NFL 2021 - The Houston Texans v Deshaun Watson

briantw

2 hours ago, briantw said:

I mean, you don't give up three firsts to trade up and grab a LT or a WR.  Jimmy's days are numbered.  If they take Fields or Jones, you might as well just send Jimmy packing right away, but if they take Lance I could see keeping Jimmy for the year since Lance is a more raw prospect with less experience. 

Yeah, keeping Jimmy clearly makes the most sense if they take Lance.  But regardless it's going to be quite awkward if he stays, and I suspect as the draft approaches they will get offers worthwhile enough to part with him.  Just hope Alex Smith stays unsigned in the meantime.

5 hours ago, DMC said:

Just hope Alex Smith stays unsigned in the meantime.

That would be my dream back up scenario.

Think pre injury Alex would actually have been pretty good in Shanny the Younger’s system.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Please don't make that man football anymore.

Unless you're talking about quality of performance, there are at least 100's of players for whom another NFL season would turn out to be more detrimental to long term health than Smith playing again.  Brain shit is way worse than leg shit.  I'm a let grown ups make their own choices guy, but realize that's not the flavor of the year.

6 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Unless you're talking about quality of performance, there are at least 100's of players for whom another NFL would turn out to be more detrimental to long term health than Smith playing again.  Brain shit is way worse than leg shit.  I'm a let grown ups make their own choices guy, but realize that's not the flavor of the year.

So you're anti giving a friend advice if you think s/he's making a bad decision? Smith probably shouldn't have returned in the first place, and basically everyone I heard discuss it was praying that he didn't reinjure his foot. He proved to himself he could comeback and earn unanimous praise from his peers, which is something athletes always talk about. But the continued risk is very high, he wasn't actually all that good and he's earned enough money to set his family up for generations. If I was his friend (and even more if I was his coach), I would advise him to retire and enjoy the next chapter of his life. It's not like he's going to win anything anyways.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

So you're anti giving a friend advice if you think s/he's making a bad decision? Smith probably shouldn't have returned in the first place, and basically everyone I heard discuss it was praying that he didn't reinjure his foot. He proved to himself he could comeback and earn unanimous praise from his peers, which is something athletes always talk about. But the continued risk is very high, he wasn't actually all that good and he's earned enough money to set his family up for generations. If I was his friend (and even more if I was his coach), I would advise him to retire and enjoy the next chapter of his life. It's not like he's going to win anything anyways.

I don't think Smith is actually anywhere near the edge case here.  As you say, he's made his money.  If his next post football best potential job is supermarket greeter, his family ought to be OK.  There are a lot more guys on the margin in the meat grinder that would be a more appropriate target for concern, is what I'm saying.

10 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

I don't think Smith is actually anywhere near the edge case here.  As you say, he's made his money.  If his next post football best potential job is supermarket greeter, his family ought to be OK.  There are a lot more guys on the margin in the meat grinder that would be a more appropriate target for concern, is what I'm saying.

You can smoke cigars and drink scotch at the same time, right?

Not literally the same time what with the single windpipe and all.  I just don't think you know what's better for Alex Smith than 8 figure net worth and not dependent on his next contract Alex Smith does.

7 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Not literally the same time what with the single windpipe and all.  I just don't think you know what's better for Alex Smith than 8 figure net worth and not dependent on his next contract Alex Smith does.

In college we used to do something called a grand slam. Take a bong hit, hold it, take a shot, drink a glass of wine, chug a beer then blow the smoke out. You can do it, big boi! 

Look, if Smith was set to sign a three year, $50m deal, I'd get it. But he's going to probably get back up money. That's not worth it if he has to come in and play serious time. 

I just like the guy and if he insists on playing somewhere, I’d like him to get the appreciation he deserves from San Fran.

That being said, I’m with you on what you said above.  I can kinda see how he “needed” to come back to prove he could.  Now he has and I doesnt have anything left to prove.  Retire with honor.  You have played well over your long career.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Man that sounds cheap.

I think they're lucky to get that much. Darnold could be unrepairable at this point, and frankly, he never looked that good to begin with. But I could still be biased given I thought he was the worst prospect of the five who got drafted in the first round the year he came out.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Man that sounds cheap.

I'm surprised they could get that much.  Who were the Panthers bidding against for him?  Anyone?  If the Panthers said "a third rounder and a 5th, no more", could the jets really get more than that?  I'm not sure. 

Darnold is the kind of project that most teams don't want to bother with.  His cheap rookie deal is almost up.  After that, even a best case scenario where he's a kirk cousins type, then you have to pay him a bunch of money to keep him.  

35 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'm surprised they could get that much.  Who were the Panthers bidding against for him?  Anyone?  If the Panthers said "a third rounder and a 5th, no more", could the jets really get more than that?  I'm not sure. 

Darnold is the kind of project that most teams don't want to bother with.  His cheap rookie deal is almost up.  After that, even a best case scenario where he's a kirk cousins type, then you have to pay him a bunch of money to keep him.  

That price tag is more reasonable, but Idk if it makes sense for the Panthers given that a broken Bridgewater is still better. And when it comes to the money, your trade offer would make it easier to cut bait if it didn't work out. But a second plus a mid and late round pick kind of forces you to resign assuming he isn't terrible. I thought the Falcons would make a lot of sense if they could get him for nothing, then turn around and trade Ryan for a first and few other picks, I'd assume.

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

But a second plus a mid and late round pick kind of forces you to resign assuming he isn't terrible.

If forces them to pick up his fifth year option, which will be expensive - $18.8 million.  But that gives them two years to see if it works before having to resign him.

9 minutes ago, DMC said:

If forces them to pick up his fifth year option, which will be expensive - $18.8 million.  But that gives them two years to see if it works before having to resign him.

Fair, but there's also the dead money cap hit from Teddy's contract to consider.  I just don't understand why the Panthers of all teams did this. Darnold hasn't proven to be any good and that's a lot to give up for him. 

Curious considering where they're picking in a draft that could see five QBs go in the top 10. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Fair, but there's also the dead money cap hit from Teddy's contract to consider.  I just don't understand why the Panthers of all teams did this. Darnold hasn't proven to be any good and that's a lot to give up for him. 

Curious considering where they're picking in a draft that could see five QBs go in the top 10. 

If he ends up being pretty good, then the picks are nothing though.

Maybe there are only three QB's in the draft that they value that high and that they know they will be gone by the time they are on the clock. If that's their thinking then this move makes sense. Burn a few picks and if he is good then you have your man, especially since he was so highly touted coming out and has been on a shit team up until now.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

there's also the dead money cap hit from Teddy's contract to consider.

Well, obviously this year yeah, but his dead cap figure for next year's "only" $5 million.

6 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Maybe there are only three QB's in the draft that they value that high and that they know they will be gone by the time they are on the clock.

I think this shows the Panthers anticipated that, at the least, four quarterbacks will be off the board with the first four picks. 

Archived