US Politics: Guns versus Butter

DMC

36 minutes ago, Fury Resurrected said:

I mean sure, fuck Boehner. I wouldn’t hang out with the guy. But it *is* a positive thing for the country that any Republican will speak publicly in this way. We are at the point of violent capitol storming and most of them aren’t even saying that it’s bad. The guy doesn’t deserve a medal or a clean slate, but someone with an R next to their name needs to say this stuff and the more awful I think they are the more it might get through to someone who hasn’t had a problem with this shit so far.

Sure, and if it did end up having any positive impact like that, that'd be great.

But my feeling is that Boehner's primary motivation here is trying to clean up his legacy. And that the intended audience here are the media and the Aaron Sorkin-types who long to hear the words of a "sane Republican" again.

I can't imagine anyone who was still pro-Republican after Jan. 6 will read this, or likely even hear about it.

There are so many crimes to prosecute with Gaetz -- woo maybe he and previous can go to Guantánamo together?  With those crimes, some federal, some state, and such variety, he is surely going to face indictment and trial, right? if not, you know, if a jury trial taking place in Florida, a prison sentence?  But he will have to leave Congress right?  There wouldn't even have to be a procedure and vote?  He would just be 'canceled' out of it due to rule and law and regulation?  Not that this seems to have applied much in places like Alabama and others though.  They just got voted right back.

38 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Boehner sounding a little bit sauced here taking a shot at Ted Cruz:

audio NSFW:

Hopefully someone will clip all of those because that's hilarious but I'm not about to listen to Boehner's entire book for them, nor am I about to pay for it and give that man any money. 

20 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I’m just going to start throwing in “Fuck Ted Cruz” as my tag-line at the end of every conversation.

*clears throat, applies politician voice*

"It is of the utmost importance that we make sure that every child has fair access to education, that we be good stewards of our world so that we can pass it along to the next generation, that we reform the judicial system, in the courts, in our daily interactions with law enforcement and in our prisons, that we eliminate all food deserts in our great country and that we make sure we enact much needed changes in our healthcare system. Also, fuck Tex Cruz."

Has a nice ring to it.

32 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

There were four people shot and killed yesterday, so a third mass shooting in two weeks. Back to normal indeed!

Bird, this is not a mass shooting. This was a security event. 

The fucking fencing is not going away in May, nor the National Guard. 

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

*clears throat, applies politician voice*

"It is of the utmost importance that we make sure that every child has fair access to education, that we be good stewards of our world so that we can pass it along to the next generation, that we reform the judicial system, in the courts, in our daily interactions with law enforcement and in our prisons, that we eliminate all food deserts in our great country and that we make sure we enact much needed changes in our healthcare system. Also, fuck Tex Cruz."

Has a nice ring to it.

Truly a Cato the Elder for a modern age.

13 minutes ago, kairparavel said:

Bird, this is not a mass shooting. This was a security event. 

The fucking fencing is not going away in May, nor the National Guard. 

I meant the shooting in California where 5 people were shot, 4 dead, by someone who knew them, a family thing I guess. That was the third, not this security horror.

Gross.  Police officers getting murdered for being police is extremely sad and very bad for society.  The many transgressions perpetrated by other police officers in this country does not change that fact in the slightest. 

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/voting-rights-mlb-kemp-georgia-baseball

MLB Moves All-Star Game Out Of Atlanta Over Restrictive Voting Law

Major League Baseball commissioner Robert Manfred Jr. announced Friday that the All-Star Game and 2021 draft will be moved from Atlanta after Gov. Brian Kemp (R) signed a restrictive voting bill into law last week.

“Major League Baseball fundamentally supports voting rights for all Americans and opposes restrictions to the ballot box,” the statement read, adding that the new host city is yet to be decided.

ETA: suspect of Capitol incident is 25 yo man from Indiana.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Gross.  Police officers getting murdered for being police is extremely sad and very bad for society.  The many transgressions perpetrated by other police officers in this country does not change that fact in the slightest. 

I'll save my pearl clutching for a profession that isn't an organized gang terrorizing citizens - most particularly minorities.

I'll have sympathy for police when police unions and fraternal orders start to actually act like "bad apples" need to be torn out rather than coddled. As a white man, I've never had an interaction with the police that I'd describe as positive and they sure as shit treated me better than if I was a minority.

Eta - also unclear that any recent shooting specifically targeted police. I haven't seen that anywhere. 

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

MLB Moves All-Star Game Out Of Atlanta Over Restrictive Voting Law

Gotta say, this seems like a weird precedent.  The boycott push in general, really.  Georgia is just going to be the first of many, or most..or virtually all, red states to pass more extensive voter suppression laws before the midterms.  Are we going to boycott all red states?  I mean, personally I'm cool with that, but I'm not sure such an effort is going to sustain when it means half the country.

2 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Boehner sounding a little bit sauced here taking a shot at Ted Cruz

Boehner getting wasted and crying about what the GOP did to him is how I've imagined he's spent most of his time the past five years.

4 minutes ago, Week said:

I'll save my pearl clutching for a profession that isn't an organized gang terrorizing citizens - most particularly minorities.

Eta - also unclear that any recent shooting specifically targeted police. I haven't seen that anywhere. 

Specific shooting?  Two officers were intentionally rammed by a car, and one of them has died.

I don't think I'd want to live in a country where the majority of people are indifferent or happy about policemen being murdered on the street.  Other crimes perpetrated by other police officers does not change that at all. 

Just now, Maithanet said:

I don't think I'd want to live in a country where the majority of people are indifferent or happy about policemen being murdered on the street. 

Neither would I. I think, fortunately, that opinions of random people you may come across on the Internet are not reflective of anything like what the median American might believe. You tend to come across the extreme ends of the spectrums online as the most vocal groups.

Archived