star Trek: All Good Threads...

SpaceChampion

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

I didn't realize the other captain in the finale was an established character from TNG.

She was a fun character, and it was disappointing she only did two episodes.

Spoiler

Especially since she acquitted herself well during first contact with the Borg. That was hardcore.

I really enjoyed the season final for Lower Decks. This was always what I liked most about Trek, people working together to solve problems. The problem solving in this episode, really did feel like something right out of a really good episode of TNG.

6 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Voiced by the same actress too.

After the crisp voice-over by Jonathan Frakes and Jeffrey Combs, I was a little irritated about how less crisp and awkward her voice was... her funny accent first officer was odd as well.

All in all the episode was quite decent, even though nothing groundbreaking. And yes, the whole crew having to work together to finish the job in a tough time limit was quite neat. Also of course the callback to First Contact with the overly specific hull plating mechanism.

Amusingly, I got flashbacks to my own fanfic writing here. I once tried myself years ago at my own 'lower decks' style episodic story about the redshirts aboard a Nebula class ship. So what the Cerritos crew would consider a hero ship. One of my proudest episodes was about the ship getting dropped off in intergalactic space by an unstable wormhole and the crew having to massively modify the ship to catch the jet of a quasar and use it to reactivate the wormhole to get back home, with there being a distinct point of no return where they couldn't avoid the jet anymore and attempt to limp back home the impossibly long way.

2 hours ago, Toth said:

After the crisp voice-over by Jonathan Frakes and Jeffrey Combs, I was a little irritated about how less crisp and awkward her voice was... her funny accent first officer was odd as well.

All in all the episode was quite decent, even though nothing groundbreaking. And yes, the whole crew having to work together to finish the job in a tough time limit was quite neat. Also of course the callback to First Contact with the overly specific hull plating mechanism.

Amusingly, I got flashbacks to my own fanfic writing here. I once tried myself years ago at my own 'lower decks' style episodic story about the redshirts aboard a Nebula class ship. So what the Cerritos crew would consider a hero ship. One of my proudest episodes was about the ship getting dropped off in intergalactic space by an unstable wormhole and the crew having to massively modify the ship to catch the jet of a quasar and use it to reactivate the wormhole to get back home, with there being a distinct point of no return where they couldn't avoid the jet anymore and attempt to limp back home the impossibly long way.

Nitpick:

Quasars are not only incredibly distant.  They also only exist, to the best of our knowledge, in the distant past.  So… finding a quasar is highly… unlikely.

:)

35 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Nitpick:

Quasars are not only incredibly distant.  They also only exist, to the best of our knowledge, in the distant past.  So… finding a quasar is highly… unlikely.

:)

That's kind of the point of the wormhole. They have been flung hundreds of millions of lightyears outside the milkyway and right in front of the jet of one (a line detailing that the wormhole must have technobabbly been drawn towards it). The quasar itself is still millions of lightyears away (since it's obviously in another galaxy) and when they look out of the window they see the early days of the quasar in the distant past, but the jet that was launched eons ago is still heading towards them and they have to decide whether to evade it or take the chance and use its stupendous energy to get back home. Amusingly, it also included an ensign crawling in a space suit to a difficult to reach place at the last minute, though in this case it was a Vulcan engineering officer into one of the nacelles.

Ah, good times, good times. The other episodes were mostly on the silly side either. I wonder whether Lower Decks will also show the planet from "Shore Leave" again, with them being upset about the absence of tourists since holodecks became commonplace...

2 hours ago, Toth said:

That's kind of the point of the wormhole. They have been flung hundreds of millions of lightyears outside the milkyway and right in front of the jet of one (a line detailing that the wormhole must have technobabbly been drawn towards it). The quasar itself is still millions of lightyears away (since it's obviously in another galaxy) and when they look out of the window they see the early days of the quasar in the distant past, but the jet that was launched eons ago is still heading towards them and they have to decide whether to evade it or take the chance and use its stupendous energy to get back home. Amusingly, it also included an ensign crawling in a space suit to a difficult to reach place at the last minute, though in this case it was a Vulcan engineering officer into one of the nacelles.

Ah, good times, good times. The other episodes were mostly on the silly side either. I wonder whether Lower Decks will also show the planet from "Shore Leave" again, with them being upset about the absence of tourists since holodecks became commonplace...

Are you positing that wormholes travel through time… as well as space?

14 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Are you positing that wormholes travel through time… as well as space?

Uhm... quasars may have been more common in the past, but there are still some out there where black holes have more matter to feed from than usual. Also new ones can be created through the collision of galaxies (so there is a low likelihood that the Milkyway may get one when Andromeda hits us). Case in point, the quasar in my story was created by a galaxy collision a couple million years before the USS McKay got dropped there, so it's a particularly young one.

10 minutes ago, Toth said:

Uhm... quasars may have been more common in the past, but there are still some out there where black holes have more matter to feed from than usual. Also new ones can be created through the collision of galaxies (so there is a low likelihood that the Milkyway may get one when Andromeda hits us). Case in point, the quasar in my story was created by a galaxy collision a couple million years before the USS McKay got dropped there, so it's a particularly young one.

Have we ever observed a Quasar that is younger than 690 million years old?

9 hours ago, felice said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I suspect she'll being taking command of the Cerritos next season, since her own ship looks like it will be out of commission for a while.

That would make sense, but I was expecting a Jelico-esq hard ass who would clash with Mariner's uuh...looser work ethic.  

I also forgot to mention before the Section 31ish implant reveal, I wonder what that's about. That "out of memory" plotline didn't really make sense to me. I guess it was sweet, but whats the point of having two backups in the implant, and not like on a disk in case the implant is damaged again?

10 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Hide contents

That would make sense, but I was expecting a Jelico-esq hard ass who would clash with Mariner's uuh...looser work ethic.  

I also forgot to mention before the Section 31ish implant reveal, I wonder what that's about. That "out of memory" plotline didn't really make sense to me. I guess it was sweet, but whats the point of having two backups in the implant, and not like on a disk in case the implant is damaged again?

Spoiler

Possibly it wasn't actually triplicate copies of his memories at all, but whatever it is was labelled that way to hide another type of data for section 31 or whoever it is.  In which case, did he actually erase it?

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Have we ever observed a Quasar that is younger than 690 million years old?

Yes, although not by much. The nearest quasar is located in Markarian 231, 581 million light-years away.

On 10/14/2021 at 9:00 PM, RumHam said:

I didn't realize the other captain in the finale was an established character from TNG.

The line to the ensign who tripped up: "Relax, I've done much more embarrassing things." makes more sense now.

I thought it was a really good season finale, I think showing the strengths of Lower Decks that it can have plenty of comedy and slightly silly moments in the episode (I liked the dolphins) and still have a plot that would have make for a good episode of something like TNG, while at the same time setting up some interesting plots for the next season.

It does seem a bit weird that if Starfleet security think Captain Freeman had caused the explosion that they wouldn't think someone else on her crew might be involved and just leave with her.

It'll also be interesting to see where the Rutherford revelation leads.

17 minutes ago, williamjm said:

The line to the ensign who tripped up: "Relax, I've done much more embarrassing things." makes more sense now.

I thought it was a really good season finale, I think showing the strengths of Lower Decks that it can have plenty of comedy and slightly silly moments in the episode (I liked the dolphins) and still have a plot that would have make for a good episode of something like TNG, while at the same time setting up some interesting plots for the next season.

Hide contents

It does seem a bit weird that if Starfleet security think Captain Freeman had caused the explosion that they wouldn't think someone else on her crew might be involved and just leave with her.

It'll also be interesting to see where the Rutherford revelation leads.

I’ve been wondering why Rutherford has a cybernetic implant

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Reveal hidden contents

I’ve been wondering why Rutherford has a cybernetic implant

I suppose it might explain why Rutherford seemed to have such effective combat skills despite not having any (apparent) training in the episode where he auditions for a security job.

So Cetacean Ops is first mentioned in Yesterday's Enterprise (1990), canonised as actually a real thing and not a gag in The Perfect Mate (1992) and we finally get to see it in First First Contact (2021). That's an impressive set-up and execution.

It does make me wonder if they can pull this off in live-action, maybe with CG dolphins. And in turn that makes me wonder if we're close to being able to sell a TV adaptation of the Uplift Saga.

Archived