Star Trek: All Good Threads...

SpaceChampion

I'm sitting here laughing my fucking head off. This is such a stupid idea.

Paramount+ isn't launching as a discrete service in the UK, Ireland and several other territories. It's coming out as a subsidiary channel of Sky. So you'll need to take out a Sky/NowTV sub first, typically £15 a month to get their main Entertainment package in HD, and the a probable £10 extra sub to get Paramount+.

So to watch Star Trek: Discovery, Prodigy and Strange New Worlds - and no doubt Lower Decks and Picard as well will be pulled from Amazon shortly as well - will cost £25 a month. I assume the legacy shows will follow at a later date.

In comparison, in the UK, the HD Netflix subscription is £9.99 a month, Amazon Prime is £7.99 a month and Apple TV+ is £4.99 a month.

So the cost of a Paramount+ sub will be seven times that of an Apple+ one and three and a half times a Netflix one. That is astronomically stupid.

Paramount are just begging for their shows to be pirated to hell and back.

8 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I'm sitting here laughing my fucking head off. This is such a stupid idea.

Paramount+ isn't launching as a discrete service in the UK, Ireland and several other territories. It's coming out as a subsidiary channel of Sky. So you'll need to take out a Sky/NowTV sub first, typically £25 a month to get their main Entertainment package, and the a probable £10 extra sub to get Paramount+.

So to watch Star Trek: Discovery, Prodigy and Strange New Worlds - and no doubt Lower Decks and Picard as well will be pulled from Amazon shortly as well - will cost £35 a month. I assume the legacy shows will follow at a later date.

In comparison, in the UK, the HD Netflix subscription is £9.99 a month, Amazon Prime is £7.99 a month and Apple TV+ is £4.99 a month.

So the cost of a Paramount+ sub will be seven times that of an Apple+ one and three and a half times a Netflix one. That is astronomically stupid.

Paramount are just begging for their shows to be pirated to hell and back.

I'm not disagreeing with your overall point but NowTV's entertainment package is only £10 a month at the moment.

Regardless of the price I'm not sure I like Discovery enough to subscribe to yet another service just for it.

31 minutes ago, williamjm said:

I'm not disagreeing with your overall point but NowTV's entertainment package is only £10 a month at the moment.

Regardless of the price I'm not sure I like Discovery enough to subscribe to yet another service just for it.

I slightly amended that, NowTV's Entertainment package is £10 a month but you need the £5 a month HD booster. So Paramount+ will likely launch at £25 a month (not counting any initial deals) rather than £35. I was thinking of my package, but that includes yet another premium for the Formula One (which I can cancel from next month, thankfully).

I've been one of the bigger defenders of Disco on the board and I'm still not signing up for yet another streaming service just for it. In fact it's got me hitting my breaking point on the whole state of the industry. The number of times I've tried finding something specific on any of the 5-6 different streaming platforms I'm subscribed to this year only to find it's not on any of them, or on another new one I don't have is just ridiculous.

If you can't reliably have the things I want to watch then you can jam your subscription based business model and let me buy the individual things I'm after. And by buy, I expect to own a copy, not just have access to it until you decide to retrospectively change the terms.

I skimmed this but if I understand it correctly people in In Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom can now watch the new season of Discovery for free on something called PlutoTV

https://www.startrek.com/news/star-trek-discovery-season-four-lands-on-paramount-pluto-tv-internationally

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I skimmed this but if I understand it correctly people in In Austria, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom can now watch the new season of Discovery for free on something called PlutoTV

https://www.startrek.com/news/star-trek-discovery-season-four-lands-on-paramount-pluto-tv-internationally

With adverts, apparently. Great.

1 minute ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Having reloaded Paramount+, I am caught up on Lower Decks now.  Truly this is the best Trek out there currently.

If you haven't already check out the Short Treks. The one with Jon Benjamin and the tribbles is pretty funny. 

On 11/29/2021 at 10:30 PM, Jaxom 1974 said:

Having reloaded Paramount+, I am caught up on Lower Decks now.  Truly this is the best Trek out there currently.

I agree. It didn't start too strong, but from the last few episodes of S1 it clicked for me. As a comedy it's hit or miss (and more often miss for me), but as a Star Trek show it's actually strong, maybe exactly because it doesn't take itself very seriously and lacks universe-threatening doom. Last two episodes of S2 were excellent Star Trek all-round. And a couple episodes earlier, Jeffrey Combs as evil computer was a favourite of mine.

Despite being caricatures, the characters feel more real than many of the live-action characters. i like Mariner better than Burnham.

20 minutes ago, Wouter said:

I agree. It didn't start too strong, but from the last few episodes of S1 it clicked for me. As a comedy it's hit or miss (and more often miss for me), but as a Star Trek show it's actually strong, maybe exactly because it doesn't take itself very seriously and lacks universe-threatening doom. Last two episodes of S2 were excellent Star Trek all-round. And a couple episodes earlier, Jeffrey Combs as evil computer was a favourite of mine.

Despite being caricatures, the characters feel more real than many of the live-action characters. i like Mariner better than Burnham.

Couldn't agree with you more. The live action shows, feel like event shows and less like traditional Star Trek. While Lower Decks, feels like the return of an old friend and it's really, really weird. I also agree with you about Mariner; she's a much more interesting character than Burnham and has actually made me smile on many occasions.

1 hour ago, Wouter said:

Hmmm...I think the comedy is actually enhanced by the Trekiness of the show.  I won't say every joke hits, but they're so firmly rooted in the Trek Canon, or fan perception of Canon, that I find it great. That it's specifically organic in its execution helps.  There isn't a build up to a punchline, they just keep plowing forward...

On 11/24/2021 at 11:19 PM, DaveSumm said:

Does an episode ‘dropping’ at 9pm mean it’s airing, or that it’ll be available on demand? I can’t find that anywhere. 

I haven't tried it out but apparently Pluto TV is like old school TV, i.e. the show airs at 9pm. You can buy the show on Amazon Prime, where the episodes become available once they have aired. It used to be on Netflix but no longer.

Voyager, S3 E15: Coda.   Janeway appears to die and is a ghost at her own memorial.  Ensign Kim gets up from his chair and says "I know Captain Janeway wouldn't want us to be sitting around moping."  Kim was the ONLY one inexplicably sitting down while everyone else were on their feet!  No one mentions this.

Edit:  ok, ok, in other angles you can see other crew members sitting, but not any of the bridge crew.

22 hours ago, Poobah said:

Well guess I'm not watching Discovery any more.

It's moved to Pluto TV or something outside the US, which is apparently a live broadcast service with no catchup facility.

Archived