Gwynne - Dislocation of Reviews

Garlan the Gallant

I have read John Gwynne’s first book many years ago when it first came out. I remember it being mediocre at best. I don’t remember much but I do remember there being a rip off of aSoIaF where the good guys are slaughtered and someone survives swearing to seek revenge. I also remember the teenage main character being married to the most beautiful woman ever who was forced to marry him but who loves him.

This may be a totally inaccurate description, but the bottom line is the book in my opinion wasn’t very good.

Flash forward to the present and people are singing his praises as being one of the best authors of the modern age. That his books are grim dark and wholly original.

Did I miss something or are people just disillusioned? 

On 3/24/2021 at 4:04 PM, Garlan the Gallant said:

Flash forward to the present and people are singing his praises as being one of the best authors of the modern age. That his books are grim dark and wholly original.

Did I miss something or are people just disillusioned? 

Who the heck are you listening to?

I haven't read either yet, but for some reason Malice by John Gwynne and Red Knight by Miles Cameron have merged into the same book in my mind. No idea why (apart from both being action-fantasies published almost simultaneously).

Archived