Where is the quote from GRRM that the Dance of Dragons might not happen in Westeros?

Egged

I've seen it mentioned a few times that George said the dance of dragons wouldn't necessarily happen after Dany invades Westeros, indicating it may be more about her having to fight against one or both of her wild dragons.

Anyone knows where the quote can be found?

11 hours ago, The Young Maester said:

I don’t think he has even mentioned that a dance will happen.

I dunno man. The original dance of dragons had dragons, not just 3. So if Aegon or Brown Benn, or Jamie, or Tyrion or Euron, or Jon, or Cercei or whoever gets his legs around Rhaegal or Viserion's neck and survives, we're at best looking at 2 dragon fights. That's not a second Dance of Dragons. I don't know what people mean when they say they're looking forward to the second dance of dragons, unless they expect that a lot more dragons and riders are going to enter the scene from somewhere.

maybe the moon's going to crack open or something...

He said in 2003 that the second Dance "will be the subject of a book" https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1248

I'm guessing he thought he would be further along by the time he reached that title. 

I think the 2nd dance starts with Dany's rule in Meereen and continues to the end. So from Quentyn/Dorne to Aegon/Dorne to North/Jon. It would make more sense to be one long saga than just a mini-plot involving a few chapters. It's substantive enough for a whole book.

On 3/14/2021 at 11:19 PM, Egged said:

I've seen it mentioned a few times that George said the dance of dragons wouldn't necessarily happen after Dany invades Westeros, indicating it may be more about her having to fight against one or both of her wild dragons.

Anyone knows where the quote can be found?

He is it in 2006.

"The second Dance of Dragons does not have to mean Dany's invasion.

SSM: http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Comic_Con_San_Diego_CA_July_20_232/

George has confirmed that there will be a second Dance of the Dragons.

In relation to pre-Dance talks one should expect George's hints to have something to do with the book title 'A Dance with Dragons', referencing the simple fact that ADwD didn't get Daenerys to Westeros, and whatever 'dance' that book covered had nothing to do with her invasion.

As it turned out, it referenced Quentyn being killed by the dragons.

But of course Aegon and Dany are going to dance in some fashion if Aegon isn't killed before her arrival. They will either unite or their will fight each other.

Thanks for the quote!

Part of what was supposed to be in ADwD was left for the next book, so there may have been a bit more.

My understanding is that a "dance of dragons" = the damage dragons cause. So if he says the dance doesn't start with Dany's invasion, one may conclude it starts in Essos itself.

When we have two dragons whom Dany could not control who are now flying about freely, and there is no indication that they would suddenly listen to Dany again. And we have Victarion/Moqorro coming with Dragonbinder.

I have to imagine that the two wild dragons are going to do a lot of damage, and either Dany will have to confront them directly to retake control of them, or kill one or both, or someone will take control of them with Dragonbinder. The later was usually seen as an outcome that would play out against Dany, but not if she has lost control of them to begin with; whoever manages to control them could be a potential ally, so better them controlling them than losing them or having to kill them outright.

Aegon is rolling around Westeros, Dany lands, the two are not initially enemies. Aegon comes to ride Rheagal. Behind the scenes antagonists make their play (convince Dany Aegon is an imposter) and it becomes apparent the realm isn't big enough for both a dragon king and dragon queen. Out breaks the second dance, Dany wins, slayer of lies. Simple stuff.

Archived