How much punishment is enough?

Moiraine Sedai

13 hours ago, Prince Rhaego Targaryen said:

But only among equals in-story. Tywin could murder peasants as much as he wished and his peers will look the other way. 

There is truth in that, although had the BWB captured Tywin, I'm sure his end would have been brutal.

On 3/25/2021 at 1:00 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

How much punishment is enough?  I'll use Theon's example. He killed two boys. Is there enough punishment to make him pay for what he did?  

Look at the bigger picture. Is there a point where more punishment is no longer logical?  A mass murderer of the innocent can only pay with one life: his.  Is there anything else left to do to punish the criminal?  

*I don't usually reveal personal info but this ? of punishment came up for discussion during a recent family dinner. Recent news events brought up the topic of appropriate punishment*

Not true.  Theon can be forced back as a wight.  He can continue to do time and take punishment beyond his death.  A wight is a slave.  Examples: Weymar continues to pay for his arrogance.  Cat is still suffering for her part in starting the war. 

On 3/27/2021 at 5:55 AM, CamiloRP said:

Punishment is not meant to be preventive. ...

If you want to prevent theft and robbery, the solution is having people not need to do such things ...

If the crime is rape, the method of prevention is believing women, ...

Punishment is also not meant to help the victims ...

It's OK, ideas are worth nothing if not argued ;)

I'm sorry, I don't have the energy, time, or patience to do this. We are simply too far apart.

11 hours ago, corbon said:

If you want to prevent theft and robbery, the solution is having people not need to do such things ...

And then we'll have prancing unicorns farting rainbows. I hate to say it, but you can never stop crime completely.

13 hours ago, corbon said:

I'm sorry, I don't have the energy, time, or patience to do this. We are simply too far apart.

It's okay, I wasn't planing on making it go forever, I got too much work, I just wanted to explain my views.

2 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

And then we'll have prancing unicorns farting rainbows.

Like we are know, with a system that works perfectly.

I hate to say it, but you can never stop crime completely.

I never said completely. But incarceration hasn't stopped crime, hasn't it?

3 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

And then we'll have prancing unicorns farting rainbows. I hate to say it, but you can never stop crime completely.

Please be careful about attribution of words. The ones you quoted and somehow managed to do it in my name, were not mine. 

2 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

I got it from Camilo's quote on your post, I'm sorry.

<giving an example of adding internal quotes>

On 3/27/2021 at 5:55 AM, CamiloRP said:

If you want to prevent theft and robbery, the solution is having people not need to do such things

I only use a laptop here - phone is too unwieldy IMO.
When you quote someone, you lose their quotes from their post. If you want to keep the original quotes (admittedly its usually too much bother in a conversation, but in this case you wanted to) instead of cut and pasting direct, which leads to mis-attribution, you can right click the little bent arrow in the top comer of the internal quote in the post you are quoting to open the original post in a new tab. There you can highlight the required text, use the quote selection box that comes up to create a new post with the relevant quote correctly attributed, and cut and paste that whole quote including attribution back where you wanted it before closing the I-just-wanted-the-quote pre-post tab without posting it.
 I've done that above to show you. Its much more complicated to explain than do. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/25/2021 at 12:00 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

How much punishment is enough?  I'll use Theon's example. He killed two boys. Is there enough punishment to make him pay for what he did?  

I don't want to "make him pay." I want him to admit what he did was wrong, and mean it.

If he lives, he should have to sit with that in his conscious for a long while in some capacity. I don't care if it's in prison or not.

I don't want punishment of anyone in the story. I want atonement and making amends like the 12 step program advocates. 

Archived