Do You see Tyrion Lannister as an overall good or bad character?

Walter White

On 3/25/2021 at 9:25 AM, CamiloRP said:

You know, I've seen similar posts before, about not only Tyrion, but also Victarion, Jaime, Euron, etc.

I don't get them. I like Dany, I really do, and amongst the candidates for King she's probably the best one, but Tyrion has ruled in the past and he was a good ruler, and I mean good like Aegon V, not like Tywin, the things that make him 'bad' are not ruling decisions or policies, they are rape, murder, torture, if he joins Dany and still rapes and murders and all that, then he would still be a horrible person, the same way Daario is a horrible person. 

Daenerys will give him a better purpose in life.  What Tyrion needs is to leave his past behind, accept that he's a dwarf, that people will be prejudiced against him for that.  Having a greater purpose other than getting drunk and whoring will make him useful to somebody with a greater destiny, like Daenerys.  I will readily forgive Tyrion for all of his past deeds if he devotes himself to serving Daenerys and then helping her take and rule Westeros.  I have read some of your posts in the past and it could be that you and I will not agree.  Which is fine by me.  To me, Daenerys is the hero of the story.  Tyrion will be on the side of the righteous if he chooses to faithfully serve her.  

5 hours ago, Willam Stark said:

Tyrion is a grey character overall, of course he became darker in ADWD but he still have a good side, we have seen it with Penny.

We have yet to confirm that Penny is still alive after Tyrion's homicidal rage white out in TWOW.  When Tyrion stepped out of that tent, did he leave a living Penny or a strangled corpse?  In any event, that was a close enough call that I think Penny probably ought to stay away from him.

You get the impression that Tyrion is a good guy, because he's surrounded by people like Joffrey, Tywin and Cersei who are really mean and despicable people.

But the bottom line is that he killed his father and the woman he loved because he felt betrayed. He didn't have to, but he did it anyway.

Shae has the right to fuck whoever she wants, she's a whore.

She doesn't just belong to Tyrion.

On 4/24/2021 at 11:57 PM, Hug-hammer said:

You get the impression that Tyrion is a good guy, because he's surrounded by people like Joffrey, Tywin and Cersei who are really mean and despicable people.

But the bottom line is that he killed his father and the woman he loved because he felt betrayed. He didn't have to, but he did it anyway.

Shae has the right to fuck whoever she wants, she's a whore.

She doesn't just belong to Tyrion.

She is free to fuck whomever.

She is not free to attempt to have him executed by lying in court. That is a crime, both in westeros, and in our world. I my view lying to get someone executed, or lying in court about someone being a murderer/kinslayer/regislayer is a very severe crime, just as bad as commiting the act itself. 

As I read the chapter that was the reason for Tyrion killing her. 

Under Westerosi standard, which have been applied to Daenaries and Ned, Tyrion is entitled to revenge/justice, and he has no other way of getting justice. 

18 hours ago, DetärJag said:

She is not free to attempt to have him executed by lying in court. That is a crime, both in westeros, and in our world. I my view lying to get someone executed, or lying in court about someone being a murderer/kinslayer/regislayer is a very severe crime, just as bad as commiting the act itself. 

The revenge murder of court witnesses is not justice and does not serve the cause of justice.  It's just revenge murder.

As I read the chapter that was the reason for Tyrion killing her. 

He killed her because she called him a giant of a Lannister, reminding him of his humiliation.  And because she did not really love him.

Under Westerosi standard, which have been applied to Daenaries and Ned, Tyrion is entitled to revenge/justice, and he has no other way of getting justice. 

Nobody is entitled to the revenge murder of court witnesses.  The successful use of this defense would, at best, only get you acquitted of the original murder only to be deservedly hanged for the second murder.

11 hours ago, DetärJag said:

She is not free to attempt to have him executed by lying in court. That is a crime, both in westeros, and in our world

The crime was probably Cersei's.

Cersei was 'questioning' Sansa's maids before the trial, and she probably made threats as well as promises.

6 minutes ago, nyser1 said:

By whose standards? 2021 Wokieland or GRRM’s Westeros?

2021 Wokieland, :rofl:. Nobody in  Westeros gives one whit about Shae. 

Just now, Springwatch said:

Cersei was 'questioning' Sansa's maids before the trial, and she probably made threats as well as promises.

Probably, knowing Cersei.

On 4/26/2021 at 1:53 PM, nyser1 said:

By whose standards? 2021 Wokieland or GRRM’s Westeros?

Surely those are not the only options?  Anyhow "Westeros" itself does not have a moral perspective, but some of the characters do.  And perhaps the author does too for all I know.

Book Tyrion is in the grey, he isn’t the Dinklage. In the first book I would have painted him more on the good guy side. By the end of book five, the opposite.

Seems to me he was always rather vile.  Remember when he tried to corrupt Jon with his poisonous self-pity doctrine?  Remember when Donal Noye had to talk him down from that, and undo the damage?  Remember how he treated his manservants as expendable, and snorted in contempt when they died defending his life?  Remember when those clever direwolves correctly assessed his character?  Remember when he sent his most vicious thug to commandeer a sex toy for him, and then chose not to question too closely the methods used?

Archived