Star Trek: All Good Threads...

SpaceChampion

Just caught up on Disco S4. Its still frustratingly patchy. I like some of the interpersonal stuff, for instance I think Burnham/Book have great chemistry together. The rest unfortunately seems to be redux of the previous seasons where a Big Bad is set up early in the season and the denouement typically tends to be a disappointment.

Also disappointed by the lack of Klingons this season, did they all disappear in the far future?

On 2/18/2022 at 12:56 PM, IheartIheartTesla said:

Also disappointed by the lack of Klingons this season, did they all disappear in the far future?

I suspect they're "resting" them so when they do the Worf show and he's back in the 1990s style makeup, it's less jarring.

21 hours ago, Werthead said:

I suspect they're "resting" them so when they do the Worf show and he's back in the 1990s style makeup, it's less jarring.

Making the Klingons look and act like orcs from the Lord of the Rings films was easily the dumbest things I've seen from New Trek. Though it all made sense when I saw some behind the scenes video, of one of Discovery's producers saying "audience are use to seeing Klingons portrayed as villains" and I was just yelling at my computer screen, "wtf". Klingons have not been villains in a long, long time. There's been a few bad ones here and there, but literally from TNG to the end of Voyager they were not not portrayed as villains at all. Yes, they were briefly evil again in seasons 4 and the early parts of season 5 of DS9, but that was it. If anything the Star Trek audience had grown use to seeing Klingons portrayed as heroes. Something the creators of Discovery clearly did not understand. 

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

Not to mention being manipulated by the Dominion as well.

They were manipulated by the network execs, as I recall. The show wasn't doing well and someone thought "lets ignore all that Dominion setup from the last finale and go back to the Klingons as the bad guys!"

Still a better idea then "lets drastically alter the design of the Klingons for no reason." 

At least DS9 addressed (sort of) the change of Klingon design from TOS to TNG, essentially with Worf saying "we do not talk about it!". The other changes in the movies and Disco seem to be over-design (Disco is probably my least favorite) - I like the clean ridged look of TNG the best.

At any rate, at the end of DS9 the Klingons were portrayed as part of an empire in decline where honor had lost its meaning and the high council was up to all kinds of shady stuff. In that sense it wouldnt be surprising if they werent a great power in the far future, but their total absence in Disco S3-4 warrants explanation.

6 hours ago, RumHam said:

They were manipulated by the network execs, as I recall. The show wasn't doing well and someone thought "lets ignore all that Dominion setup from the last finale and go back to the Klingons as the bad guys!"

Still a better idea then "lets drastically alter the design of the Klingons for no reason." 

Sort of. The network asked them not to do a cliffhanger for Season 3, which was originally going to be Homefront (with Paradise Lost as the Season 4 opener) because the ratings had gone down a bit and they wanted a rethink. Rick Berman and Ira Behr had a meeting and threw ideas around to "shake the show up" and give it a bit of a boost and a revamp. Both Berman and Paramount wanted to give the show a new "in" for new viewers, sort of a second pilot, and do something to bring in TNG fans. They very quickly came up with the idea of bringing on board a TNG regular and almost instantly settled on Worf. Behr wasn't entirely keen on the idea of bringing in a TNG character, but Worf was his favourite character from that show, his backstory suited the ethos of DS9 and he knew that Ronald D. Moore (who'd transferred in from TNG halfway through Season 3) would be elated and could get to revisit some of the Klingon stuff from that show. Also, not to be too harsh, but Michael Dorn was probably available whilst most of the rest of the cast were not.

So they decided to bring in Worf and from there they decided that they could bring back the Klingons. And it was the line from The Die is Cast after the Dominion crippled the Romulan and Cardassian fleets which they'd literally just thrown in there for the hell of it - "The only Alpha Quadrant powers now that can worry us are the Federation and Klingons, and they won't be a problem for much longer" - that gave them the impetus to bring back the Klingons and Gowron and overthrow the Khitomer Accords. But it was really only meant to be a one-season arc. It was Paramount changing their mind, allowing them to do Homefront and Paradise Lost in mid-Season 4 instead, and then the boost to the ratings which made them delay the Klingons coming back on side until mid-Season 5, but that actually worked because it mixed up the Dominion and Klingon storylines quite nicely.

It all worked out very well. Behr and Moore later said that on the one hand bringing in the Klingons took them way off-course, but also they didn't have a firm plan in mind for what they'd do after that. Not having the Klingon arc meant the Dominion War would have probably started a season early and that would have probably been too long. The Klingon complication livened up the show and threw a very uncomfortable curveball that resulted in some great stories.

I'm on to season 5 of Voyager.  Overall, I'm enjoying this series more than I expected.

In the Season 4 episode "The Omega Directive" Janeway goes full search-and-destroy mode for the substance known as the Omega particle, for which she has a secret Starfleet standing order due to it's immense destructive power, powerful enough to destroy the whole quadrant.

I didn't make the connection at the time, but the Omega Particle is mined from boronite, the same trace mineral that unknown species 10-C is using the DMA to mine from the Milky Way in the 32st century.  So that connection is kind of neat. 

Yup. I'd like to think that 10-C was the Borg, but evolved into something far different. Don't think that'll be the case, though. Could of course be someone else using Omega.

Jeri Ryan and Michelle Hurd confirmed in an interview that season 3 of Picard will be the final one.

On 2/19/2022 at 9:20 AM, Werthead said:

Alternatively I think The Lower Decks could fix it. Imagine next season they do a cold open set on the discovery and end it with Riker appearing disguised as an ensign and then saying end program. 

Ensign: Captain, the Borg ambassador is waiting.

Riker: And I'm ready for him. because of history. Also tell engineering to recalibrate the holo-arrays. the Klingons are all fucked up. 

Season 4 Episode 10

Ugh. The prologue was excruciating. The rest of the episode wasn't much better. This whole season has a very, "I'm here if you need to talk" vibe to it. I don't mind the more introspective moments but this whole season has been ridiculous. Why does the crew bust out a discussion of their favorite vacations destinations in the middle of a, "we gotta get to the thing or we're all doomed" scene? Why do they have to reveal the contents of the "eye's only" secret message like, right now? Why does the bridge crew behave in such a casual way like, all the time?

Stamets was more interesting when he was an arrogant prick.

Am I wrong or has Jett Reno only appeared in a single scene this season?

The previous seasons had a charm and an attitude that really seems to be missing this year. I really hope "Strange New Worlds" is better than this. 

9 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Am I wrong or has Jett Reno only appeared in a single scene this season?

Tig Notaro didn't feel safe flying during a pandemic but is apparently in it  "a lot".  She was suppose to have a block of filming in May 2021.

“I really thought I’d end up just going in for an episode or two. But this turned into something. Alex [Kurtzman] said, ‘We’re going to use you as much as we can get you.’

But there is only 3 episodes left i think so not sure when that's suppose to get going.

Edit:  Actually all of that are from old articles.  It's starting to look like she didn't film this season at all.  Some articles say she was suppose to be a major part of the first half of the season.

I didn’t watch any DS9 when it first came out.  But, I’ve read good things about it around here.  I tried to binge-watch it 4~5 years ago but stopped halfway through S2.  A Dax episode bored me to tears, and I never went back.

I’m now giving it another try.  I just finished S1.

The good.  Duet, easily best ep of the season, always on a top 10 DS9 episodes list.  The antagonistic relationship between Odo and Quark.  The beginnings of the friendship between Nog and Jake.  Garak.  The Jonathan Banks cameo.  The dialogues between Kira and the old farmer in Progress.

The bad.  Not enough Garak.  Several lowly rated episodes -- Dramatis Personae, Babel, If Wishes Were Horses.  Bajoran religion is given a major focus in the pilot, then it disappears until the season finale, except for one episode where the religion’s leader “dies”.  Jadzia Dax and Bashir need better characterization.  Too episodic / the longer storyarcs haven’t arrived yet.  The theme music makes me feel sleepy.

S2 has some excellent episodes. It's not a kind season for O'Brien, though. Colm Meaney just crushes the whole season. I am looking at the episode list and trying to sort when you might have dropped it and wonder if you got through "Whispers" and weren't hooked?

The only specific thing that I remember from my first attempt to binge-watch (besides Duet being a great episode) is that one frustrating Dax episode caused me to stop watching.  After reading through imdb, I realized that the offending episode is Meridian, S03E08 (not a season 2 episode like I suspected).  That episode has a 5.6 rating, so I'm not alone in my ire.

I signed up for Paramount+ and watched the first episode of Discovery S4. The show continues to balance stupid action with good character moments. (Balance may not be the right word) I guess this show's MO is to simply have an universe-ending main arc. Just got to accept that. But on that note...

Spoiler

A gravitational wave powerful enough to wreck an entire planet only sends a space station on a little tumble through space. Okaaay... I already miss The Expanse.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I signed up for Paramount+ and watched the first episode of Discovery S4. The show continues to balance stupid action with good character moments. (Balance may not be the right word) I guess this show's MO is to simply have an universe-ending main arc. Just got to accept that. But on that note...

Hide contents

A gravitational wave powerful enough to wreck an entire planet only sends a space station on a little tumble through space. Okaaay... I already miss The Expanse.

Wouldn't that...

Spoiler

Be explained by the differing distances from the anomaly? 

Archived