Watch, Watched, Watching: Coming 2 America is the reward for our sinful life

Veltigar

On 3/17/2021 at 10:57 AM, Isis said:

I finished Behind Her Eyes and I think they did a good job with adapting it and the pacing of the backstory into the present day was just right. There was only one thing that wasn't quite right. 

I really enjoyed this one - though some of the ending's revelations felt pretty out there from a character perspective. Still fun though. 

I restarted Succession last week from the beginning and love it. Currently binging most of the second half of the first season, now into the finale. The characters are all pretty unlikeable... and yet I like them. Or like watching them anyway. 

Just finished season 1 of His Dark Materials. 

I've never read the novels but I was somewhat familiar with much of this season from the film that came out a few years back. It did just a little more than required to hold my attention. Well made, beautifully shot, good performances. But I wouldn't say it was "great". Maybe it's because much of it was spoiled by the film; I don't know.

Then I got to the season finale. Um, OK. Season 2 it is.

On 3/17/2021 at 8:08 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Finished season one of Rome. It's as good as I remember, but it still doesn't sit right with me how one character dies. Seems rather forced. Oh well. I'm going into season two blind, so that should be fun.

I'm also going to try and watch Parasite this morning because I have a decent amount of down time.

I revisit Rome every few years or so. Still holds up.

Season 2 is great, but I found it to be a bit of a gear change initially. Missing faces and all that.

I keep hearing that maybe Warner Media has the rights to I, Claudius. I would love to see a modern interpretation of that.

10 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Can't lie, Parasite was good, but not Best Picture good, though 2019 didn't have another film that felt like the obvious candidate.

I thought it was well deserved, but if I had a vote it probably would have went to 1917.

ETA: Also forgot about Portrait of a Lady on Fire.

1 hour ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Season 2 is great, but I found it to be a bit of a gear change initially. Missing faces and all that.

I've always avoided the second season, but I plan on watching it over the next few days.

14 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I thought it was well deserved, but if I had a vote it probably would have went to 1917.

Meh, 1917 is overrated in my book. Another very good, but not great film. But that's true of all the top films.

I really need to see this film.

I'm gonna fall asleep to The Wolf of Wall Street.

1917 was the only movie i saw from that year that was really deserving of the best picture nod.

I liked Parasite but I still don’t get the love even watching it a couple of times. Whereas watching 1917 twice ive been blown away by it every time.

Even at home on a tv it’s a very powerful experience. I know a lot of people on this board have had a sort of ‘wow’ reaction to the movie as well which is nice to note

There were some good above average movies on the list that year but no classics as far as I’m concerned. Joker managed to make it into the shortlist somehow and I thought the Irishman was garbage.

5 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I've never read the novels but I was somewhat familiar with much of this season from the film that came out a few years back. It did just a little more than required to hold my attention. Well made, beautifully shot, good performances. But I wouldn't say it was "great". Maybe it's because much of it was spoiled by the film; I don't know.

The film cannot hold a candle to the TV show. 

5 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I think that first season is awkward because the first book is awkward. The second season ramps things up and I think is a lot better,  but I’d say the same of the books. 

I honestly don’t remember much about the movie , but I’m kind of glad they stopped where they did. 

21 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Finally got around to watching The Two Popes, very nice, felt like a throwback to a different era of moviemaking.

Has anyone seen the 4 hour Zack Snyder Justice League?  Is anyone going to watch this?  Four hours?  FFS.

I got 5 mins into it and realised I never finished Batman v Superman so I went back and watched that for 3 hours and still working my way through this overly long mess of a film. Never saw the 2017 version so I'm going in blind as to what fans were upset about and what new things Snyder included/amended. I think I prefer the Barry Allen from the CW show to the one portrayed in this film and Affleck is still taking me a while to get used as Bruce Wayne. I can sit through hours of LOTR yet I find I need to watch these type of superhero shows in small doses.

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

1917 was the only movie i saw from that year that was really deserving of the best picture nod.

I liked Parasite but I still don’t get the love even watching it a couple of times. Whereas watching 1917 twice ive been blown away by it every time.

Even at home on a tv it’s a very powerful experience. I know a lot of people on this board have had a sort of ‘wow’ reaction to the movie as well which is nice to note

There were some good above average movies on the list that year but no classics as far as I’m concerned. Joker managed to make it into the shortlist somehow and I thought the Irishman was garbage.

1917 is beautiful and shot incredibly, but for me it's a middle of the pack war movie. I'd rather rewatch it than Parasite, but I'm not going to seek it out over a number of other war films.

Joker, IMO, wasn't all that great overall. Phoenix is great in it and deserved the Oscar, but again, not a film I plan on revisiting. Still have yet to finish the Irishman. Probably never will.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Joker, IMO, wasn't all that great overall. Phoenix is great in it and deserved the Oscar, but again, not a film I plan on revisiting. Still have yet to finish the Irishman. Probably never will.

Hoffa dies. 

Robert de Niro dishing out his decrepit-old-man-beatdown was one of the weirdest things in cinema in recent years.

Just because you can take forty years off an actor's face, doesn't mean you should do it.

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Robert de Niro dishing out his decrepit-old-man-beatdown was one of the weirdest things in cinema in recent years.

Just because you can take forty years off an actor's face, doesn't mean you should do it.

Yeah it’s like that whole George Lucas prequel thing of getting so enamoured with the technology you never bother to consider whether something looks terrible or not. 

11 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah it’s like that whole George Lucas prequel thing of getting so enamoured with the technology you never bother to consider whether something looks terrible or not. 

Years and years ago, I used to be in a rock band. We recorded a couple of LPs, and now and again, I'll stick one on for a wee nostalgia trip. And as an artist, I can tell you there isn't a track that I listen to now without wishing we'd done something differently. Whether it's a single, slightly bum note in a guitar solo, drums too high or vocals too low in the mix, there is always something.

Now, I don't know if Scorcese is the type to revisit his work, some artists cannot even bear to look at their shit once it's finished, but if he does I can guarantee, in ten years time, he'll be wishing he cast a younger actor for those parts.

30 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

But do they deage the actor playing him by 75 years?

Yes, he actually dies of the Benjamin Button disease. That's why they could never find the body. 

9 hours ago, Nictarion said:

If it had been nominated, I'd have 100% gone for it for best picture that year. It's so good.

The actual nominee list... like, yeah, that's a weak bloody year all considered. I'd have narrowed it to Parasite or 1917. Both had their pluses and minuses. I'm fine with Parasite.

38 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

The last third of The Irishman is by far the best part. Anyone that can’t be bothered to finish it is missing out. 

I'm down with long slow burns, Once Upon A Time in America is probably a top 5 movie for me all time, but The Irishman just dragged like crazy and an hour or so in I was so bored to pieces. Paused it and though I'd get back to it. Never did.

1 hour ago, Nictarion said:

The last third of The Irishman is by far the best part. Anyone that can’t be bothered to finish it is missing out. 

True. But the first 2/3 are pretty much of a slog and I say this as a huge fan of Scorsese and of mob films in general. 

Archived