Watch, Watched, Watching: Coming 2 America is the reward for our sinful life

Veltigar

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I studied karate for years as a kid and love films about martial arts, but The Last Dragon was a lot to take in, lol. It's terrible, but the good kind of terrible. Don't need to see it again, but it was worth the $3. 

See, now it is mumbo jumbo like that, and skinny little lizards like you thinkin' they the last dragon that gives kung-fu a bad name.

17 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Is the last dragon the shit one where they try to get the 'ready brek glow'? 

No, it is the awesome one where they get the glow.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Right, I know little of whatever Drake has acted in. My skepticism comes from his appearance,  he"s too heavy to play the slender Obama convincingly. And further my skepticism stems from he cant even sing without electronic aid so he likely hasn't developed  another "hidden craft" when the craft he's rich and famous for is sketchy and lucky that his audience doesnt care whether he can sing, read music or play an instrument.

Whomever plays Obama should be able to deliver a Kingsley as Gandhi, Will Smith as Ali, Oldham as Churchill level acting. Could Drake do it? 

Anything possible I suppose. I just know he doesn't engender much confidence out of me he's that guy, despite Sasha and Mahalia's confidence in him.

I could be wrong I mean that's why you have to see the performance to really know I suppose.

Eta: Have decided to further poll our Easter dinner audience on this topic. Shall report my findings whether they are in agreement or if they too are on the Drake bandwagon. 

Happy Easter Westerosi.

In don't know why musical talent or lack thereof is considered when discussing a person's suitability for an acting role (unless that role is a musician themselves). You seem to have a little more knowledge of Drake than I do as you seem more familiar with their music but your judgment seems based on a lot of baseless assumptions.

I don't feel strongly either way, as DMC said this isn't even some greenlit project and I don't know much about Drake outside of a passing awareness of their music.

Anyway, I'm lay in bed with a fruit smoothie ready to watch the Birdcage. Required viewing today

21 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

When the schnecken beckons

I need to look up this word to know what you’re talking about. 

But I’ll like your post beforehand anyway. 

Edit: Cinnamon Rolls! Those look like cinnamon rolls. 

4 hours ago, Mexal said:

Riviera on Amazon (think it's a Sundance show) is terrible... it's also addicting. One of those shows with stupidly rich people doing really terrible things for little reason but wearing nice clothes in nice places. Perfect backdrop for a lazy day where I play some video games.

I watched it for a while -- last year, was it?  I didn't get that far into it.  But it may have been the state of mind at the time?  It was one of the most watched series ITV ever did -- or was it Sky?  One of the British services.

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I watched it for a while -- last year, was it?  I didn't get that far into it.  But it may have been the state of mind at the time?  It was one of the most watched series ITV ever did -- or was it Sky?  One of the British services.

Think it's Sky if I remember correctly. Still terrible though somewhat entertaining.

13 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I mean Drakes a recording artist that has to resort to auto tune and I don't think he plays any instruments, can he read music? There's not much there that I'm confident in.

I don't think anyone is 'resorting' to autotune here. It is a stylistic choice, made possible by a phenomenally sophisticated piece of computer software. Still sounds shit though.

Can he read music? What has that got to do with anything, especially wrt to an acting role? I have news for you, most of the music you love was made by people who cannot read music.

Just finished Little Women (2019) and it was lovely. When it was first announced I felt very cynical about it, like why do we need to revisit this. But given what Greta Gerwig did with the story, it really outdid the 1994 version in many ways. I wasn't sold entirely on Mr. Chalamet but I thought Saoirse Ronan and Florence Pugh were great. 

9 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Eta: Have decided to further poll our Easter dinner audience on this topic. Shall report my findings whether they are in agreement or if they too are on the Drake bandwagon. 

So I polled the Easter table bubble as I said I would.

3 of the 4 fealt the guy who played Aaron Burr in the Hamilton play should be the Obama actor. None thought Drake would be  convincing in the role, although 2 gave him props for doing well in a serious role in the Degrassi thingy that was posted upthread.:D

Godzilla Vs Kong was terrible but in an entertaining way. It embraces how utterly stupid it is with phrases like "it had to be telepathic because it had a very long neck" and so many more stupid moments it's impossible to list - although I did enjoy that scientists were able to mimic an energy source just by scanning it and emailing said scan. Which would be a bit like being able to make artificial coal based on a scan of coal.

The human bits are utterly pointless and just get in the way. There's a "native" kid who gets dragged from one dangerous situation to another without anyone questioning whether they should be placing said kid in danger. And there's some other kids running around the world for no reason. But this doesn't matter as I'd say at least half the film is dedicated to Kong and Godzilla fighting (each other or other things).

I still think Godzilla changed in size several times depending on whether he was fighting Kong or not but nowhere near as bad as the sizeshifting in "king of monsters"

It easily surpasses the previous two Godzilla films. Better than skull Island in terms of monster fights although I guess skull Island was a "better" film in terms of story and knowing it was silly.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

Godzilla Vs Kong was terrible but in an entertaining way. It embraces how utterly stupid it is with phrases like "it had to be telepathic because it had a very long neck" and so many more stupid moments it's impossible to list - although I did enjoy that scientists were able to mimic an energy source just by scanning it and emailing said scan. Which would be a bit like being able to make artificial coal based on a scan of coal.

Spoiler

Through the Earth's crust, mind you. Or was the hole Godzilla made sufficient for transmittal? 

The moment I saw those anti-gravity ships, I asked myself why aren't they colonizing other planets already?

I don't think I've felt so sorry for the destruction of a city since Man of Steel.

Just about to start season 6 of The Shield. Great series. I think over the entire run so far, there has really only been one episode that I didn't like (the prequel from season 2 or 3, that one just made the world feel small with everyone starting at the same time) but all the others have been mostly fun so far.

I really like the blend this series offers between the newer Golden Era of TV show and more old-fashioned soapy elements. Couple that to great characters and you have a winning recipe.

On 4/3/2021 at 7:01 PM, Mexal said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Dutch wondering if he's a sociopath was such an interesting story choice.

I still want him to go down more than any of the villains in this series. Killing a cop or selling crack, fine by me, but no one murders a 

Spoiler

cat on my watch :P

Strange how you end up rooting for the bad guys and want the "relatively" good guys like 

Spoiler

Dutch and Acaveda go down more than Vick's crew. Even Shane, who is just a redneck idiot and murderer is more sympathetic. 

16 hours ago, Mexal said:

Think it's Sky if I remember correctly. Still terrible though somewhat entertaining.

It was on Sky. I did watch the first episode a while back but didn't feel like watching any more than that.

3 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:
  Hide contents

Through the Earth's crust, mind you. Or was the hole Godzilla made sufficient for transmittal? 

The moment I saw those anti-gravity ships, I asked myself why aren't they colonizing other planets already?

I don't think I've felt so sorry for the destruction of a city since Man of Steel.

My brother said exactly the same thing! 

That said I was amazed how people were still enjoying meals in restaurants while the fight was going on. Must have been good food and/or expensive.

On 4/2/2021 at 6:17 AM, Heartofice said:

Watched first episode of Invincible by Robert Kirkman on Amazon. Have to say, like the comic, which I’ve only read a couple of issues of.. I don’t really get it.

What is it trying to be? My first instinct was that it was some sort of parody of the superhero genre, but it plays too close to all known tropes without really parodying them. Is it a more human story , giving superheroes more down to earth lifestyles? Can’t tell, but that’s nothing we haven’t seen before.

So what is it ? With its bright, over the top costumes, animation straight out of the 90s and obvious superhero themes I’m really struggling to understand what Kirkman is going for? What’s the aim?

Plus, not only that, it’s full of long winded, bland dialogue scenes which are really not helped by the budget low frame animation that doesn’t give even a hint of facial expression. 

I have to agree with you. I guess the closest I can think of this show is trying to be is a dark comedy.

I've watched all the episode so far, and I hear people online who've read the comics absolutely gushing over the show, and I'm not sure why. There is nothing particularly original about it, but I guess that plot twist at the end of the first episode got everyone going. It was a good hook, but the show keeps alternating between the highly serious and the extremely silly. It falls somewhere in between The Boys and your typical superhero stuff, but the typical superhero stuff is more similar to the Arrowverse than the MCU, for example.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I have to agree with you. I guess the closest I can think of this show is trying to be is a dark comedy.

I've watched all the episode so far, and I hear people online who've read the comics absolutely gushing over the show, and I'm not sure why. There is nothing particularly original about it, but I guess that plot twist at the end of the first episode got everyone going. It was a good hook, but the show keeps alternating between the highly serious and the extremely silly. It falls somewhere in between The Boys and your typical superhero stuff, but the typical superhero stuff is more similar to the Arrowverse than the MCU, for example.

I've seen a few more episodes now and although it does pick up and becomes a little more interesting, it's still really not plowing any new ground. The whole genre is so played out that it needs a special voice to make it interesting or to put a unique take on it, and Kirkman really isn't doing that. He's simply not an interesting enough writer, god knows why I persisted reading Walking Dead as long as I did

Archived