Star Trek: All Good Threads...

SpaceChampion

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like they're going to hit that target of getting Star Trek on almost every week of the year.

The current schedule is

• Prodigy Season 1, Eps 5-10: 6 Jan-3 Feb
  • Discovery Season 4, Eps 8-11: 10 Feb-3 March
  • Picard Season 2, Eps 1-10: (maybe) 10 March-12 May
  • Strange New Worlds Season 1, Eps 1-10: (maybe) 19 May-21 July
  • Lower Decks Season 3, Eps 1-10: (maybe) 28 July-29 September

Prodigy is expected to get its second season airing before the end of 2022 as well.

That's...a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

5 episodes into Discovery's season four and the 4th and 5th episode have been... good (?).
I'm surprised, but there is a noticeable step up in quality. To be sure, much of the old flaws remain, but episode 4 distinctly felt like the Trek I fell in love with. The narrative structures have become much closer to those of TNG (parallel arcs of the characters' personal journeys, scientific mysteries and/or diplomatic missions (there's politics now, yeah!). The visuals are still excellent to say the least. And episode 4 at least had a bit of worldbuilding (something with the "new" federation, which I feel had been missing. Also, for a few moments here and there, this is finally a universe/future in which it seems like it would be amazing to be in, as there are finally opportunities and possibilities opening up for -some of- the characters beyond their ship and their job.
Dunno if the rise in quality will hold, but even a few good episodes to accompany the visuals are already something.

I caught up with the first 7 episodes of Season 4 of Discovery. I was completely caught off guard by how much better the show was. I’d kind of written it off as a ho-hum entry that wouldn’t get much better, but they actually managed to make the story exciting. Even the obvious “global pandemic” parallel is being handled reasonably well, and Burnham as Captain is finally thinking as opposed to just doing.

This finally feels like a season that belongs in Trek, fully. Pity they made it so hard to watch outside the US.

For those who are caught up, who…

Spoiler

Do you think Species TenC will turn out to be?

On 1/7/2022 at 7:55 AM, Rippounet said:

5 episodes into Discovery's season four and the 4th and 5th episode have been... good (?).

As I said in an earlier thread, I have given up on this show and I haven't wanted to just hate-watch or be negative in new threads, but you've piqued my interest a bit.

Would you say the show is less "Discovering Michael Burnham" now? That was my biggest issue before.

Did they dial back the whisper delivery of everything?
Does it have any sense of...well... discovery, now? Worldbuilding is good, some use of non-Michael characters, also good.

Still feeling some Burnhamout from my first attempt. Being cautious.

On 12/23/2021 at 11:20 PM, Werthead said:

Looks like they're going to hit that target of getting Star Trek on almost every week of the year.

The current schedule is

• Prodigy Season 1, Eps 5-10: 6 Jan-3 Feb
  • Discovery Season 4, Eps 8-11: 10 Feb-3 March
  • Picard Season 2, Eps 1-10: (maybe) 10 March-12 May
  • Strange New Worlds Season 1, Eps 1-10: (maybe) 19 May-21 July
  • Lower Decks Season 3, Eps 1-10: (maybe) 28 July-29 September

Prodigy is expected to get its second season airing before the end of 2022 as well.

That's...a lot.

Hey, I was almost right!

Discovery starts on 10 February (bullseye!), but there's a handover to Picard, which will start on 3 March, the same day Discovery ends. Then Strange New Worlds starts on 5 May, a week before Picard ends. Lower Decks has a "summer" start penned in.

All of the shows have been renewed as well: Discovery for a fifth season, Picard for a third, Strange New Worlds for a second and Lower Decks for a fourth.

This round of renewals puts Star Trek on a confirmed 46 seasons (across all the series) by the end of 2022, putting them not far off from overtaking Doctor Who (which, across all of its series, will have 50 seasons by the end of 2023).

On 1/20/2022 at 8:55 PM, Rippounet said:

Not really. Most episodes still seem to be written to answer the "how can we make Burnham look even more cool and badass" question.

Thanks for the reply. It might actually be better now that they finally put her in the captain's chair but... eh. My favorite Treks would shift the protagonist around. Seems like this just might not be for me. C'est la vie. :)

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Nice nod to Pike being a horse-rider in The Cage.

I want to be excited for this show, but I looked it up and the first episode is being written by the two of the people who wrote the 2017 Mummy film. Still it's a nice poster, I suppose.

8 minutes ago, Lightning Lord said:

Is it the same Pike as was in Discovery?

Yeah. He was also in one of the "Short Treks" which I only mention because I love that little....minisode? and no one who likes The Lower Decks should miss it.

Archived