Falcon and The Winter Soldier (spoilers)

Ser Scot A Ellison

13 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I was just rereading some of the Captaon America comics that had the guy who made the shield...#302 and #303 if you care...the original shield is only part vibranium, as he was experimenting with other things too, fell asleep waiting on some things to heat up, and never was able to figure out how the metals bonded and that was that...

Ah, yeah, that's right.

He later tried to recreate it and ended up inventing adamantium instead. What a loser.

5 hours ago, mormont said:

I think it says something about this series that the breakout character is the guy who killed T'Challa's father and blew up the UN.

Well, to be fair, they basically retconned his entire character outside of his underlying motivation from Civil War.

This better lead to a Thunderbolts series.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

Well, to be fair, they basically retconned his entire character outside of his underlying motivation from Civil War.

This better lead to a Thunderbolts series.

He spent 8 years in prison after trying to kill himself. That might change a person no retcons necessary imo. 

38 minutes ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

That might change a person no retcons necessary imo. 

Yeah but the problem is that (1) there was no indication he was a Baron with  1%er wealth  in civil war- if anything it implied he didn't have- and (2) the show quite specifically shows that some of this flashy stuff is a lifestyle he is returning to not grasping on escape from jail.

I don't mind- it's an improvement.

I do mind how dumb every single character apart from Zemo and, if she is Power Broker, Sharon are though. I mean it's just a continuous cavalcade of idiotic decisions. It's fun and I am enjoying it but it's silly even when it's not necessarily trying to be. 

39 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah but the problem is that (1) there was no indication he was a Baron with  1%er wealth  in civil war- if anything it implied he didn't have- and (2) the show quite specifically shows that some of this flashy stuff is a lifestyle he is returning to not grasping on escape from jail.

I don't mind- it's an improvement.

I do mind how dumb every single character apart from Zemo and, if she is Power Broker, Sharon are though. I mean it's just a continuous cavalcade of idiotic decisions. It's fun and I am enjoying it but it's silly even when it's not necessarily trying to be. 

We see Zemo in a hotel room he set up to pretend to be someone else who is not rich. His plan clearly involved money as bombs and EMP devices are not cheap. He is trying to keep a low profile for the entire movie. There is no indication that he is not rich and he clearly had the funds to finance his plans.

3 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

We see Zemo in a hotel room he set up to pretend to be someone else who is not rich. His plan clearly involved money as bombs and EMP devices are not cheap. He is trying to keep a low profile for the entire movie. There is no indication that he is not rich and he clearly had the funds to finance his plans.

No doubt they don't ever say he wasn't a Baron, but you'd think that'd be one of the first things they'd bring up when describing him, probably second only to his special forces training.  Knowing a terrorist is European royalty with access to a vast fortune certainly seems relevant when you're trying to hunt him down.

Why must it be an entirely new shield? The Wakandans could have taken the pieces of the broken shield, smelted it down and reforged it.  A favour to Steve Rogers before he returned the Infinity Stones to their places in the timeline.

9 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

The Wakandans could have taken the pieces of the broken shield, smelted it down and reforged it.

So is the second shield Anduril, Oathkeeper, or Widow's Wail?

29 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

Good question!  Also, why does the shield cut a good six inches into a tree while only bouncing off people?  Is it +10 vs. wood or something?!:P

Realistically, Zemo should be fucking dead from eating that shield to the side of the head in the last episode.  He's just a guy.  

11 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Why must it be an entirely new shield? The Wakandans could have taken the pieces of the broken shield, smelted it down and reforged it.  A favour to Steve Rogers before he returned the Infinity Stones to their places in the timeline.

I don’t think he has it with him when he gets on the platform. Still possible, but weird to go to all that trouble and then leave it. Unless he’d really thought about this, knew he was gonna stay with Peggy and stashed the shield somewhere for his older self to pick up later?

On 4/11/2021 at 2:54 AM, Luzifer's right hand said:

They could have cast a few more native German speakers. I kinda ruined the flow in episode 3 for me.

Edit: although I have to admit that I have no idea how well Daniel Brühl speaks Russian and native speakers of that language might feel the same way. 

Every time someone speaks Russian in the MCU, I quietly sigh, on account of how bad it is.

3 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Every time someone speaks Russian in the MCU, I quietly sigh, on account of how bad it is.

The Americans solved this problem by actually having Russians playing Russians, for the most part.

10 hours ago, Prince of the North said:

Good question!  Also, why does the shield cut a good six inches into a tree while only bouncing off people?  Is it +10 vs. wood or something?!:P

The canonical answer to this and other physics-defying feats of shield-slinging performed by Steve (and now John) is that they practised. A lot.

On 4/11/2021 at 3:44 AM, briantw said:

I hope the twist at the end is that Zemo is the new Captain America.  He's the hero we need.

That would be a fun inversion of the thunderbolts concept. Maybe have the team police super powered individuals (good and bad)

Plus, Bruhl deserves more screen time as he's clearly having a lot of fun and selling the character change

Archived