Star Trek: All Good Threads...

SpaceChampion

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so here's my pitch for a star trek 80's slasher episode: 

It starts with kids in the woods drinking and whatnot and they see a meteor land and investigate they find some weird alien orb glowing in a crater and poke at it.

Someone goes to pee while the other foolishly touches the alien artifact. So the girl who went to pee comes back and sees her boyfriend being carried off by some alien, and it's Data and she freaks out and runs back to her friends. 

So the episode would maintain the perspective of the helpless teens as they were "killed" one by one but really they were being captured and shuttled up (interference field!) to the enterprise to avoid some alien contagion from the alien meteor or nanocloud or whatever. 

The Star Trek: The Motion Picture Director's Cut is getting a 4K/HD re-release, though probably not until next year. The Directors Cut originally came out on DVD in 2002 and was widely praised for its much better pacing, with director Robert Wise able to go back and cut the film as he'd originally intended (but hadn't been able to, as they ran out of time). Lots of the interminable effects sequences are trimmed and some important character scenes were reinstated, and some of the less-clear effects scenes were replaced by CGI. The DVD was deleted a few years later and has not been available since.

That's good news. I hope they get around to remastering the other films as well (Wrath of Khan was given a very nice HD remaster a few years back), as they're starting to look rather ropey. Search for Spock could certainly do with a spruce-up to the Spacedock scenes, which have picked up some obvious greenscreen artifacts.

On 7/14/2021 at 12:36 PM, SpaceChampion said:

48!  damn, Wesley is younger than me by only half a year.  :ack:

To be fair… Patrick Stewart looks basically the same now as he did at 48.

16 hours ago, Rhom said:

To be fair… Patrick Stewart looks basically the same now as he did at 48.

I think that gag still worked as recently as ten years ago, but not really any more. His voice has definitely deserted him and he is looking quite a bit frailer than he did. Still looking very good for 81, but he now looks older than William Shatner does at 90.

2 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

The youtube trailer for season 2 of Lower Decks seems to be region blocked so watched it here instead:
https://ca.startrek.com/videos/watch-star-trek-lower-decks-season-2-trailer

The Prodigy trailer is right after it.

Holy shit! 

Spoiler

Tom Paris

is back! Kind of!

Also, Cardassians! Norsicans!

I'm really more enthusiastic about the animated shows at this point. Maybe my hopes for Picard and Discovery were too high, but Lower Decks is turning out to be a fun show in the Trek universe, while Prodigy seems visually stunning at least (might try to get my son into it).

I didn't really know anything about Prodigy before today other than that Janeway was in it. I see now that she's

an Emergency Training Hologram on an otherwise abandoned federation ship in the delta quadrant. huh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The first two episodes of Lower Decks have been outstanding.

Spoiler

A Tamarian security chief has great promise as well.

On 8/17/2021 at 12:52 AM, Mindwalker said:

Oh joy. One of the most multi-faceted (multiest-faceted?!), lively, well-acted Voyager characters will feature in Prodigy!

https://trekmovie.com/2021/08/15/another-star-trek-voyager-star-reveals-star-trek-prodigy-appearance/

He'll come on to whinge about his job for five years (whilst accepting the pay cheque) and then abruptly disappear at the end.

Bloody hell, the latest Lower Decks is just a never-ending treasure trove of callbacks to the earlier series. Almost every frame has absolute tons of references to things.

The most obvious one: the giant skeleton with the Starfleet uniform is the corpse of "big Spock" from the Animated Series episode The Infinite Vulcan. But the probe from The Inner Light is in there, Sisko's baseball, Data's portrait of Spock, the Mars Curiosity Rover, the Gorn skeleton from Discovery, Odo's bucket, a salt vampire corpse, Riker's trombone, and a ketracel white container among many others.

I'm actually shocked with how much I've been enjoying Lower Decks. About a year ago, I would have thought this show would be Trek at it's worst, but it really is made with a lot of love and care. Discovery season 3 was surprisingly alright for me. It wasn't great and still has a lot of problems that haven't been fixed, but over I think it was a step in the right direction. 

Archived