[spoilers]Inside Winterfell DWD WOW - Northern Conspiracy

Hippocras

On 5/15/2021 at 7:16 AM, Hippocras said:

As a result of other, seemingly unrelated discussions I am beginning to speculate on the possible relevance of the events in the North after the Dance, and the not yet written story about the She-Wolves of Winterfell to what is currently taking place in the North. In general I am curious about the female line and how it relates to magic, and to what extent warging and other magical abilities are genetic.

Word. It makes sense that D&E will fill in some gaps for us about the history of Stark. Like the first book explained Targs, the second explained the time and the third explained Blackfyre. It is interesting though that Winds is (in theory) coming out before D&E so maybe itll be foreshadowing for Dream of Spring.

I think its probable that skinchanging is hereditary, like Targaryen dreams, but im not entirely convinced. Bloodraven makes no mention of this, for example. Theres also the stigma that comes from skinchangers which shouldnt be frowned upon if Stark skinchanger has ruled for 5000 years. (Not that I believe that number)

Then again how any family can rule for 5000 years is the same reason this family will win the NT, skinchanging superpowers. 

I like to think the kids were chosen and given powers by their pups but it makes no real difference. What is evident though is somethings up with Blackwood

Alysanne Blackwood was the second wife of Cregan Stark with whom she had no sons but many daughters. We don't know where any of those daughters ended up but it strikes me as very interesting that, not long after fighting in a war on behalf of Rhaenyra, Alysanne's daughters were passed over in the Stark succession in favour of younger half-brothers by Cregan's third wife. This strikes me as something that would likely lead to a great deal of tension. Tensions that may reveal hidden motives in how the various Northern houses make decisions in the Winds of Winter, depending on if those houses count one of the daughters of Alysanne as an ancestor.

I dont think theres any lingering claims from the time of the Dance as we would have probably heard about it, plus it was so long ago.

Whats less long ago is Rickards aunts, whom Catelyn recognizes there descendants to be Robbs closest trueborn blood relatives. Again a timeline could be consulted but judging from the approximate time its not unbelievable to think these great great aunts could be the central figures in the next D&E.

Catelyn agreed. "You must name another heir, until such time as Jeyne gives you a son." She considered a moment. "Your father's father had no siblings, but his father had a sister who married a younger son of Lord Raymar Royce, of the junior branch. They had three daughters, all of whom wed Vale lordlings. A Waynwood and a Corbray, for certain. The youngest . . . it might have been a Templeton, but . . ."

Since Ser Duncan cant even lose a joust without turning Westeros into upheaval theres probably going to be some fun drama that will mirror the NT. And since theyre all lady starks I think it shows that the main contenders will be Sansa and Arya, maybe even Aryas. 

House Karstark. To what point back in time does their kinship with the Starks date back to, and how often do the families join?

Like, forever ago. When the Sunset Kingdoms still built castles, though less then 5000 years when Brandon the Builder picked up his first shovel

"The blood of the First Men flows in my veins as much as yours, boy. You would do well to remember that. I was named for your grandfather. I raised my banners against King Aerys for your father, and against King Joffrey for you. At Oxcross and the Whispering Wood and in the Battle of the Camps, I rode beside you, and I stood with Lord Eddard on the Trident. We are kin, Stark and Karstark."

"This kinship did not stop you from betraying me," Robb said. "And it will not save you now. Kneel, my lord."

Lord Rickard had spoken truly, Catelyn knew. The Karstarks traced their descent to Karlon Stark, a younger son of Winterfell who had put down a rebel lord a thousand years ago, and been granted lands for his valor. The castle he built had been named Karl's Hold, but that soon became Karhold, and over the centuries the Karhold Starks had become Karstarks.

"Old gods or new, it makes no matter," Lord Rickard told her son, "no man is so accursed as the kinslayer."

It doesnt seem like their relations are that close, certainly cant be closer then Rickards aunt and Dunks decedents (lol imagine). It appears that Karstark just wanted to make a nice speech and sprinkled a little disgusting racism in there, and since Karstark was a disgusting child murderer it comes together nicely 

Archived