US Politics: Guns versus Butter

DMC

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I know this isn't the Chauvin Trial thread, but his lawyers' arguments defy even the most basic concepts of logic. 

And yet that acquittal is gonna come round just the same.

7 minutes ago, Comrade Jace, Leftist said:

Come here and kick this football, Charlie Brown.

This doesn't feel like Blair Walsh missing a 27 yard FG.

And in the least shocking news category, Gaetz is now being investigated for possibly having a sexual relationship with a 17 year old. If true, I'm stunned. Stunned, I say, Jace!

25 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Only partially. Just read the link and the details are similar to the other reports I've seen. I always wonder why public figures intentionally do more things to attract attention to themselves when they know they have a bad story about them that's about to get out a bit later. These allegations were not something that caught him and his team by surprise. They've been talking about it all at length for probably far longer than the article reported.

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Only partially. Just read the link and the details are similar to the other reports I've seen. I always wonder why public figures intentionally do more things to attract attention to themselves when they know they have a bad story about them that's about to get out a bit later. These allegations were not something that caught him and his team by surprise. They've been talking about it all at length for probably far longer than the article reported.

funniest shit is in Gatez's tweets about it he mentioned he was already thinking of not running or leaving congress early or something.  Which totally jives with his attention seeking behavior.  Dude has been gunning to be a Big Deal.

Watch him blame it all on his large adult son Nestor.

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Narcissism. I haven't paid a huge amount of attention to Mr. Gaetz, but the little bit I know makes me think he probably is fairly high on the narcissism scale. You don't have to be quite as narcissistic as Donald Trump to have the belief you can get away with anything, and that almost anything you would do is automatically OK even if it's not when others do it. 

5 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

funniest shit is in Gatez's tweets about it he mentioned he was already thinking of not running or leaving congress early or something.  Which totally jives with his attention seeking behavior.  Dude has been gunning to be a Big Deal.

Watch him blame it all on his large adult son Nestor.

He's one of the most obvious frauds in Congress, and all it's done is reward him. Why wouldn't he want to leave for a huge pay deal on TV? Wouldn't you make 100 times more to work way less and feed into, as Ormond correctly pointed out, obvious narcissism, if you could pretend to crawl into that piece of shit's head?

6 minutes ago, Ormond said:

Narcissism. I haven't paid a huge amount of attention to Mr. Gaetz, but the little bit I know makes me think he probably is fairly high on the narcissism scale. You don't have to be quite as narcissistic as Donald Trump to have the belief you can get away with anything, and that almost anything you would do is automatically OK even if it's not when others do it. 

Certainly, and Gaetz is actually comparable to Trump in several ways, but the major difference in my opinion is something we've long discussed about Trump. I said very early on that I thought Trump has NPD. I don't think Gaetz does, at all. He's much more in line with the mainstream understanding of an everyday narcist. 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm not so sure about that. The prosecution is doing a very good job and the defense has literally nothing. 

They have white people on the jury they selected, and all they need is one. 

3 minutes ago, Karlbear said:

They have white people on the jury they selected, and all they need is one. 

This is a bit of a dangerous take as it assumes too much and establishes an unrealistic starting place. There were always going to be white people on the jury. That doesn't mean they can't be fair. 

The prosecution is putting forth a very strong argument. The defense has been pathetic. Let the process play out and have faith in justice. Because if this goes the way you and Jace think, shit, the city I basically lived in or around most of my life is going to see absolute chaos.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

This is a bit of a dangerous take as it assumes too much and establishes an unrealistic starting place. There were always going to be white people on the jury. That doesn't mean they can't be fair. 

In this case it does. The important point is not that they were white. It was that they were white people that the defense selected.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

The prosecution is putting forth a very strong argument. The defense has been pathetic. Let the process play out and have faith in justice. Because if this goes the way you and Jace think, shit, the city I basically lived in or around most of my life is going to see absolute chaos.

Yes, let's definitely put faith in a justice system that got us to...this spot. That sounds rational. 

5 minutes ago, Karlbear said:

In this case it does. The important point is not that they were white. It was that they were white people that the defense selected.

Yes, let's definitely put faith in a justice system that got us to...this spot. That sounds rational. 

The defense was always going to select white people. That's again admitting defeat before the game starts. And I want to have faith in the justice system because if not this case, there's not going to be a case in which justice is served for a while. Everyone saw what happened. It was gratuitous to a point where even many who would normally defend the police had to admit it was fucked up. The jury was selected from an area that is more diverse than most places in the Midwestern. The judge does seem to be unlikable, but I also trust my former boss when she vouches for him. I know the record in these cases is not good, but this could well be a difference and a possible turning point. Don't assume this one is an automatic loss. 

The evidence in this case is more compelling than in previous police killings like Michael Brown.  I expect Chauvin will see jail time, although the weakass manslaughter charge is a real possibility. 

Police rarely go to jail for on duty murders, but it's not like it's never happened.  The cop who shot Walter Scott in SC got 20 years, because it was videotaped.

Archived