Star Trek: All Good Threads...

SpaceChampion

The fact that nobody on Discovery developed god-like powers was a pretty big letdown. There is a reason why folks do not cross the Galactic Barrier, and while the Discovery crew couldn't know about those originally, they would have learned about that from the archives.

At least, the Mitchell incident should have come up as a potential problem, with folks referencing it and figuring out a way to avoid something like that. Or at least tell the audience that the problem has been taken care of in the last couple of centuries.

Not sure what they're doing, but they've cast an actor as Kirk for the second season of Strange New Worlds.

I hadn't realized season one begins about year 8 out of 15 years that Pike captains Enterprise.  So potentially they can do a 7 season show and his last year would align correctly.  But is Anson Mount leaving or nah?  I hope not.

Apparently both Kirks unintentionally were seated next to each other on a flight to L.A. 

One would assume that Kirk either shows up with another ship or joins the crew of the Enterprise or even captains the ship for a brief time like Pike did with Discovery, since chances are very low that they make a show about Pike's stint on the Enterprise only to get rid of him after the first season.

On 3/15/2022 at 3:13 AM, Corvinus85 said:

I've been working my way through this season of Discovery, currently at episode 10. Has the galactic barrier always been a thing in ST or did they just invent it for this season? I'm not sure why there would be a barrier that prevents space travel outside of the galaxy.

I think there is some astronomical evidence towards dark energy being present at the edge of the galaxy but not sure why that would impede travel.

Yes, there's an energy barrier around the exterior of the galaxy and a second barrier around the galactic core. Some speculation that the God-entity Kirk encounters in Star Trek V was imprisoned in our galaxy by some unknown force with two layers of barriers around it, but people generally don't want to give Star Trek V that much importance.

There's two episodes of TOS that use the barrier, Where No Man Has Ever Gone Before and By Any Other Name. When they rejigged the scale of the galaxy in TNG, they basically made it impossible to get to the barrier easily from the Federation (it's 1,000 light-years from Federation space "straight up" or "straight down", about a year at Voyager's speed). It appears frequently in spin-off material.

What a shock

Spoiler

The 2024 portrayed in Picard this week looks just like the world we live in, not the Star Trek 2024 shown in DS9. I'm totally shocked by this unforscene turn of events.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Yes, there's an energy barrier around the exterior of the galaxy and a second barrier around the galactic core.

Not just any run-of-the-mill energy barrier, but a negative energy barrier. Weirdly enough (something i discovered just now), there have been theoretical warp drives proposed using negative energy, such as here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

I finished Discovery. Overall an enjoyable season. I feel it had a strong ending that felt like Star Trek and the season was more worthy of the show's title. I wish they stopped with the silly flying camera movement whenever they have their flash brainstorming sessions.

As to the cameo at the end.

Spoiler

Well she may not have become governor of Georgia, but president of Earth has a nice ring to it. In the words of Jean-Luc Picard "make it so" :P

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I finished Discovery. Overall an enjoyable season. I feel it had a strong ending that felt like Star Trek and the season was more worthy of the show's title. I wish they stopped with the silly flying camera movement whenever they have their flash brainstorming sessions.

As to the cameo at the end.

Hide contents

Well she may not have become governor of Georgia, but president of Earth has a nice ring to it. In the words of Jean-Luc Picard "make it so" :P

Yeah, the spirit of this season was correct. Hopefully, it only gets better from here. Wonder if we’ll get more of the 10C.

I'm annoyed with the narrative choice in Picard.

Spoiler

Why kill off the potential walking trope of an alien in present day America? (nearly present day)

Unless the Borg Queen starts taking strolls in downtown LA. 

And isn't Picard's home in France?

8 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I'm annoyed with the narrative choice in Picard.

Hide contents

Why kill off the potential walking trope of an alien in present day America? (nearly present day)

Unless the Borg Queen starts taking strolls in downtown LA. 

And isn't Picard's home in France?

Not gonna use a spoiler to answer...

1. Why use an alien as a metaphor when you can use a more direct example?  

2. Nothing says they're not in France with the ship...

As to commentary that the LA of 2024 isn't very reflective of the 2024 depicted in DS9...we haven't seen too much of it yet, so the jury is still out.  

And why did they need the Borg Queen to make their calculations? Was this time altered Seven no longer capable?

4 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

As to commentary that the LA of 2024 isn't very reflective of the 2024 depicted in DS9...we haven't seen too much of it yet, so the jury is still out.  

And why did they need the Borg Queen to make their calculations? Was this time altered Seven no longer capable?

I guess I didn't realize that they could have teleported to LA from France. It's probably because they were talking about power issues that I assumed they had to be closer than the other side of the globe.

26 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I mean we saw poor people in a LA and according to the plot of the DS9 2 parter that shouldn’t be possible. They would have been rounded up into one of the zones for processing. Sorry, but looks a lot like the LA in our world though.

28 minutes ago, sifth said:

I mean we saw poor people in a LA and according to the plot of the DS9 2 parter that shouldn’t be possible. They would have been rounded up into one of the zones for processing. Sorry, but looks a lot like the LA in our world though.

I don't remember what was going on in the DS9 episodes. I am not surprised that LA here looks like the real one and not the expected one in a 90s TV show. But maybe we shouldn't be hasty. What if that whole rounding up of poor people is going to happen and it's among the things caused by the time divergence?

The area that Seven and Raffi ended up in certainly had the feel of a proto zone that was depicted.

Now I wonder if the time divergence that has to be stopped is somehow tied to DS9 and we'll see some sort of shenanigans from that two parter played out...maybe in a manner similar to how they did the DS9 tribble episode...

On 3/18/2022 at 11:09 AM, Corvinus85 said:

I don't remember what was going on in the DS9 episodes. I am not surprised that LA here looks like the real one and not the expected one in a 90s TV show. But maybe we shouldn't be hasty. What if that whole rounding up of poor people is going to happen and it's among the things caused by the time divergence?

I'll believe it when I see it. The current writing team has a reputation for not respecting Trek history and simply cherry picking certain things from it, to fit their narrative.

Also what your saying in and of itself is a plot hole, because we're told in that DS9 episode that Bell's actions ended the consecration camps for poor people in 2024, which implies that they started up before then.

To me this whole time travel thing, just feels like a way for the production team to save money, by being able to just film in normal world LA.

5 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I guess I didn't realize that they could have teleported to LA from France.

No you were right, Picard says “here in LA” while on the ship. No idea where they actually are specifically.

The Bell Riots episode was set in San Francisco, not LA, so could be some disparity between cities, although I suspect they’ve just pushed back events once again. 

For some reason last weeks episode I was kinda on board with, but I switched back to being really down on the show again this week. They’ve already presented what the season arc will be, so it felt too obviously like stalling. When the fuck has assimilating worked like that, and how did Jurati know exactly down to the percentages how it’d work? What sort of dialogue is “Kevin’s not funner than me”? Why was Raffi dialled up to 15 over Elnor and everyone else didn’t really care? Frustrating episode that didn’t really get anyway. 

Just finished Disco S4

The season started strong and ended pretty strong, but man there was a lot of junk in between. I really hope next season is better. I'll still watch but I'm getting less invested as time goes on. I don't even care about spoilers anymore. 

Why the hell do they have a fireplace in Ten-Forward? Is it natural gas or do they have a lumber room on the ship somewhere?

Book should be in prison like, forever. 

Sigh. The Klingons...

Archived