Watch, Watched, Watching: Coming 2 America is the reward for our sinful life

Veltigar

On 4/2/2021 at 5:35 PM, RumHam said:

I read they just put the original Clone Wars 2D cartoon on Disney+. It's considered non-canon now but still pretty awesome. 

Season 1 and the first 1 or 2 episodes of Season 2 of Clone Wars (2D) have to be canon. The Clone Wars starts Anakin as a Jedi Knight with long hair, and Ventress and Grievous are established. It feels like everything up to Anakin visiting Padme with the scar is still canon. I hope so. I'm pretty sure that everything except Anakin and Obi Wan's story is also canon because there is a mention of Shaak Ti protecting Palpatine on Coruscant too.

Just now, DireWolfSpirit said:

Watched Invictus with Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon.

It's a great period piece where Mandela tries to lead his people to move beyond apartheid.

Morgan Freeman is always the president. 

Invictus. Deep Impact. Angel Has Fallen.

And I’m going to cheat and say he is the president of the surviving humans in Oblivion.  

He would be too "Presidential" to actually play Obama though lol.

Which gets me wondering who would be a good onscreen Obama?

Denzel, Idris E., Freeman, none of these A listers seem quite right for that part. Wonder who would be perfect?

On 3/26/2021 at 12:38 AM, Tywin et al. said:

That was fun too, but I was mostly thinking of the very last line said in the series.

I wish more of the Oscar pics were easy to get at, but Promising Young Woman just became available on demand. I don't want to say too much because of how new it is, but I'd recommend it to all regardless of your tastes in film. Carey Mulligan is such a good actress.

I watched it a few weeks ago and it's really stayed with me. I've also had that Paris Hilton song in my head. Anyways so much of it tracks, particularly the scene in Bo Burnham's office. 

34 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

I watched it a few weeks ago and it's really stayed with me. I've also had that Paris Hilton song in my head. Anyways so much of it tracks, particularly the scene in Bo Burnham's office. 

It's a very good film, and perhaps it's better on a second or third viewing when you can notice details you may have overlooked. Hasn't stayed with me in the same way, but

Spoiler

holy fuck the last 5-10 minutes are incredible. 

17 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Ayekhrumba!!!!

I just googled that. Your serious.

Is Rihanna playing Michelle then? Might as well double down stupid on it.

So, while I'm not saying he's Oscar-level, Drake did start out as an actor. And it's not like other hip hop artists haven't made the transition to film. I feel like maybe you protest a little too much.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's a very good film, and perhaps it's better on a second or third viewing when you can notice details you may have overlooked. Hasn't stayed with me in the same way, but

Reveal hidden contents

holy fuck the last 5-10 minutes are incredible. 

I expect that generally it will have a different impact on women compared to men. I also never need to see it again. 

4 hours ago, kairparavel said:

So, while I'm not saying he's Oscar-level, Drake did start out as an actor. And it's not like other hip hop artists haven't made the transition to film. I feel like maybe you protest a little too much.

I dunno I think playing Obama is a part id like to see a serious drama actor in, like someone that's can do Broadway or been to a top acting school or a few good movies already.

Not saying he couldn't do it, (have serious doubts he can be a convincing Obama) I mean look at Sacha Baron Cohen an how he's been able to play straight parts. After Borat I wouldn't have pictured it. Then again Sacha's an Oxford or Cambridge grad or something so I kind of get him having that serious side.

I mean Drakes a recording artist that has to resort to auto tune and I don't think he plays any instruments, can he read music? There's not much there that I'm confident in.

You said he started in acting, was it Disney? Anyways if he plays the part I hope he's better at it than he is as a musical artist.

T-Pain loves to use auto tune to a hip-hop beat do you think he would make a good Obama as well?

I think he makes about as much sense for the part as Drake does.

To be clear it's not like there's a project in production/development with Drake attached to play Obama.  Drake said he'd like to play Obama, Obama was asked about it, and he gave his seal of approval (and more importantly, his daughters').  It was entirely hypothetical and at least somewhat tongue-in-cheek.

Riviera on Amazon (think it's a Sundance show) is terrible... it's also addicting. One of those shows with stupidly rich people doing really terrible things for little reason but wearing nice clothes in nice places. Perfect backdrop for a lazy day where I play some video games.

4 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I'm not defending Drake or his acting chops, but each point you made starts with "I don't know this about Drake, but.."

Right, I know little of whatever Drake has acted in. My skepticism comes from his appearance,  he"s too heavy to play the slender Obama convincingly. And further my skepticism stems from he cant even sing without electronic aid so he likely hasn't developed  another "hidden craft" when the craft he's rich and famous for is sketchy and lucky that his audience doesnt care whether he can sing, read music or play an instrument.

Whomever plays Obama should be able to deliver a Kingsley as Gandhi, Will Smith as Ali, Oldham as Churchill level acting. Could Drake do it? 

Anything possible I suppose. I just know he doesn't engender much confidence out of me he's that guy, despite Sasha and Mahalia's confidence in him.

I could be wrong I mean that's why you have to see the performance to really know I suppose.

Eta: Have decided to further poll our Easter dinner audience on this topic. Shall report my findings whether they are in agreement or if they too are on the Drake bandwagon. 

Happy Easter Westerosi.

I studied karate for years as a kid and love films about martial arts, but The Last Dragon was a lot to take in, lol. It's terrible, but the good kind of terrible. Don't need to see it again, but it was worth the $3. 

Archived