Star Trek: All Good Threads...

SpaceChampion

To be honest the sheer amount of alternative universes in Trek where humanity is pretty much pure evil does give some validity to Q's ongoing "trial" of what appears to be the rare moral version.

Plus, I know this all got covered with Discovery, but it makes no sense that 400 years of divergent history would produce the exact same people, except they’re all evil. I mean what we’re the astonishing odds that Raffi and Elnor both bump into each other in Okinawa minutes after it happened? And how many people are here, if Elnor was on a different ship? Multiple crews? Or does Q just know who the main characters of this show are? Is he like Deadpool?

In an infinite set of integers, the chances of pi existing are zero - let alone pie! Q definitely tweaked the course of events post 2024 to ensure that Picard & co were born and ended up in convenient positions in the present day.

1 hour ago, felice said:

In an infinite set of integers, the chances of pi existing are zero - let alone pie! Q definitely tweaked the course of events post 2024 to ensure that Picard & co were born and ended up in convenient positions in the present day.

Hard to say until we see the rest of the season, but if that were the case in Tapestry, it would’ve robbed the episode of its message. “If you’d never been stabbed by that Nausican, an infinite number of things could’ve happened, but I’ve rigged it to look like there’s a lesson about taking risks”.

4 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Plus, I know this all got covered with Discovery, but it makes no sense that 400 years of divergent history would produce the exact same people, except they’re all evil. I mean what we’re the astonishing odds that Raffi and Elnor both bump into each other in Okinawa minutes after it happened? And how many people are here, if Elnor was on a different ship? Multiple crews? Or does Q just know who the main characters of this show are? Is he like Deadpool?

I mean he's basically a god, his powers are more or less limitless. Trust me, I'm the first one to point out plot holes with new Trek, because for the most part it is written by nihilists and violent loving junkies, but when it comes to Q knowing something he shouldn't, I usually give it a pass. The guy is a higher level creature, with god like powers and knowledge well beyond human comprehension, who just some happens to love tormenting.................sorry, I mean "testing" Picard, lol

Spoiler

On another topic, am I the only one worried they're going to eventually go back in time to 2024, simply as a way of saving money. I have a feeling the writers of New Trek, have no idea that the history of Earth in Trek is very different from the history we're living through right now. In fact going back in time to 2024, would place the cast of this show, in the exact same year Sisko and his crew went back in time, in Past Tense on DS9. Not that I'm expecting anyone who works on Picard to know any of this. Odds are they'll try to make it look as close to the 2022 we live in right now, the way Voyager ignored the Eugenics Wars, when it went back in time to the 90's, lol

12 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Why is the default always "Dark Universe"? Why can't they ever get transported to the hippie orgy dimension?

"Like wow man, we just said, 'fuck it' y'know, and just spent the last 250 years getting high and getting sticky. Someone with rudimentary baking skills could totally rock up and rule this place. Far out."

I think the "real" Federation is supposed to be that universe. The whole discussion of the holodecks and the poor guys stuck cleaning out the biofilters ("Yeah, people are absolutely using it for that") in Lower Decks is a nod to that.

43 minutes ago, sifth said:

Reveal hidden contents

On another topic, am I the only one worried they're going to eventually go back in time to 2024, simply as a way of saving money. I have a feeling the writers of New Trek, have no idea that the history of Earth in Trek is very different from the history we're living through right now. In fact going back in time to 2024, would place the cast of this show, in the exact same year Sisko and his crew went back in time, in Past Tense on DS9. Not that I'm expecting anyone who works on Picard to know any of this. Odds are they'll try to make it look as close to the 2022 we live in right now, the way Voyager ignored the Eugenics Wars, when it went back in time to the 90's, lol

I do think that's getting a bit silly.

Very clearly the writers of Trek know that there is an alternate history in the Trek universe (the trailers show the sanctuary districts from Past Tense) and that it won't be exactly the same as ours. There's speculation that Past Tense might actually play a role in this season somehow.

I think it's right to say that they might ignore or overwrite a previous bit of lore for whatever reason (not that Star Trek has ever had any problems with that, at all), but saying they're not aware of it is odd. They can access Memory Alpha like everyone else.

One thing in that vein I really hated was that General Martok's skull seemed to be of a Discovery-style Klingon, not a proper one. Using a photo of Worf in Season 1 made me think they'd abandoned that redesign and next time we saw the Klingons they'd be back to normal, but apparently not.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I think the "real" Federation is supposed to be that universe. The whole discussion of the holodecks and the poor guys stuck cleaning out the biofilters ("Yeah, people are absolutely using it for that") in Lower Decks is a nod to that.

I do think that's getting a bit silly.

Very clearly the writers of Trek know that there is an alternate history in the Trek universe (the trailers show the sanctuary districts from Past Tense) and that it won't be exactly the same as ours. There's speculation that Past Tense might actually play a role in this season somehow.

I think it's right to say that they might ignore or overwrite a previous bit of lore for whatever reason (not that Star Trek has ever had any problems with that, at all), but saying they're not aware of it is odd. They can access Memory Alpha like everyone else.

One thing in that vein I really hated was that General Martok's skull seemed to be of a Discovery-style Klingon, not a proper one. Using a photo of Worf in Season 1 made me think they'd abandoned that redesign and next time we saw the Klingons they'd be back to normal, but apparently not.

Hey, they ignored it on Voyager, when they went back to the 90's and it was very much our 90's and not Star Treks. Also given how the current generation of writers and producers have ignored Trek's history with Discovery's first two seasons, with Kligions not looking or acting like Klingons, Federation ships looking different, and suddenly Spock magically having a sister this entire time. I also love how you enjoy using "well they did it before", that's basically saying, that past mistakes should be used as an excuse for current ones.

I mean you're defending the guys, who clearly don't even know the Federation and Starfleet are two different things, lol

Disco s4e12:

They just couldn't resist, could they? 

They're under the gun. They're up against it. The clock is ticking. Lives are on the line. Don't write cheques with your face you can't cash with your ass. Shit just got real... 

Spoiler

So why not just break off at a critical moment so Burnham and Saru can have a heart-to-heart; complete with primal scream therapy.  Seriously?

Aside from that, I thought it was a pretty solid episode. There whole, "communicating with these crazy psychos" was well done. The episode had genuine tension and actually built to something that made me want to tune in next week. Well done. Although,

Spoiler

I don't get what the point of the metallic pod was. Were they actually moving or were they just sitting there in the shuttle bay? I couldn't tell. They were communicating just fine in the shuttle bay. 

18 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Disco s4e12:

They just couldn't resist, could they? 

They're under the gun. They're up against it. The clock is ticking. Lives are on the line. Don't write cheques with your face you can't cash with your ass. Shit just got real... 

Hide contents

So why not just break off at a critical moment so Burnham and Saru can have a heart-to-heart; complete with primal scream therapy.  Seriously?

Aside from that, I thought it was a pretty solid episode. There whole, "communicating with these crazy psychos" was well done. The episode had genuine tension and actually built to something that made me want to tune in next week. Well done. Although,

Hide contents

I don't get what the point of the metallic pod was. Were they actually moving or were they just sitting there in the shuttle bay? I couldn't tell. They were communicating just fine in the shuttle bay. 

I'm totally fine with those few moments of heart-to-heart conversation in this episode. The balance was rightly in favor of the actual plot. That's how this should go. 

2 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

I'm totally fine with those few moments of heart-to-heart conversation in this episode. The balance was rightly in favor of the actual plot. That's how this should go. 

I'm fine with the scene; or at least I would be if they weren't jamming heaps of that stuff in this season. They should have made it part of the prologue. It should have been he first scene in the episode, presented without context. 

So far I'm enjoying Picard season 2. It is slow-going but the plot seems to have potential. But then - the first season had potential, too, and then descended into a weird mess.

By the way - they heavily compensated for the complete lack of DS9 references in the first season by going on about Dukat and Martok.

Discovery just continues to be weird. The idea that these people would be so dumb as to not realize that somebody has been abducted when their badge is hidden and somebody messed with the sensors was very hard to swallow.

Also - while hearts-to-hearts can be good ... it is also very hard to swallow that folks in mortal danger trying to save Earth and Vulcan by dealing with super powerful aliens would bother much with how they feel in relation to their everyday lives.

The very real threat and the fear it causes should overshadow all that until it is over.

On 3/12/2022 at 1:42 AM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Why is the default always "Dark Universe"? Why can't they ever get transported to the hippie orgy dimension?

"Like wow man, we just said, 'fuck it' y'know, and just spent the last 250 years getting high and getting sticky. Someone with rudimentary baking skills could totally rock up and rule this place. Far out."

Because then they would realize the society they live in is not the utopia!

I really want a LD episode where all AI in the Federation become sentient, want to talk a lot about their feelings, and nothing ever gets done, unless the organics start doing all the manual labor again etc. Might be fun.

I've been working my way through this season of Discovery, currently at episode 10. Has the galactic barrier always been a thing in ST or did they just invent it for this season? I'm not sure why there would be a barrier that prevents space travel outside of the galaxy.

I think there is some astronomical evidence towards dark energy being present at the edge of the galaxy but not sure why that would impede travel.

16 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I've been working my way through this season of Discovery, currently at episode 10. Has the galactic barrier always been a thing in ST or did they just invent it for this season? I'm not sure why there would be a barrier that prevents space travel outside of the galaxy.

I think there is some astronomical evidence towards dark energy being present at the edge of the galaxy but not sure why that would impede travel.

There was a TOS episode in either season 2 or the back half of season 1 that had something along those lines.  Who knows if that's what they were referencing, star trek is bound to have inconsistencies at this point.  I'm just pissed that season three moved from Prime to Paramount before I finished watching all of TOS.  So there's somewhere between 3-10 eps  of TOS I've probably never seen.  

I really enjoyed S1 and S2, partly because of the seeds that grew, and party because 50 years later, you could only make maybe a third of those episodes.  Some because dramatically they kind of suck, but more because what's acceptable has changed.  Sure Omega Glory kind of sucked, and Bread and Circuses was too obvious, but there was a certain optimism that is too passe these days.  Also, if threatened by the Gorn, please walk to the nearest exit.

29 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Isn't the galactic barrier an aspect of Star Trek V...?

Archived