Star Trek: All Good Threads...

SpaceChampion

3 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Why the hell do they have a fireplace in Ten-Forward? Is it natural gas or do they have a lumber room on the ship somewhere?

It's a hologram, I assume.

Couldn't wrap my head around the ridiculous finale plot of Discovery which effectively not only has the equivalent of a smart rat figure out how the heating device of super-advanced civilization works, but also be able to try to successfully destroy/steal its power source with the super-advanced civilization folks being right there and unable to stop it.

They could at least have had the grace to reveal in the end that the 10-C could have always stopped Tarka but chose not to because they wanted to see what their visitors would actually do. That way the plot could have worked to a point - and it would have been the kind of thing that happened in a lot of episodes of TOS with super-advanced civilizations. But not the way as presented.

But then we still have the problem of the general setting of the season - a super-advanced civilization honestly not being aware that their mining device does destroy entire planets and star systems. That also doesn't make much sense. Folks as advanced as the 10-C are should have been aware of what was going on in the galaxy.

A good way to make that part of the plot better would have been to make the 10-C actually extra-galactic beings who just came to the Galactic Barrier to do their mining business and then move on - giving little to no thought to whoever might live there. After all, if advanced life in the 10-C galaxy was more or less like them, i.e. very different from the life in our galaxy, then the idea that they would have needed more context and actual contact with our guys to realize they were not just lower animals.

There's a Sanctuary District sign in this last episode of Picard. One of the ICE officers also asks Rios if he has a UHC card, which is the ID card used to access services in the Sanctuary District in Past Tense.

There does seem to be a difference in that LA's Sanctuary District is not walled off yet, and is not as large as San Francisco's. 

I havent finished Disco S4 yet, but at this point I'm not sure I care. I've read enough about it to glean that the season in its entirety will be patchy as expected. One of the harsher, but true comments I've read on the internet that S4 feels like a two-parter on TNG stretched out to an entire season. I think it has a lot of truth to it, consider the depiction of Species 10C to the Borg, for instance (not that far fetched, since the former didnt seem to fully grasp the concept of individuality from what I've read). Best of Both Worlds manages to convey the menace of the Borg, have the crew grapple with an existential threat (cube invading Earth), have interpersonal drama AND resolve it in two episodes. Keeping 10-C off screen for so long was always going to result in a disappointing denouement.

Bringing me to Picard S2, they've managed to tell new stories with the same pieces as before (Borg and Q), rather than create a Big Bad threatening the galaxy/universe/multiverse, which leaves us not caring much about it. I was hooked with what little I saw of Picard. Helps that I think the caliber of actors on it is better too.

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I havent finished Disco S4 yet, but at this point I'm not sure I care. I've read enough about it to glean that the season in its entirety will be patchy as expected. One of the harsher, but true comments I've read on the internet that S4 feels like a two-parter on TNG stretched out to an entire season. I think it has a lot of truth to it, consider the depiction of Species 10C to the Borg, for instance (not that far fetched, since the former didnt seem to fully grasp the concept of individuality from what I've read). Best of Both Worlds manages to convey the menace of the Borg, have the crew grapple with an existential threat (cube invading Earth), have interpersonal drama AND resolve it in two episodes. Keeping 10-C off screen for so long was always going to result in a disappointing denouement.

Bringing me to Picard S2, they've managed to tell new stories with the same pieces as before (Borg and Q), rather than create a Big Bad threatening the galaxy/universe/multiverse, which leaves us not caring much about it. I was hooked with what little I saw of Picard. Helps that I think the caliber of actors on it is better too.

A bit overstated but yeah, that season didn't need to be 13 episodes. 

I finished S2 E3 of Picard last night and I have to say my enthusiasm is low. 

I'm tellin' ya that Borg Queen's up to something... 

I'm a bit more bullish about S2 Picard. For instance, they have already created a mystery that has much of the internet buzzing about who this person/character is (something Disco could learn a lot from). The pace is maybe more breakneck than classic Trek, but at some point hopefully the characters will sit in front of a view screen and analyze.

On 3/19/2022 at 8:24 PM, DaveSumm said:

Is anyone here watching both shows? It feels like two overlapping conversations at the moment. Can’t really watch Discovery in the UK still so that’s my excuse. 

I picked up Discovery on Amazon Prime (for a nominal fee), as otherwise avoiding spoilers was getting too tough.

For my money, easily the best season of Discovery so far, although still somewhat flawed.

So they're telling me that they can transport matter at the speed of light around the planet, but their communicators require relays. oookaay.

This episode barely advanced the plot. Rios's rescue should have been resolved this episode.

The Borg Queen seems way too human in her speech.

Yeah, this was easily my least favorite episode of S2: Picard. The plot didnt move at all. and I wasnt feeling the new-look Guinan. Also, someone will have to reconcile the 19th century, 21st century and 24th century Guinan somehow..

The one comment I wanted to make about the show is just how passive Picard has been up to this point (his crewmates seem to do most of the heavy lifting, true even in S1). I couldnt tell you any single action he performed until Ep 4, to be honest. He did have a bit more of a non-passive role IMO in this episode. Not that it deters from my enjoyment of it, but just an observation.

3 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Yeah, this was easily my least favorite episode of S2: Picard. The plot didnt move at all. and I wasnt feeling the new-look Guinan. Also, someone will have to reconcile the 19th century, 21st century and 24th century Guinan somehow.

This is a Guinan who doesn't know Picard, because the 24th Century Picard of the current timeline is the genocidal Confederate general who never travelled back in time to the 19th Century to meet her. It would have been nice if that had been addressed in the episode, though!

4 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

and I wasnt feeling the new-look Guinan. Also, someone will have to reconcile the 19th century, 21st century and 24th century Guinan somehow..

It would’ve been nice if they’d even attempted to have her act like Guinan. Measured, thoughtful, wise, patient … nope, not here.

I really miss Starfleet. Raffi’s murdered a bunch of people, broke the law, and generally conducts herself about as far from a Starfleet commander as is possible.

My theory for the ending:

Spoiler

Jarati keeps getting closer to the Queen, gets assimilated and forms a hive mind of two, goes back to the future to save everyone by summoning Picard / Stargazer to her portal,  except she needs to tell Picard to ‘look up’ to reassure him that it’s all part of the plan cos that’s what his Mum said, so he doesn’t blow up the ship, and everyone’s saved. 

11 minutes ago, felice said:

This is a Guinan who doesn't know Picard, because the 24th Century Picard of the current timeline is the genocidal Confederate general who never travelled back in time to the 19th Century to meet her. It would have been nice if that had been addressed in the episode, though!

Not sure about that, as we’re three days out from the split apparently. And presumably they’ll succeed and then it will be the same timeline all along.

I can’t really remember what they told Guinan in that episode though, should she know his name?

EDIT: In fact, I know it was a joke, but Bus Punk seemed to remember that Spock nerve-gripped him, which also wouldn’t have happened.

12 minutes ago, felice said:

Does that track...?  Something seems off with that...but it's time travel, so my head hurts...

Everything till the divergence should be the same, so the Mark Twain Guinan I would imagine should look the same as 2024 LA Guinan (although why she would make the move from the clearly superior SF area to that most wretched hive of scum and villainy is beyond me)

Although, thinking about it a bit more, I too am not sure if the 19th century meeting took place. Its in the past so it should not be affected by events AFTER the divergence, right? Right?

51 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Everything till the divergence should be the same, so the Mark Twain Guinan I would imagine should look the same as 2024 LA Guinan (although why she would make the move from the clearly superior SF area to that most wretched hive of scum and villainy is beyond me)

Although, thinking about it a bit more, I too am not sure if the 19th century meeting took place. Its in the past so it should not be affected by events AFTER the divergence, right? Right?

It depends how wibbly-wobbly and timey-wimey the time travel rules are

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

My theory for the ending:

Hide contents

Jarati keeps getting closer to the Queen, gets assimilated and forms a hive mind of two, goes back to the future to save everyone by summoning Picard / Stargazer to her portal,  except she needs to tell Picard to ‘look up’ to reassure him that it’s all part of the plan cos that’s what his Mum said, so he doesn’t blow up the ship, and everyone’s saved. 

Spoiler

You're suggesting that the skin tight, leather wrapped, masked and hooded Queen in episode one is Jarati?

22 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:
  Hide contents

You're suggesting that the skin tight, leather wrapped, masked and hooded Queen in episode one is Jarati?

Spoiler

Doesn’t really have to be her body, seeing as the queen is sans a body right now anyway. But there’s clearly a reason her face was concealed, and she’s already on her way to merging with the queen. 

Archived